Too much protein?

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
520 Posts
Oct 26, 2014 9:46am
via Android

I am taking in 170 grams of protein daily and I weigh about 154 pounds so is this too much? I am planning to add n pre workout cretin shake too should I do that? My goal is to gain weight. I am 5 10 about 180cm

Image_thumb
21 Posts
Oct 26, 2014 10:25am
via Android

What kind of protein are you taking? If you are trying to gain weight i would suggest "Gain proteins" about 20 mins after workout.

26 Oct
I am using gnc gold standard whey protein
26 Oct
And I include 600 gms of sweet potatoes(steamed) in my diet
26 Oct
But the rest of the protein is from red meat (goat) and eggs plus peanut butter and skimmed milk
Image_thumb
612 Posts
Oct 26, 2014 11:12am
via Android

The most important question is what type of working out are you doing? Lifting Heavy weights necessitate much higher protein intake than walking a few miles daily. 

26 Oct
I did a chest workout today with a bench press of 40 kg but hey I am newbie and I jogged about 9 km in an hour
26 Oct
Then that amount of protein seems reasonable.
26 Oct
Thanks I run every third day and do weight training 6 times a week should I start using creatine as a pre workout or no?
Img_20141105_155809_thumb
18 Posts
Oct 26, 2014 11:50pm
via Android

Be careful of taking creatine....dont get me wrong it works but remember everything goes through your kidneys.Drink alot of water and take less than what is suggested and cycle on and off..take it for a month ,stop for a month....But being consistent and lifting heavy will get u big also...

27 Oct
I am drinking a gallon of water everyday anyways. Well the guy who owns the gym I go to and is a bodybuilder himself said that creatine will weaken your muscle and it's used to loose weight whereas that doesn't make much sense and everything I found online is in contrary to it so I'll start using it by this weeks end unless anyone here suggests other wise.. how much of it should I take then?
300x300_thumb
168 Posts
Oct 27, 2014 2:51am
via Android

I do believe there is a formula to figure out how much protein to consume for your height, weight and fitness goals.

Just to give you an idea...
-I'm 5'9
-210 lbs.
-consuming 160 grams protein a day.

So back to your question, it seems just about right but you should really research it.

27 Oct
Well I am 154 pounds but I am following a 3300 to 3500 calorie diet as I want to gain mass so 170 to 190 gms a day is fine? I do regular weight training and jog/sprint 3 times a week for an hour each
27 Oct
This is just me saying this but i really feel that you need to stop running. Or cut down on it.
27 Oct
Reasons for that? I just don't want to gain fat by eating too much running will tone my body no?
Icon_missing_thumb
6 Posts
Oct 27, 2014 7:22pm
via Android

Ask any huge body builder and they will tell you 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and have a caloric surplus of 200-500 grams a day and spread meals over 5-7 meals throughout the day. There is a lot of research out there but these three things are the most "tryed and true" methods out there.

27 Oct
I am taking 5 meals a day as breakfast is my pre workout meal and fruit snacks in between I can't add any more meals in the time I am up without constantly eating.. I tend to wait at least 2 hours between my meals
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Oct 27, 2014 7:42pm
via iOS
I was taking Creatine but decided to come off it coz I found I bloated regardless of what type I took (and a tried a lot of different types). Now I don't feel as bloated and I stick to whey protein (with no carbs in it) and BCAA's but I'll stop taking them as well once they've run out

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51