Distance Running

2 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Jul 19, 2014 12:03pm
via Android

I love running with my heart and soul! I want to start doing distance but whenever I start increasing my mileage I get injured. I do 3 on average, and I can pace 5 but rarely to avoid hurting myself again. Any advice on how take up my distance?

19 Jul
Increase slowly, and be sure to stretch, do warm ups and cool downs, and do some strength workouts.
19 Jul
I have tried even splitting the miles and doing two a days for safety... I stretch and I do weight lifting. I just don't know a safe amount of miles to increase or timeframe to increase them
19 Jul
Well to obtain the full amount of growth, you are supposed to stay with the same stress level for 4-6 weeks
19 Jul
Ok! I guess it's safe to say only increase one mile at a time huh? I can do up to 5 just can't go past that. So some days depending on the trail I run I'll do 3 to 4
Image_thumb
222 Posts
Jul 19, 2014 6:09pm
via Android

What type injuries muscular or joint related?

19 Jul
Well the first time I had a hairline fracture in my right calf and I was out of commission for a good six months. Then I had a MCL/LCL sprain. The most common injuries I get though are those God awful microfiber tears on the bottom of my feet lol. Those always come first!
20 Jul
I'm no doctor by any means but those sound like injuries that occur during over use. They can happen to anyone at anytime however. Maybe a doctor of sports medicine can evaluate your for over long distances and see if a reduction in proper form is causing the injuries.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51