You ate WHAT?

32 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
12 Posts
Feb 12, 2013 1:42am
via Android

What's the strangest food you've ever tried? Did you like it?

Mine: cow head... i was tricked into trying it, and before i ate it, in a stew, i thought it was delicious! Was not thrilled when i found out what it was!

12 Feb
Today I Had Liver , Rice , Sweet Peas And Rolls..!
12 Feb
I used to eat liver as a kid. Bleh. I couldn't put enough ketchup on it to make that taste go away.
19 Nov
I love liver & onions!
Image_thumb
44 Posts
Feb 12, 2013 1:51am
via iOS
I ate grilled fish today it was very good;)
07 Jul
The simplest food item here compared to bull testicles, crickets...lol
Image_thumb
174 Posts
Feb 12, 2013 1:58am
via iOS
Jamaican Curry Goat. Been eating it since I was a kid. There are other dishes I ate that were made with cow tongue and pigs foot 
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Feb 12, 2013 2:12am
via Android

I've eaten many odd things, but I never thought them to be that unusual...
Crickets
Ants
Cow tounge
Head cheese
Goose liver
So many types of mushrooms
Scorpions
Blood sausage
Chicken feet
Brain
Bull testicles
So much delicious food! Granted I'm a culinary guy haha

12 Feb
Whoa whoa whoa, what type of brains are we talkin bout here?!?! Monkey or human?
12 Feb
Monkey doesn't stop the cravings... Haha, nah it was veal.
06 Aug
You sound like a chef!
Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Jul 6, 2013 10:01pm

Bull testicles, Max?... Did you KNOW what you were eating?...?...?

Image_thumb
191 Posts
Jul 7, 2013 11:04am
via iOS
..... Something called Laba (it's a wild rat)  this was totally unintentional by the way. 
 I am from Guyana, South America and my Gran took me there 9 years ago for my first visit. It was a stew looked nice, smelt nice and I was tricked. After 1/2 a plate I was told what it was. I was sooooo pissed cause I was pregnant at the time, which the host didn't know of course. Luckily nothing happened but a few years ago I decided to google the rat to see what it looked like. Big mistake lol!!! 

Anyway I don't think it's nice to trick ppl into eating things. It's not right! 
Image_thumb
40 Posts
Jul 7, 2013 11:41am
via iOS
I remember eating lychees for the first time as a kid, I thought they looked like little gremlin brains at the time - was addicted to them!
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Jul 7, 2013 11:49am
via Android

I ate fried dog leg in Korea. I was told by friends they had large chicken over there. Later found out it was dog. Taste was fine, but never again.

08 Jul
OH MY GOSH
Image_thumb
58 Posts
Jul 7, 2013 12:06pm
via Android

Ive eaten feta cheese with tomato sauce, and Marmite with syrup.

Image_thumb
17 Posts
Jul 7, 2013 3:16pm
via iOS
Cow brain lol I thought it was omelette.....
Image_thumb
34 Posts
Jul 7, 2013 3:26pm
via Android

Squirrel stew! I wasn't told what it was until after I tried it. It kind of tastes like rabbit. Not my favourite :-s  I also tried snake in Hong Kong but thats pretty common in China

07 Jul
Squirrel and rabbit are common here in SW VA and some people like groundhog but never tried it! Love squirrel stew though
08 Jul
Rabbit and other game (pheasant, partridge, pigeon, venison, wild boar etc.) is reasonably common here but squirrels are usually regarded more as vermin. I guess what is unusural depends on where you are. Some people think stuff like black pudding and haggis are strange but they are traditional foods here.
Image_thumb
147 Posts
Jul 8, 2013 1:38am
via iOS
I've tried snake, rabbit, fish eggs and pig snout.

This next one may not sound weird to you but keep in mind where I was and who was serving it to me, potato bread in Afghanistan served by a local villager with a side of goat soup.

Also, while in Haiti I ate the "trust me, it's delicious" special cooked on the side of the road.
08 Jul
Pig snout... Must be an acquired taste... I'm of Haitian origin, Ryan. You see that stuff they're cooking on the side of the road, pass on that... Unless you want your tour to finish early.
08 Jul
Interested in the Haiti trip. I was afraid to eat anything in Haiti. I ate a lot of PB&J and never asked questions when someone cooked for me!!! But Haiti has a place in my heart.
08 Jul
Oh, you've been... So you know then Laura... Haitian gastronomy is some of the best in the world and it's a wonderful place. But what Ryan is talking about "by the side of the road special" in Creole is called "Chien jambe"... Roughly translated as "something the dogs skip over..." Hmmm. As long as you know the people cooking for you are doing it in an hygienic environment or you go to a restaurant with a good reputation, you can eat more than Peanut butter and jelly. I ate a lot of peanut butter I had shipped over from Canada...
08 Jul
I will be honest, pig snout wasn't really my thing. It was on a dare and I can say I will never consume pig in any other way than pork chops, bacon and sausage lol. Yes the side of the road special took its toll on me! Good thing I had doxycycline readily available. My stomach was off for a few days. I went against my better judgement, but we were out on mission for a few days and all we had left were bare boned MREs. So, I did what told myself I wouldn't do and ate a small...
08 Jul
You got a pretty exact picture of what goes on in Haiti, Ryan.... Tragic, but beautiful... A country of extremes. You'll love visiting as a tourist when not on a military mission... When you can just chill and enjoy the beauty, the people, the historic sites and beaches... the carnival.
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jul 8, 2013 2:51am
via iOS
Pig stomach (my favorite)
Pig liver
Snake
Crocodile
Century eggs (really common here in Singapore.. Everyone loves it but I can't take the smell) 
Smelly tofu 
Frog porridge (very famous in Singapore)

A lot of weird food in Singapore actually. But they're awesome! (NO dog meat haha it's illegal here.. We love dogs *winks*) 
08 Jul
You winked at the end of that, Lavonne... They're serving dog and cat meat all day and all night in Singapore, aren't they?
08 Jul
I winked because we don't eat dog and cat meat here in Singapore. Where did you eat em haha it's illegal.
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jul 8, 2013 3:39am
via iOS
And you just made our country sound bad. Need to emphasize this because we really DON'T eat dog meat here. 7/10 houses you see pet dogs and cats. It's a pet friendly country so don't make it sound bad yeah :) And you need to tell me where on earth you see people serving cats and dogs here in SG lol.
Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Jul 8, 2013 4:16am

Oh, no, Lavonne... I didn't want to make your nation sound bad or reinforce any stereotype. That wasn't my intention at all... I do apologize profusely if you or anyone else took it that way. Truthfully, we hear it all the time in America that Indonesia's non-Muslim communities do serve dog meat as a festive dish and that it is actually quite delicious... I wouldn't eat it, but apparently it wasn't too bad for president Barack Obama to consume when it was served to him by his stepfather, Lolo Soetoro there... What about all the specialty dog meat dishes we hear about from your country: Rintek Wuuk, Tongseng Asu, Kambing Balap, Guk Guk... They do not exist or are they just illegal?

08 Jul
Sorry, again... You said SG not Indonesia... But still, no harm meant.
Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Jul 8, 2013 4:25am

A friend of mine, sitting right here next to me, said that in a restaurant located in Jurong East he had a dish called "Braised Dog Meat, Tofu & Cabbage". Is that an illegal establishment, Lavonne?

08 Jul
I've never heard of the dishes that you've listed.. That's probably in Indonesia :) I do know of the Muslim's yearly tradition of slaughtering goats for some ritual. I don't really approve of that but it's their tradition I can't comment anything because it's religious sensitive. As for the dog meat you mentioned in Singapore. I did a google search, they were being investigated after the dish was being introduced. The stall owner's a china guy apparently. He wanted to attract people by stating "dog meat" but he said it was just pork that taste like dog. I don't know...
08 Jul
I'll let him know how awesome you think he is :-) He says I should make the trip with him next time he goes. I might just do that. Again, dear... I meant no harm or insult. Cheers!
Image_thumb
70 Posts
Jul 8, 2013 6:20am
via iOS
Cat burrito.  Yup.  At a house in Mexico,probably poverty level??  I think it was just the meat they had that day...  Stray cats.  I'm just glad I didn't know until later.  It wasn't bad and I'm kinda picky.
Loghain_de_pacquet_thumb
61 Posts
Nov 19, 2014 6:30am
via Android

Crocodile. Steaks cut from the tail. Alternating rings of meat and fat. And no, it didn't taste like chicken.

More like turkey as I recall.

Image_thumb
821 Posts
Nov 19, 2014 8:46am
via Android

Fermented tofu. Was called stinky tofu and you'd be amazed at how tasty. I've been curious about trying a protein bar made out of crickets.

Image_thumb
327 Posts
Nov 19, 2014 11:55am
via Android

In Thiland they skin and boil dogs and god knows what else for food,its illegal and people are campaining to stop this,I love dogs,cats,bears and China treats animals also v badly like rubbish ,no caring for animals feelings,even beautiful moon bears are left in small cages and used for their bile for chinese medicine,please try to protect these animals

Image_thumb
77 Posts
Nov 19, 2014 2:07pm
via Android

Cows tongue and is so dam good

Image_thumb
171 Posts
Nov 19, 2014 2:13pm
via Android

Reindeer.

Sorry Rudolf.

19 Nov
Lmao - nice
212006_1549508550_59905275_n_thumb
2 Posts
Nov 19, 2014 2:22pm
via Android

Cow's intestine!!! "Threpas"
I have to admit they were good!!
Body won't allow it now...lol
Neither will I!!!!.

Image_thumb
46 Posts
Nov 19, 2014 4:31pm
via Android

Grilled Alligator with a side of chicken liver and squid kebab.

Image_thumb
77 Posts
Nov 20, 2014 1:35am
via Android

Ur so beatuful and i ate cows tongue and it was so damm good!!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51