Getting fit for golf

4 posts | Original | Recent
124 Posts
Nov 29, 2013 6:27am
via Android

So I've been doing a lot of ab exercises and a lot of chest and arm exercises to get ready for golf. I've also done a few leg exercises as well which along with my ab exercises have seemed to help with my balance and my swing. I was wondering if anybody could give me any tips on things that could help my golf game workout wise

33 Posts
Nov 29, 2013 6:46am
via Android

Core back legs and shoulders...

274 Posts
Nov 29, 2013 5:20pm
via Android

Strengthen your rotator cuff

6 Posts
Dec 22, 2014 1:50am
via Android

I played college golf until illness took me out. I am working with a trainer 2x a week now to get resdy for golf this spring. Core is huge. Also, for golf you want to have a lot of flexibility. Increase ROM, then the larger your swing arch, and the further your shoulder turn, you create more torque and a greater moment of inertia once you make your transition, leading to faster club head speeds and longer drives. Having stability in your core allows you to maintain the correct spine angle through impact, in order to produce a lag. Static stretching with a partner is great for flexibility, or you can do it on your own. Doing workouts with your weight more on your toes and balls of your feet helps with ballance. Also, try doing some workouts while at the address position. Grab a MB, take your stance as if you're holding a club, then bring the medicine ball back and through, throwing it down on the ground or against a wall. Try to do as much with your dominant hand as you do with the other. Take swings right handed and then left handed. Muscular balance is key to a good golf swing. You can search exercises by muscle group- core, back, shoulders, wrist extensors, glutes, gastrocnemius, hamstrings. Or by equipment, Medicine Ball, Stability Ball and resistance bands provide a plethora of golf specific exercises. Hope this helps!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51