How can I work on my abs with a herniated disc in my lower back?

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jun 30, 2016 10:00pm
via Android

Any ideas?

01 Jul
im gussing u can still do it but if it herts than dont do it
12 Jul
I use an exercise ball because of the same issue
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Jun 30, 2016 10:28pm
via Android

That's a serious situation that should not be taken lightly. A good chiropractor will be an expert on limitations of certain movements. I would see him or her and get evaluated first. I myself have Spondylolysis and have learned what I can and should not do from chiropractors. Also, a good physical therapist will be another great source to  suggest proper movements and possible limitations for your situation.

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jun 30, 2016 11:29pm
via Android

Thank you Andre..I will def. Look into that.

Jul 1, 2016 3:11am
via Android

Just keep on Trying

Image_thumb
159 Posts
Jul 1, 2016 5:01am
via Android

Try planks instead

01 Jul
Planks can place a tremendous amount of stress on the lumbar spine. To make it worse, a lot of people have anterior rotated hips caused from sitting all day leading to them having an increased lordosis of the lumbar spine. Planks and sometimes even pushups should not be done by a lot of people who have this muscle imbalance. Basically, when in plank position, if your lower back sinks in even the slightest or you do not only feel the tension in your abdominals then you should not do them. From screening a lot of athletes, I can say most...
01 Jul
That's very informative, if just for myself. I did mean planks in a neutral spine position. It's nice you added psoas flexibility and hamstring strength. I notice you're a trainer too. Do you recommend a different exercise? How about bird dogs? Thanks.
01 Jul
I just got resistance bands ...can that help with abs without getting on the floor.
Image_thumb
139 Posts
Jul 1, 2016 6:30pm
via Android

I would not rely on any info received because just because it worked for someone else does not mean it will work for your herniated disc.  Consult with a physical therapist so they can evaluate YOUR situation and design a routine for YOU so the situation does not get worse by doing the wrong exercises.  Most states offer direct access so you don't need an MD referral in most cases

173285_21903093_283165115_n_thumb
8 Posts
Jul 7, 2016 4:08am
via iOS
Check with your doc first but swimming certain strokes will shred your middle with very low impact.
16 Jul
thank you
Icon_missing_thumb
10 Posts
Nov 6, 2016 9:14pm
via Android

Get it fix first and then you can do workouts like leg raise and flexing your head . Avoid weight lifting and bending☺but try to get it fix first

Image_thumb
19 Posts
Nov 8, 2016 7:27pm
via iOS
I have a herniated disc in my lower back too. I've been doing the abdominal foundation program 1,2 and now 3. If something hurts I change up the exercise and switch it into a stretch. If done correctly there's a lot of yoga poses that will help stretch out the back pain. 

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51