I want some healthy advice..

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Sep 5, 2013 5:03pm
via Android

a year ago i gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. and i gained about 35lbs. i know it dont seem much but it is for me. i used to be 115 and im 5'4. i wanna be fit again and not let myself go. i wanna be fit for healthy reasons and feel good about the way i look. all im asking is advice on what i should do. i just wanna lose 35lbs and be toned. how do i get the body i want and how long will it take? i used to work out with my dad 3yrs ago but i never had to lose weight.

Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 5, 2013 6:10pm
via iOS
What do you mean, 35 pounds is not a lot? Of course it is! In your case, that is a 30% increase of your overall weight within a year.

You might want to figure out your body fat and monitor your diet by using apps like MyFitnessPal to see if you are not having too much of one thing and not enough of another. Having a baby probably changed your diet as well, and while that diet was good for a pregnant woman, it might not work for a young mom (you probably took up some habits during pregnancy that you are still carrying on with).

Whatever changes you make, don't try to turn everything around overnight. Instead of switching toward your ideal diet tomorrow morning, work towards it gradually. Same thing for workouts. You will find that it is easier to be motivated and keep it up. You can't get into a bunch of habits all at once.

Don't try losing all of the 35 pounds by this and that date. Work with milestones instead. Shorter deadlines, less weight. It's easier to manage and you will have less trouble staying motivated because your goal is in the near future, not in a year.

Also, you might not need to lose all of the 35 pounds. You might only need to lose 32. Pregnancy and birthing change your body forever. As long as you are healthy and look good, don't try to fight those permanent changes. Otherwise, you might end up yoyo dieting. When you get close to your ultimate goal, instead of concentrating on a number, concentrate on how you feel and how you look. If you feel good about yourself, it would be futile to lose some extra weight.
05 Sep
EXCELLENT sound advice! Going to follow it myself!! I've gained 30+ lbs in a years time some due to quitting smoking ... most due to boredom eating! It is a lot of weight even on a 5'9 body! I got this!! :)
05 Sep
Actually, that boredom eating just might really be due to quitting smoking. I just quit smoking, too. When you quit, you cut much of your dopamine intake. Eating is another way to boost dopamine levels, so you end up replacing cigarettes with food just to feel good. I know the feeling! That's how I ended up here after I quit. i found out that working out can provide similar highs to eating. It is definitely healthier! ;)
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 6:55am
via iOS
Wake up early, eat healthy,

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51