What does stretching do to you before a workout?

10 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
231 Posts
Oct 21, 2014 3:54am

I know a few reasons why people stretch, but what are some very important reasons? (Any input would be much obliged...)

21 Oct
A warm up and stretch prevents pulling muscles but also gets the blood pumping into the muscles carries away toxins and supplies energy...while working out your stretching them muscles to limits and back over and over.... There's no point doing it again after the workout...but again people are have different thoughts for everything so you find whats best for you.
21 Oct
Its not like your doig anything wrong anyway Isaiah .. You've done amazingly, especially for your age, be proud I wish I was like you at there age.
21 Oct
You should do dynamic stretches(jog, jumping jacks etc) before working out to loosen your muscles, increase blood flow and help to prevent injury. Do not do static stretches prior to working out save them for after your workout. Research has shown the old way of static stretches prior to a workout will elongate and weaken the effectiveness of the muscle and could predispose you to injury during your activity.
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Oct 21, 2014 4:26am
via Android

It helps to avoid injuries such as pulling or tearing of ligaments or muscles. You want to be warmed up a little before stretching to get full benefit.  So do a little jogging in place or jumping jacks then stretch.

Image_thumb
231 Posts
Oct 21, 2014 4:32am
via Android

Doesn't it also give increasage of strength, and can also help you get bigger muscels? (Sorry if I spelt it wrong, just one of those words.)

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Oct 21, 2014 5:03am
via Android

It's meant for keeping you limber and loose more so then building muscle mass.  But it is still very important to any workout. You should stretch before and after any serious work out

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Oct 21, 2014 5:09am
via iOS
Mostly for not tearing or pulling of anything. 

Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Oct 21, 2014 7:04am
via Android

There's a lot of disagreement out there on stretching. Most people agree that stretching after a workout is a great idea, but not everyone agrees that stretching before is necessary. Many people (myself included) warm up with jogging and light cardio and only stretch when cooling down. Interesting topic. I look forward to hearing other people's answers

21 Oct
I have even heard people say that stretching before a workout can pull a muscle as you are not warm.
Image_thumb
274 Posts
Oct 21, 2014 5:32pm
via Android

I've read a few places that stretching before strength training can actually hinder your performance.

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Oct 21, 2014 8:25pm
via Android

Like many other posters said,  you're better off warming up pre-workout,  and stretching post workout. The idea is to get your blood flowing for the workout, then stretch afterwards. Jumping jacks, one minute of jumping rope,  a 5 minute bike ride on the stationary are all great forms of warming up

Image_thumb
73 Posts
Oct 22, 2014 8:15pm
via Android

Very useful topic,thanks!

Image_thumb
211 Posts
Oct 23, 2014 7:34am
via Android

I stretch so that my muscles loosen up and when I workout I won't get cramps, muscle pull.... Basically to avoid injuries!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51