Supplementation???

68 posts | Original | Recent

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 5:20am

There is a huge industry catering to fitness enthusiasts and bodybuilders, as you all know: supplements. it is a seldom discussed subject in these forums. For the sake of knowledge, wisdom and education, I am opening the floor for a frank discussion on supplementation... Everything, the good, the bad, the worse... Protein shakes, creatine, fat burners, glutamine, BCAAs, pre-workout powders, testosterone boosters and the list goes on and on... Be frank, share your experience... Everything, from Flintstone Vitamins to anabolic steroids... Share openly.

I would like to start by saying that there are no shortcuts... Exercise and proper nutrition create the kind of results most people working out are looking for and if you are in your teens and still growing, you don't want to take any of this stuff. Adults, make the proper judgement call. Some of these compounds are expensive, can help in your development and progress... but do your research, always speak with a physician before using any of these products and never exceed recommended serving or dosage.

As for myself, I workout intensively 5 days a week and only drink a teaspoon of Omega-3 fish oil every morning... But that's me... We're not here to judge, but to learn and share. Thank you

Image_thumb
49 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 5:43am
via iOS
I don't take any... I want to be able to lose weight and I'm sure there are stuff out there that can be beneficial if I take it but I have no clue where to start. Any suggestions??
Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 6:30am

This forum was started on @Rani M's suggestion, btw, so shout-out to her! OK... Here we go. Fat burning supplements are huge... To make an informed decision, you need to know about 5 ingredients that actually work... You can start your research there: green tea extract, yohimbe, caffeine, a plant from the South-African desert named Hoodia Gordonii and a natural non-hormonal metabolite produced in the body named 7-Keto... Keep in mind that no fat burner is meant to replace a good diet and exercise plan. Fat-burning supplements help you burn fat; they don't burn fat for you... Used correctly, fat burners can help you hit your weight-loss goals. Make sure you read the product labels and use all ingredients correctly!

These forum things sure go quickly, that was practically instantaneous... Lol!!!

Image_thumb
57 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 7:37am
via Android

I take yohimbine and bcaas...i cut protein shakes out altogether and use food sources for my protein instead...i think theres a million things out there that could/would work and i think by all means try them if youd like but like u said proper nutrition and exercise is what works...and they are exactly that, supplements not magic pills. Vitamin companies come up w all kinds of stuff to put in a bottle and slap on a 'fat burning' or 'boosts metabolism' label when we can get those same effects naturally by just eating the right foods. And ive tried EVERY bottle on the store shelves lol and then that little lightbulb turned on lol

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 9:15am

Thank you for your reply, Krystal... In the interest of clarity and again, information, we should clarify that Yohimbine is an alkaloid with stimulant and aphrodisiac effects found naturally in Yohimbe. It is also found naturally in Indian Snakeroot, Niando, along with several other active alkaloids. Yohimbine has been used as both an over-the-counter dietary supplement in herbal extract form and prescription medicine in pure form for the treatments of sexual dysfunction. BCAAs are amino acids that work by inhibiting protein breakdown during exercise, thus helping to maintain muscle energy and supporting muscle recovery. Just so folks know what we're talking about.

Both compounds actually work quite well and serve their purpose in the athletes training pack, I believe. Again, thank you for sharing your knowledge and the wisdom you've acquired by experience.

48973_1252687338_209726549_n_thumb
5 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 9:19am
via iOS
I am 42 and in Afghanistan so when order supplements it is for the month and will cost a pretty penny. I need protein for those long 12 hour shifts and multivitamins. The iffey parts are creatine , fat burners, test boosters. 

Also I try omega 3 for high blood pressure. I am needing advice on the iffy parts above. 
Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 10:50am

I bet that can get pretty costly ordering Canadian and American supplements to Afghanistan on a monthly basis...  Let's just get to the "iffy" parts as you called them: Creatine supplements are athletic aids used to increase high-intensity athletic performance. Researchers have known of the use of creatine as an energy source by skeletal muscles since the beginning of the 20th century. I said what needed to be said about fat burners in an earlier post to a very pretty girl... Well I said enough anyway so that you can do your own research on compounds and ingredients that are known to work. Testosterone boosters work by amplifying testosterone reserves already present in a man's body. This can be very beneficial to men in their late 30s to 60s... It can give you energy you have not had since your 20s, in the gym and also in the bedroom. There's the iffy.

24 Mar
What are your thoughts on N-zero extreme
18 May
I hear it's one of the best creatine-free pre workout powders out there... Sorry it took so long to answer I was on a trip to the Caribbean.
Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 10:52am

Oh, and the Omega3 does wonders for a lot of reasons, high blood pressure being one of them.

Image_thumb
57 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 5:30pm
via Android

Brian have you tried compound 20? Me and my husband both used it and had great results...i didnt use it as long as him but i think its good...i dont know what ur goals are but it definately helps...after every weight session could definately feel that blood flow to the muscles

Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 5:44pm
via Android

I take a whey protein shake straight after training to offset muscle soreness, I find its the most effective way of getting protein into the body quickly, apart from that I don't take any other supplements because I feel I get enough through my diet

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 6:49pm

Krystal, Compound 20 is one of the hottest new products on the market. I think you should maybe explain and expand on what makes it different than everything else out there... If you don't care to I will. But since you and your husband have actually tried it. You are better placed to do that... I think you should especially explain about the 3 ingredients that make it so unique...

Image_thumb
57 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 7:07pm
via Android

Lol umm you can :) ur version is probably more informative...note that its not for beginners nor is it a "magic pill'

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 7:57pm

This is the first 2 Compound 20 ingredients, and are extremely effective ones at that... N-coumarolydopamine & N-caffeoyldopamine, they are compounds found in cocoa plants! That’s right, cocoa plants. I thought you would be surprised to hear where these potent ingredients come from, and if cocoa plants, also known as the source of chocolate, doesn’t surprise you, then i don’t know what will... This next ingredient, Symplocos Racemosa Extract works in a very unique way. This extract works to maximize the quantity of compounds which work together with the aforementioned ingredient, N-Coumarolydopamine & N-caffeoyldopamine, to enhance the effects of it.

Aside from building muscle and strength, this also helps enhance the lipolytic, or fat burning effects, resulting in an increase in the three things that nearly everyone working out wants; fat burning, muscle building, and strength gaining. 

I must say, some people working out with C-20 have experienced side effects like migraines... Some love it and swear by it. Again, your judgement call and do your research....

Image_thumb
49 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 8:05pm
via iOS
Mario-- thank you for sharing all of your knowledge of the different supplements :) you make it so much easier to understand!! Keep up the good work ;)
Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 8:12pm

My service to the people and a pleasure... Lol... Now enough typing, it's time to hit the gym.

Image_thumb
57 Posts
Oct 15, 2012 11:50pm
via Android

I have nooooo idea what your first paragraph said lol..i wouldnt call it a 'fat burner' necessarily i guess bc i didnt get the thermo effects as much as noticing a difference in muscle mass...a stack w oep and c20 is supposed to be a-mazing

Oct 16, 2012 1:11am
via Android

Thank you very much for the good information, Mario. I'll keep it in mind.

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 16, 2012 2:46am

It is not strictly a "fat burner", but that is one of the things it accomplishes... My first 2 paragraphs were sort of a science class, but basically what I was saying (in layman's terms): 2 ingredients in C20 are from the cocoa plant and the other one is their "activator"... 

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 16, 2012 2:53am

Krystal also mentioned OEP... For the sake of clarity, 'cause some people probably have no idea what that is... It is OxyElite Pro, a well known and supposedly very effective "fat burner".

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 16, 2012 2:55am

No problem, Emilio! Information is power, so more power to you...

Image_thumb
57 Posts
Oct 16, 2012 3:13am
via Android

Well thank you layman but i was being somewhat sarcastic

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 16, 2012 3:27am

Oh! That was sarcasm? I'm usually good with detecting it, but after 2 hours in the gym kicking and punching, getting kicked and getting punched... You know, such "subtleties" get lost on you... Oh, and btw, I don't recommend mixing fat burners... Because that is one of the properties of C20... It is not strictly a fat burner, but it is one of its properties... So... OEP + C20= no no

Image_thumb
11 Posts
Oct 16, 2012 5:00am
via iOS
Great job Mario!!
Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 16, 2012 5:20am

Thank you, @Kristie M! Coming from YOU it is much appreciated...

Img_5448_thumb
376 Posts
Oct 16, 2012 5:23am

Oh, Rani... Stop it! Loll...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51