New here, would like to run 5k someday, terrified

6 posts | Original | Recent
2 Posts
Oct 29, 2014 9:15pm
via Android

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the community here and have a long-term goal to someday run a 5k; my sister did one earlier this year so now I feel inspired to do one too.

I came here because of the large variety of workouts available, but I am now feeling overwhelmed by that variety. I know I'm out of shape, but I don't know where to start with the workouts here.

I also could use an accountability buddy who has run a distance race, because at some point I will need to start running...and I am clueless on how to prepare on that, too.

I know what I want, but I feel terrified, like I may have put myself in over my head.

29 Oct
I suggest the c25k app to build your confidence and get you in better shape. Plus you aren't stuck wondering hm hm what should I do.
30 Oct
A lot of people that do 5k runs for the first time do fun ones that dont require running but just a good experience, just a suggestion because its really fun, like neon splash dash, the zombie run or something like that.
1657 Posts
Oct 29, 2014 9:17pm
via iOS
Try filtering the workouts down to "5 mins" and see what's on offer. I've got a load of 5min workouts I created for people to get some cardio that you can check out on my profile. Personally I started with workouts like "100 push ups a day" and "5min arms and abs".. Build up the minutes & most of all ENJOY IT!
17 Posts
Oct 29, 2014 9:32pm
via Android

Ignore with that idiot that said put your workouts 25 minutes said, when I join the military I saw a fat sloppy the most undisciplined people on the face of the planet before s to run 3 miles and by some miraculous miracle they made it it might have took them a while but they did it so stop being scared get out there an accomplished your goal or die trying

385 Posts
Oct 30, 2014 12:01pm
via Android

Get your running shoes on, down to a quite park or woods and start running, when you cant run no more, walk when you recovered a little run again.

There a beginner routines based on this on here...I have 14 mile run next year along with 28 obstacles in between and this time 2 years ago, I was 350lb ish and out of breath walking to the have a better starting point so nothing is stopping you.

Fear is like a thought inplated into your conscious mind to protect you based on its life experience!

Its upto you to consciously tell it where to go to train it to never give up, your body knows better about itself than your subconscious and will give up when its done not when a thought says so!

20 Posts
Nov 5, 2014 6:50pm
via iOS
I ran 21k for the first time without proper training. It sure is tiring and my feet almost gave up on me but guess what? It felt great! Small steps go a long way. You don't have to run the whole time if your body won't allow you to do so. Everything is fine as long as you keep on moving! Go for it, grab your favorite running shoes, plug your earphones in and move to the beat!
32 Posts
Nov 5, 2014 8:46pm
via Android

Nike running+ app is good for training. You simply select the distance you want to train for 5, 10 or 42km and then you experience level novice, intermediate or pro and then the date of the race and it creates a training programme building up to the race.

It eases you into it with rest days and varying distance targets, also weight training days. So come race day you'll be guaranteed a finish. And you can link it to social media sites to have others send you messages or challenge friends to distances.

Probably your best bet if you can find other friends that also have that app. Else this community is pretty friendly as you might have figured out from the responses.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51