Should I use protein shakes? When I'm only 14???

22 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Dec 18, 2012 2:04am
via iOS
I wanna know if it's healthy If I stared drinking protein shakes for my workouts?😓 If so please comment the best ones please 😺 so I can check them out and see if I like them lol 😉✖⭕✖⭕BrookieBear💙💗💙💗
20 Dec
I'm ur age and I think you should just take a sport u really like with ur friends its much funner and better way to stay in shape
23 Dec
Protein is bad for you unless you are working out a ton. Their good for you if you can burn them off or if your a body builder.
28 Jan
I would say for your age ensure is a good meal replacement rather than protein shakes... i would say you better get nutrition drinks and not shakes for body builders
14 Feb
Your body is still growing, its better to eat meat and vegetables as a growing foundation of strength. Im 15 about to be 16.
25 Apr
That's bad advice, amber
Image_thumb
311 Posts
Dec 18, 2012 2:28am
via Android

I like muscle milk but a lot of them are fine. I mix with 2 bananas after a workout. U should b fine taking it

19 Dec
Kk thxz :) and is that all u have in a day or how much??
Image_thumb
311 Posts
Dec 18, 2012 2:28am
via Android

Brookie bear. Nice 😄

18 Dec
Haha that's what every one calls me in my house school and etc. lol
541110_441622649222407_1140046401_n_thumb
54 Posts
Dec 18, 2012 3:38am
via Android

Awww BrookieBear💗💜
Too cute!!
If you drink protein shakes, drink tons of water too... Coz the take time to get dissolved. I your tummy they stick.... So to avoid this, drink lots of water.... Plus you could make a smoothie out of veggies... Green leafy veggies+ red(carrots/beets). And eat sprouts after workout too.... Natural protein :D

18 Dec
Thxz sis lol and yes that's my nickname around here where I live lol every one calls me that like every one even my teachers haha
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 18, 2012 3:39am
via iOS
You shouldn't use protein shakes so young. There are healthier ways of getting protein before a workout. Tuna or peanut butter are two ways I get protein before I workout. If you are going to do cardio eat pasta the night before. Your body will store the the extra energy for the next day and you will burn that instead of the energy your body needs to function.
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Dec 20, 2012 4:53am
via iOS
At 14 it's not a good idea to be drinking protein shakes, drink milk, eat healthy, excersise daily and avoid sweets, junk food and similar rubbish. Honestly, at your age all you need is a healthy diet and daily excersise ..
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Dec 20, 2012 6:11am
via iOS
Noo, please don't :) you're too young
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Dec 20, 2012 5:58pm
via iOS
Thxz guys 😺
Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 23, 2012 4:21am
via iOS
No you are too young. Just keep your diet clean. Eat real protein. A small can of tuna in spring water has a similar amount of protein as a protein shake (and much less sugar). 😄
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Dec 23, 2012 6:37am
via iOS
I'm 15 and I go on liquid diets I know it's not good for me though 
23 Dec
If you know it's not good, why do you persist to do it?
25 Apr
My thought on this is because society and media has imprinted an idea that for girls to be seen as beautiful or wanted that they have to be skinny/thin. 85-95% of eating disorders are from women. And over half of teenage girls use an unhealthy weight control method, such as fasting, skipping meals, vomiting and/or taking laxatives. Media shows us what only 5% of women look like, giving females a false sense of what a women should look like, hence why this girl is probably on a liquid diet. Because media (i.e. Television, magazines, pop stars, etc.) idolize this small...
Image_thumb
9 Posts
Dec 23, 2012 11:38am
via Android

Here's the deal, everyone is saying don't do it but I don't see an explanation. The reason why you shouldn't do it is because it puts an excessive strain on your kidneys. Overuse of protein shakes can lead to an imbalance in blood acidity. This can lead to your body compensating by taking calcium from your bones further putting you at risk for kidney stones.

Overuse can also lead to ketosis which stresses the liver further negatively impacting muscle tissue, which is counterproductive.

Protein is good for workout recovery because it helps the body to repair muscle & minimize soreness after a workout. However if you have underlying health issues you may be putting your body at risk. Your body isn't fully developed. Use food sources for increased protein intake. You're better off. I hope this helps.

A. T.

23 Dec
AT I love you thank you for the explanation
25 Apr
Exactly! Dude, you explained pretty well! Overdose of anything is bad, as a matter of fact! And protein shakes just gives your body that extra protein and BCAA which you require when your muscles and tissue breaks down after working out in gym. It helps grow muscles and repair tissue and muscles. Also if you are having issues relating to your liver, its better you avoid it or better consult a doctor. That is all i think. I hope it helps. Good luck.
Image_thumb
20 Posts
Dec 23, 2012 11:45am
via Android

Protein shakes are only a meal supliment. You can simply eat more meat, more egg white, and more milk and it should be ok.

For muscle pain after workouts, take aspine before going to sleep and a hot bath and it will be very helpful for your muscles to recover quikly.

23 Dec
Dont take aspirin if you are under 16yrs it can cause a serious condition called reyes
Image_thumb
13 Posts
Dec 23, 2012 8:09pm
via iOS
Ok guys the thing is that I bearly eat so that why im asking if I can use protein shakes because I only eat maybe two time a day if I have time
25 Apr
Well I use them and I'm 16. But I am also vegan. But you shouldn't use the shakes as a meal supplement. Just eat enough nutritious food each day and if u didn't eat a lot of meat/dairy/egg then have a protein shake as a drink. If u didn't eat any of those then u should probably have the protein powder twice that day . But just make sure u workout. And drink lots of water.
25 Apr
*meal substitute
25 Apr
Well tbh Brooke, you should adopt a habit of eating healthy. Because the fact behind a good and healthy body is 80% diet and 20% workout. So, i'd suggest you better start eating healthy.
Jan 28, 2014 1:13am
Hey I really want to become a bodybuilder so I take protein shakes vitamins fish oils and etc I also workout a lot. Drink lots of water I drink lean body or muscle milk I prefer lean body though :)
Image_thumb
1063 Posts
Apr 25, 2014 10:18am
via Android

Only AT gave sollid advice. Rest clearly dont know what they are talking about. Tbh at your age and lifestyle its not really needed. The amount of grams of protein you need can still be taken in with just food fairly easy. They ppl who work out hard and are trying to build myscle need a 'overamount' of protein in their diet. And proteinshakes are an easy way to consume them.

As you say you only eat twice a day. I would advice you find an easy and protein rich breakfast if you want to add protein. This will also bring you into a in my opinion better eating habbit. And wont bring you into the temptation to use shakes as an meal since you arent hungry.

Image_thumb
21 Posts
Apr 25, 2014 6:28pm
via iOS
You can take protein shakes but switch it up with meals, so if your eating about 4 times a day then do this, 1 meal, 1 shake, 1 meal, 1 shake. It will help, my daughter uses this when she's going in a competition and I use the same shake when I'm going into a bodybuilding competition too 😊😊 http://uk.usn-sport.com/en/diet-fuel
Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Apr 26, 2014 4:37am
via iOS
Yeah your fine. It's just protein and if your lacking protein from not eating enough, then this should be good for you.
10 Aug
I respectfully disagree with this statement considering her age it is generally not recommended for kids or teens to take protein shakes.
Image_thumb
276 Posts
Apr 26, 2014 9:44am
via Android

Depending on ur goals,but I'd stay away from whey proteins and heavy protein shakes being as ur a young girl...if ur not allergic to soy,then drink soy protein for meal replacement snacks and if ur on the run and not able to mix it up,definitely get naked juice protein at the convenience store...it has healthy effects on the body as well:) well I hope I helped,and I am happy that young men and women use this app to stay healthy and focused:) I wish this was around when I was your age lol

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Aug 10, 2015 5:10pm
I've been drinking them since I was 13 and everything is turning out pretty good for me
Image_thumb
1646 Posts
Aug 10, 2015 9:08pm
via iOS
At your age, and given the calorie level/protein intake you need you can easily get the necessary calories/macros from much cheaper sources e.g. Eggs/chicken/fish etc 

Protein shakes aren't needed and will just waste money. 
Image_thumb
26 Posts
Apr 23, 2018 10:44pm
via iOS
Should? No!

Could? Yes!

I personally would only recommend protein supplements to people who use highly intense workouts and wont get their proteins in with their daily diet.

If this is you, protein supplements might be a good idea. 
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Sep 22, 2018 1:20am
via Android

I had gastric bypass surgery better know as weight loss surgery. I was supposed to supplement my protein with protein shakes. Instead of using the empty high calorie drinks that taste awful, I opted to eat a cup of dry beans, in which one cup holds 35 grams of protein. I can only absorb 35 grams in one sitting so it worked out great for me I have never had a shortage of protein, and it also helps my iron and other natural vitamins that the body needs.  So why don't you try to supplement your protein by using dry lentils,beans and also root veggies are a good source of iron and protein.

Skimble-workout-trainer-download-app-recommended-programs

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51

Workout Trainer Forums

Welcome Wagon

6,341 topics, 38,285 posts

Motivation & Support

8,528 topics, 41,545 posts

App Updates

42 topics, 103 posts

Ask the Pros

763 topics, 1,947 posts

Workouts and Programs