Once an athlete, always an athlete. Right?

6 posts | Original | Recent
2 Posts
Dec 30, 2013 9:38am
via Android

Being in good shape is an insanely great feeling. But what happens when you lose all that progress?

I have been looking for a sugar coated way of getting myself to get back in shape. I can visualize how I want to look, even better than I did when I was in arguably the best shape of my life (I sound like someone on a weight-loss pill commercial), yet I have been too proud to admit that I need a serious kick in the pants to eat better and to start exercising. Instead of just getting back to it, I find myself remembering how easy running a mile used to be, or how I could play a high intensity basketball game or 90 minutes of competitive soccer and not even bat an eye, and I get angry and depressed out of getting anything done.

I have been an athlete all my life. Basketball from middle school and on, some cross country, and soccer from the age of 5 until a chronic knee injury (best known as runner's knee, go figure) and a case of depression sidelined me from a chance at playing at my division two college.

After therapy and the loss of that united, team atmosphere, (and years of fitness progress, ugh) I have a serious block preventing me from getting back into shape on my own. I hope that this application will push me into a rhythm, and maybe I can be of some encouragement to others who are seeking the same goals!

If you made it this far, sorry it was so drawn out. I like to write and tell people stories, so I tend to make things more elaborate than may be necessary. Also sorry if this is already a forum topic somewhere, it's almost 4 am and I'm too lazy to look! ✌✌

30 Dec
Once an athlete, always an athlete!! Now quit being lazy and work for the body you want! ;)
50 Posts
Dec 30, 2013 8:27pm
via iOS
I had a similar problem after high school. I was a three sport athlete for a long time, but once I went to college and decided not to play a varsity level sport I lost the drive to stay in shape. Now I have just graduated with an environmental science degree so now I have a new drive to stay in shape. Everybody gets a little lost once in a while, it's all about finding your way back ( even if you don't take the same route as before)
482 Posts
Dec 30, 2013 8:40pm
via Android

Yea :) once an athlete always an athlete...get up and get going...ur a veteran athlete now put ur experience n gear and lets do ths..

81 Posts
Dec 30, 2013 10:49pm
via Android

Good luck with achieving your goals. If you've done it before I'm sure you can do it again. You already know how great it feels.

143 Posts
Dec 31, 2013 10:26pm
via Android

Its harder to lose muscle than gain weight do once a athlete always a athlete

19 Posts
Jan 1, 2014 1:23am
via Android

It sounds like the social connectedness of having a "team" is a key factor in your motivation. That could mean just one workout buddy or a large group of people, but perhaps this community could indeed be helpful. I also recommend looking on meetup and other sites designed to help people network through shared activities. I wish you success!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51