How to gain weight with workouts?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Jun 20, 2016 6:32pm
via Android

Well, I have a problem because I have to gain weight, the reason is that my weight is too low and that's why I really have to gain.

So can you please give me some advice for gaining weight workouts and which exercises are the best?

Image_thumb
954 Posts
Jun 20, 2016 11:15pm
via Android

You have to eat more. You can't gain weight just from exercising. You have to eat more calories.

Whether these calories go to fat or to muscle depends on a few factors but yeah resistance training is a great way to gain muscle. That can mean bodyweight exercises like push-ups, pullups, squats etc... Or weight lifting, or circuit training on machines.

Eat more! Workout hard, then eat more! Carbs,fats, and protein. Avoid simple carbs like sweets, but overall, eat a lot and workout hard, then eat more and rest so your body can build muscle.

21 Jun
Thank you very much!
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Jun 22, 2016 1:36am
via iOS
I'm 6'2", 150lbs or 65kg, I started at 135 or 60kg. I'm in the same boat as you. 

You have to eat more. Eat a ton, eat everything, stay away from sweets though. But eat healthy, nuts, fruit, chicken breast, steak. Fat is ok to have as I'm sure your BMI is very low. Just eat and train. 

Stuff yourself with every meal. Your body will eventually get used to how much you are eating and produce more enzyme to digest it all. Just eat! 

Like 30% of gaining muscle mass is related to actual weight lifting. 70% is eating. Don't expect any gains without a huge diet plan. 

I eat about 3000 calories a day, and I'm thinking I need to increase it even more because my body weight has plateued at my current weight. So eat a lot, eat the right foods l, and work out!
26 Jun
Thank you very much. But which exercises would help me to gain because I am really afraid of loosing weight because of sports.
26 Jun
in order to gain weight u just have to eat more, in order to gain muscle you have to eat more and do resistance exercises which encourage hypertrophy, which would be rather heavy resistance at medium to low reps... so like a weight heavy enough that you can't lift it more than eight times or so, lift that seven or eight times for three sets with about 2 minutes rest between. if you find yourself able to complete more reps, increase the weight
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Jun 27, 2016 6:09pm
To gain weight your caloric intake needs to be more than what you are burning in a day. the average person will burn about 1500-2000 calories a day just by following a normal routine, whatever that may be. Since your thin like me, your probably closer to the 2000 mark due to high metabolism. You mentioned also participating in a sport. Depending on how strenuous that sport is, how long you play, how fast your heart rate is going, etc, you're probably burning another 500-2000. It depends on what that sport is So you should be eating around 2500-4000 calories a day. Again, make sure it is the right kind of food. Don't binge on pizza and burgers to get to your calorie goal. Eat lean proteins like chicken breast, turkey breast, steak, fish. Snack on nuts and seeds. Cut out drinking soda as most of the calories come from sugar and won't help you with your gains. Same goes for sweets, those are the wrong type of calories. Substitute them with fruit instead. Veggies of course are great for the fiber. Every couple of days, treat yourself to a "cheat day" where you eat your favorite food regardless of what kind of calories they are. I'm sure your BMI is as low as mine, fatty foods like pizza, burgers, etc should be ok on these days, just don't eat them everyday. Maybe one or two meals a week tops. If you notice that you're not gaining anything, then increase your calorie intake by 300 calories a day or so. A healthy increase in weight is about 2-4 pounds a week when starting out. The weight you gain will slow down as you start reaching your goal weight. As an example, when Michael Phelps is training for swimming, he has to eat upwards of 10,000 calories a day because he is burning so much of it in his workouts, which are extremely intense. Your workouts probably aren't as intense as a professional athlete so just start out by eating 2500-3000 calories a day and see how that affects your body weight. If you're having trouble getting 3000 calories in a day, try a weight gainer. Weight gainers are not meal replacers, they are more of a snack replacer. My schedule looks like this: Breakfast - 9AM - 500 calories Snack - 11am - weight gainer, nuts, fruit -400 calories Lunch - 1PM - 700 calories Snack - 3PM - weight gainer, nuts, fruit -400 calories Dinner - 6PM - 700 calories Workout 7PM Snack (post workout) - weight gainer, 300 calories As I mentioned earlier, my weight gaining has plateued, I'm not gaining anymore weight. So somewhere in my schedule I have to figure out how to add 300-500 more calories. The important thing is to make sure you have a goal weight. As you start approaching that goal weight your caloric intake should slow down until you've reached the weight you want to keep. Make your goals attainable. Maybe you weigh 100, set your first goal to be 110. Once you hit 110, set a new goal, of whatever weight. Once you reach your end goal, set another new goal, maybe to increase your stamina. Adjust your diet accordingly. Just make sure your goals aren't outrageous so that you don't lose motivation, make them easy goals, hit the goal and set another easy goal. Just remember marathon runners don't start training by trying to run the full marathon.
28 Jun
Thanks so much for the advice I will try this!!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51