So I'm working with my mom and trying to help her lose weight. She's 4"11 and weighs about 156 lbs. She has a 33% body fat and is 44.
I have a few questions.
1. What are good apps for keeping a food journal? I'd need one that can count calories and preferably be pretty good at showing calories lost from exercise.
2. How often should I start her working out? I was going to do two walking days per week and at least one body weight session per week. (We did one tonight and she had a little trouble with most things) Do you think this is too much? Too little? We won't be able to walk much for a couple days because of dangerous conditions (Snow and ice everywhere)
3. Are there any foods she shouldn't eat other than the obvious? Cutting out ALL carbs will be near impossible, but I can get her to eat less and make them whole wheat. Her doctor told her not to eat bananas and some other things. (She'd very "if the doctor said it then it's 100% true) She works at the doctor's office too so she can ask questions if she has any. I've started doing some food prep by just pre washing and cutting all my vegetables so getting salads done will be easy.
4. What do you think a good goal weight will be? She has 130 lbs in mind. I want to get her to a healthy weight for her height before getting her to stop worrying about her weight and focusing on her body fat. As I stated above, she has a lot and I feel that it would be better to get her weight down first then really focus on gaining muscle.
5. To go along with 3, how many calories should she eat a day? She was told something around 1200, but I feel like that's a bit low, even if losing weight. She's getting an appetite suppresser in a couple days to help her eat less. I don't really know what would be good, I just know what is good for someone my age and size and activity levels.
6. Are there anything else you think I should be focusing on? She already drinks about seven cups of water a day, I'm going to try to get her to drink at least a cup more in the morning. Her bladder isn't very big so she can't have any before bed. She also can't have tea or coffee due to religion. Other than that, anything should be fine. She also has back problems and is going to a chiropractor tomorrow to get help with that. She said that yoga helps her back so we'll probably do a lot of that.
I know I'm not certified or anything, but I have been doing this on and off for the past twoish years and have been trained and am currently being trained by someone certified. (That's through my school so it doesn't cost me anything. We don't have enough money to hire anyone) I really want to help her since I know it bothers her a lot and it would make her really happy if she lost weight. She just needs help. We don't have a very good relationship and I'm leaving for college in August so I feel like this is my last chance to really do something for her..
I know this is long, but if you could help me that would be great.
Thank you so much.
I use myfitnesspal and i think it's great
I just want to say it's a wonderful thing you're doing helping your mom. The best of luck to both of you and I hope this will bring you closer to each other too.
Just checking in to let you know you and your mom have support. If you search online or on Myfitnesspal, you can find bmi calculators that let you put in height, weight, and age to let you two know where she is on her fitness journey. They also link to suggested healthy weight ranges.