Running

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
64 Posts
May 20, 2013 5:00am
via Android

I've never been good at running. Especially if i am running for exercise.. I go 5 feet and I'm done lol. But today i took off in a full on sprint. I felt like i could have gone a long ways (for me) if i wanted to. But i was just trying to get from point A to point B which wasn't very far (1/4 mile tops). I felt like i had a good rhythm or something.. I didn't feel that normal exhaustion or shortness of breath like i usually feel.. Anyone have any advice? i would like to start running.. but I'm not sure i can get into that groove again.. I did it once when i was in high school and i ran for an hour straight.. Haven't been able to do it again until today (if i would have pushed myself to do it)

20 May
I suggest you start with focus on form by running slow and distance to gain stamina and rhythm. Focusing on form and not on speed will help you avoid injuries. Make sure to stretch after your runs as that will help flex your muscles and avoid aches and pains. See how long you can go on without stopping with a steady rhythmic cadence and pace.
20 May
Have you tried the couch to 5k program? It is a technique to build you up to running a 5k in eight weeks. It is free. All you need is a stopwatch or other timer. Google it.
Image_thumb
20 Posts
May 20, 2013 6:39am
via Android

My response is in comments.

Image_thumb
20 Posts
May 20, 2013 6:54am
via Android

For learning correct form for running, you can read from chi running - book and videos by danny dreyer (checkout some videos and workouts in youtube or u can purchase his book). It helped me a lot in improving my speed without injury or exhaustion. Then there are scores of workoits focusing on core strength. You can do these to improve balance and gain speed in your learning process. One precaustion though - dont run at low inensity for 30 minutes or under that time as it can stunt your height (medically proven).

Enjoy your runs - it helps me reach my zone.

20 May
Lol I'm 5'3 and 28 I think my growth was stunned a long time ago. I've just never been good at running. I get winded and exhausted very quick and never took the time to figure out why. I'm not over weight or anything just out of shape lol. But I figured there had to be something more to just running you know? Pace, form ect.
Icon_missing_thumb
88 Posts
May 21, 2013 2:02pm
via iOS
Glad to see another runner in the making. :). Couple thoughts .. If u like sprinting then form is already probably great... Like the other guy said, keeping that form and slowing it down is tough.... Fun book to read on this is Born to Run.  Thoughts on being winded... Are you breathing through your nose?  Mouth breathing is for sprinting, nose breathing for distance. Lastly, to force a slower pace and build up endurance.... Hill work!!  It sucks when u start but find some mile long hills... Run at least 1/2 mi b4 and after... Will pay off in spades in form, endurance and strength. Happy running!!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51