Once an athlete, always an athlete. Right?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Dec 30, 2013 9:38am
via Android

Being in good shape is an insanely great feeling. But what happens when you lose all that progress?

I have been looking for a sugar coated way of getting myself to get back in shape. I can visualize how I want to look, even better than I did when I was in arguably the best shape of my life (I sound like someone on a weight-loss pill commercial), yet I have been too proud to admit that I need a serious kick in the pants to eat better and to start exercising. Instead of just getting back to it, I find myself remembering how easy running a mile used to be, or how I could play a high intensity basketball game or 90 minutes of competitive soccer and not even bat an eye, and I get angry and depressed out of getting anything done.

I have been an athlete all my life. Basketball from middle school and on, some cross country, and soccer from the age of 5 until a chronic knee injury (best known as runner's knee, go figure) and a case of depression sidelined me from a chance at playing at my division two college.

After therapy and the loss of that united, team atmosphere, (and years of fitness progress, ugh) I have a serious block preventing me from getting back into shape on my own. I hope that this application will push me into a rhythm, and maybe I can be of some encouragement to others who are seeking the same goals!

If you made it this far, sorry it was so drawn out. I like to write and tell people stories, so I tend to make things more elaborate than may be necessary. Also sorry if this is already a forum topic somewhere, it's almost 4 am and I'm too lazy to look! ✌✌

30 Dec
Once an athlete, always an athlete!! Now quit being lazy and work for the body you want! ;)
161615_697267744_1643536892_n_thumb
50 Posts
Dec 30, 2013 8:27pm
via iOS
I had a similar problem after high school. I was a three sport athlete for a long time, but once I went to college and decided not to play a varsity level sport I lost the drive to stay in shape. Now I have just graduated with an environmental science degree so now I have a new drive to stay in shape. Everybody gets a little lost once in a while, it's all about finding your way back ( even if you don't take the same route as before)
Image_thumb
482 Posts
Dec 30, 2013 8:40pm
via Android

Yea :) once an athlete always an athlete...get up and get going...ur a veteran athlete now put ur experience n gear and lets do ths..

Image_thumb
81 Posts
Dec 30, 2013 10:49pm
via Android

Good luck with achieving your goals. If you've done it before I'm sure you can do it again. You already know how great it feels.

Image_thumb
143 Posts
Dec 31, 2013 10:26pm
via Android

Its harder to lose muscle than gain weight do once a athlete always a athlete

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Jan 1, 2014 1:23am
via Android

It sounds like the social connectedness of having a "team" is a key factor in your motivation. That could mean just one workout buddy or a large group of people, but perhaps this community could indeed be helpful. I also recommend looking on meetup and other sites designed to help people network through shared activities. I wish you success!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51