Self defense

8 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Nov 24, 2018 5:23am
via Android

Hi, Im a teenager and Im getting bullied at school both physically and mentally. Ive told the teachers but they haven't giving me any advice. My parents told ne to join a self defense class, but I don't want to spar or hurt anyone. I am very socially awkward and shy, I really need some help.

03 Dec
this is very sad to hear, 2 of my children get bullied too, i tell them to hit back always.. but they are too scared to until one day my girl did; she got punished by the school of course so she was ashamed but i told her that she did the right thing and i was proud of her... you may not want to hurt anyone but you can't sit there and let others hurt you.. is thir life more important than yours?? No!! it is not, i was also bullied when i was younger and i tell you...
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Nov 26, 2018 12:21pm
via iOS
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a form of martial-arts that is actually useful in self-defence. You don’t have to be tall or huge to pin down a bully twice your size. Best thing is to avoid a fight, but if you have to, immobolizing your enemy and making a run for it is smart.
Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Dec 1, 2018 12:33am
via iOS
BJJ for tournaments is useless on the street. 
Image_thumb
1062 Posts
Dec 4, 2018 4:37pm
via Android

Hi.

Very sorry to hear you are getting bullied at school. It's a hard thing to go trough.

I can give you a few tips, which I hope can help.

I don't know if this is happening to you, but alot of bullying is done online now a days. So I would suggest you getting of social media as much as possible. This will help with 2 things. This will make you les of an online target. Because it's not as much fun if the target is oblivious to the jokes. Also it provides les ammonition. You aren't posting videos and pics. Or whatever else which they will use.
Especially girls are alot more prone to online bullying. Getting of social media can really help. It also gives to opportunity to get away from the stress and fear. Unlocking your phone might becomes les of a horror.

Alof of times the people bullying others are victims themselves of hard situations or bullying at home. I know this doesn't really help your situation. But it might help to release some of the stress and anger. Think of them as victims themselves. This won't directly change their behouvior. But it might givr some comfort after a long day. You are not to blame for what they do. Whatever it is.

Standing up for yourself is the hard part. This requires something that most likely doesn't come natural to you. Confrontation. This is also specific to your situation so it's hard to suggest any way to approach this. It's good that you are vocal about it towards your parents and teachers. This is thr first step in confronting it. Even if it doesn't have the effect you wished it had.

And if you would wish to attent some self defence classes. BJJ is for sure thr best way to go. It teaches you how to handle confrontation in every aspect.

Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Dec 4, 2018 7:30pm
via iOS
I would recommend wrestling over BJJ any day for a situation like. Wrestling is also a great counter to BJJ....  People recommend BJJ because of MMA and UFC and really don’t know any better. 
05 Dec
This is rubbish. You have clearly never set foot in any BJJ dojo. BJJ is ALL about self defense. Any good bjj school will focus on 'fight' situations. BJJ can be done by almost anyone. It does not require huge strenght, explosive athleticism. Even small girls can use the judo trips, learn how to control step away from stronger people. For someone who is not athletic and not into hard training wrestling will bum then out so quick. Wrestling is really really though. BJJ is alot easier to get into. Also there are alot of girls only classes. To say...
Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Dec 5, 2018 3:43pm
via iOS
And youve clearly never been in any situation where you soon realized if the individual was a superior Striker or great at takedowns and learned that all that time invested in BJJ was useless since you didn’t learn any good defense. Anyways, 6th year Gracie strident, 8 years wrestling, 15 years boxing. I’m a cyclist as well. I’m not expert, but I’ve been in enough situations to know that BJJ is “not all about self defense”.  If you step foot into a Dojo that is all like “muh tournaments”, you’re not gonna get far in a street fight. 
12 Dec
Oh and what happens when you face that similar better or stronger wrestler. A closed guard while holding on for dear life or a sweep to create space to get away. As the smal and not strong person fighting isn't a out dominating. It's about staying safe.
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 8, 2018 7:51pm
via Android

Have the courage to stand up for your self, sometimes isn't about fighting but tell them too stop, go above the teacher and tell principles, counseling, other resources at school, you have to fight then bring an older siblings w you, or at times you find there parents after school tell them.

Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Jan 2, 2019 10:16am
via Android

Hello everyone,
Thank God I didn't have to resort to violence! I just focused on my grades and cared about being kind to others whether they were kind to me or not. You know, being the better person. I'm not worried 'cause karma is going to get them right back. I don't  care anymore about their constant teasing and abusing, I'll treat them with grace and forgiveness. I now have a couple new friends and they also help me stand up for myself. There sure is strength in numbers, it feels like no one want to mess with me now that I actually have good friends. It feels wonderful to have friends since I've been an ostracised loner my entire life (pretty much). But now I know what to do if things get out of hand, thank you everyone!
-Love,
Michelle

02 Jan
great news Michelle, you've done well. keep it up.

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,321 topics, 38,249 posts

Motivation & Support

8,513 topics, 41,523 posts

App Updates

38 topics, 96 posts

Ask the Pros

760 topics, 1,938 posts

Workouts and Programs