Any alternatives to squats and lunges?

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
14 Posts
May 23, 2013 1:27pm
via iOS
I can't do any squats or lunges or no jumps coz I have knee injuries... Any suggestions on what I can do instead for the same result?
24 May
Swimming & cycling If you want to do a stationary exercise, try planks with leg lifts.
Image_thumb
14 Posts
May 23, 2013 5:14pm
via iOS
Combination of trauma and bad genes :/ well I took a year off as recovery and did a lot of physiotherapy! But after a small workout of squats etc they hurt for days... So wondering what I could do as a replacement?
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
May 23, 2013 5:36pm
via Android

Have you ever tryed a legg press and leg extension? How did that work for you?

24 May
Yeah, I can't do either... It seems any exercise that uses my knees as a joint is really painful. Including running! Swimming is much better though
Image_thumb
176 Posts
May 23, 2013 11:14pm
via Android

Swimming is great, and low impact cycling (don't go nuts on the bike).

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
May 24, 2013 2:54am
via Android

Hi! I have problems with my knees also and have to watch what I do. I have discovered I can do squats as long as I don't bend my knees over 45 degrees and I just stay in that position (no moving up and down).
I have no answer for jumping - it's just not going to happen with my knees/body. I do have a stationary bike -
much better than a treadmill.

24 May
Yeah I have a stationary bike as well! Treadmill is a no go :/
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
May 24, 2013 10:08pm
via Android

If all these are impossible to do. I am starting to think there is no real replacement. Cycling or swimming really has nothing to do with strenght training ( not that they are bad for the legs, just something completely different )

26 May
I'm not really looking for strength training though, just want to be toned and fit. I just more leg exercises I can do when I'm not near a pool or bike... :/
30 May
I dont understand what you want though. You ask for a substitute of strenght exercises but you are not interested in strenght training? Doesnt really makes sense to me
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
May 30, 2013 2:43pm

I know it's a little old school, but what about step ups. If the steps are not steep, it may not be such an issue. Plus going up and down stairs is a killer leg workout even if you walk it. Be mindful of the impact. Just an idea.

30 May
There my also be some great toning exercises that don't require deep extension or impact in pilates. Great for toning.
30 May
Yeah step ups can be great
Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
May 30, 2013 4:29pm
via Android

Cycling is for you! Way more fun than squats, lunges, or leg presses anyway! (I am shamelessly biased)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51