Are There Any Dancers Here?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Jul 3, 2013 5:11am
via Android

I do jazz, ballet, HBCU style, hip-hop, etc. I'm here because i want to tone up and maintain and perfect my body and better my cardio health. Are there any dancers here, if so what are your favorite workouts here and what's a good way to learn to enjoy running?

Image_thumb
81 Posts
Jul 3, 2013 9:10am
via Android

I used to do ballroom for a couple of years but just as a hobby.

Image_thumb
147 Posts
Jul 3, 2013 10:18am
via iOS
It depends where you're running. If you run around the block or something, all I can say is to have music on and run to certain places and back. 

If you run on spot in your room like I do, I usually put things across my room and I run towards them and try to see how many times I can reach them. Of course you can't actually run-run (unless your room is huge or you're running around your house) so I run on the spot while moving forward slowly in my room.
03 Jul
Thanks!!
Image_thumb
10 Posts
Jul 3, 2013 10:30am
via Android

I do freestyle, zumba and belly dancing. I like to do Core the Pilates Way to stretch and strengthen, Quick Fitness Challenge, and  One Legged Balance Test to test myself and i feel more aware of my balance of my movements in general which helps self-awareness when you dance. There are other excercises, but i just like to work on my flexibility, core and cardio . Also I find running boring too, maybe vary your pace and run in intervals? There are programs for this also on skimble. Hope that helped!

03 Jul
Thank you!!
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Jul 3, 2013 12:37pm
via iOS
I do ballet And jazz
Image_thumb
70 Posts
Jul 4, 2013 5:50am
via iOS
I don't dance anymore besides for fun with my kids, but I danced from second grade through college.  Along the way I have done contemporary and traditional ballet/pointe, lyrical, modern, jazz, tap, hip-hop, musical theater, mime, swing dance, waltz, two-step, African, cheerleading, and pom.  

For running, I started with Couch to 5K and after completing that 3 times and running in a few races, I have now moved up to Couch to 10K.  I have also added sprints.  The most inspiring thing to me is being outside with nature, as well as acomplishing small goals and being proud of my body's abilities.  On the rare occasion I run indoors on the treadmill, I have to have music!!!  Upbeat, hip-hop style music and inspirational lyrics can get me through just about anything.  I also only run 3-4 days a week so I don't get bored and on alternating days I do workouts that incorporate dance, like Zumba and TurboFire (though TF doesn't have much dance...) or take a walk.  To tone muscles, I do Pilates or workouts on BodyRockTV.  BodyRock does not have an app, so I am trying this one out in its place.  I do a lot of stretching and yoga to keep my muscles loose and prevent injury.  

If you are wanting to get into running, I really recommend doing couch to 5K, And sign up for a race in the fall so you have a goal/time limit!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51