Cardio knowledge? New season on the field

5 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
6 Posts
Jan 9, 2013 3:16pm
via Android

Ok so I need some help. I've been out of the gym for about four months now and I have to be ready to get back on the field(football) in March and I'm way out of shape. I can keep the weight based on the positions I'll be playing but I'll have to be in great cardiovascular condition to play several positions. I know running helps, but who has some really insightful cardio info for someone that needs to be highly conditioned. Are we thinking interval training for time or reps? I would love some direction.

Thanks

Image_thumb
142 Posts
Jan 9, 2013 3:24pm
via Android

You probably don't want advice from a woman BUT I have some anyways :) definitely work on endurance first that way you don't get so winded and since its football you obviously need to do sprinting bc you are constantly going then stopping. At your gym do you have something called a vortex?? It's a platform with a resistance belt that goes around your waist... That or something similar would be good bc you can sprint and the resistance obviously makes it harder. You can sprint forward or backwards. It works very well!

09 Jan
Also doing circuits where you are constantly moving. I do 1 set of circuits, do a set of suicides then repeat 6x. I love it!
09 Jan
What are suicides? I do have a waist resistance belt that you connect to most anything, bench, rail, another person etc. Are you thinking box jumps or something similar?
09 Jan
You can do box jumps but I'm talking about strapping yourself with the belt and then sprinting off then slowly walk yourself back to start and keep doing it. Don't let the resistance belt pull you back. It helps with your take off on the field. Suicides are horrible! They are sprints but setup like 3 different points at certain spots. Sprint from point a to point b and back then go from point a to point c and back then point a to poi.t d. Each point is further away. Do that one time after each set. Does that...
09 Jan
I dony know where you are but if you have a parachute, hook that to the belt and sprint longer distances. It helps with speed as well, sane with hooking a 25-45 lb plate to the belt and sprinting that way.
09 Jan
I think I get what you're saying. Yeah the belt helps a lot for initial explosion and forming drag for short periods of time which is perfect for a DL like me. Thank you for your suggestions.
Image_thumb
124 Posts
Jan 9, 2013 5:37pm
via Android

For football, you should know to run the track, sprint the curves and run the straight aways. Do three four laps of that then walk a lap oflr two. Then ger on the field and do some foot work

09 Jan
I do my footwork 2 or 3 times a week. I like the track idea
Image_thumb
42 Posts
Jan 9, 2013 5:44pm
via Android

Dot drills. They are killer cardio and really help with quickly changing direction. They also work on your balance. That with some endurance running and explosive workout sets is what i did in my football days.

Image_thumb
142 Posts
Jan 10, 2013 7:21pm
via Android

Hey. Have you tried any workouts yet?? Hope it comes along well and good luck this season on the field!

10 Jan
I just started thinking yesterday hoping it will prime my body for some work. I'm excited.
10 Jan
*running not thinking lol
10 Jan
You gotta Start somewhere! Good luck and if ya need any motivation, I'm here! Btw, I know a little about what I say, I'm in school for personal training and next I will be getting certified for sports specified training :)
10 Jan
Haha. Well "thinking" still made since but its better that you meant running. Lol

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51