How are calories burned calculated?

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
May 14, 2013 8:34pm
via Android

I apologize if this has already been asked and answered; I tried searching but didn't find and posts about it...

How does Skimble determine how many calories were burned on a custom created workout? I created my own workout that I do during lunch at work; it combines doing different upper body motions while climbing stairs, along with a variety of pushups during sets of stairs. I think it's great that Skimble tells me how many calories I burned, I'm just curious how it is calculated. Thanks!

02 Jan
Hi Tom, thanks for your feedback regarding our calorie counter. We use weight, age, and gender to give you an estimate of how many calories you've burnt in each workout, however each person is quite different so obviously the calories burnt will differ from person to person. We just recommend you use the counter in our app to gauge an estimate. We will definitely see if we can improve this feature in a future update for y'all though!
Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 22, 2014 2:57am
Did anyone at Skimblé ever answer this question? I think the calorie burn on custom workouts is too high. I'm curious at to what calorie calculator is being used.
Image_thumb
211 Posts
Dec 22, 2014 4:04am
via Android

What I think is..... When u first sign up, u put ur weight, age, height, etc. On that basis I think the calories are burnt!

Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 22, 2014 4:19am
I'm looking for the calculator used. I've compared skimble's results to six other exercise calculators on the web and none have numbers as high as skimble's. The closest one was still over 100 calories lower. It doesn't seem to matter whether the workout is casual, moderate or intense --- the estimated calorie burn is very high. I did a workout today that was very gentle yoga and stretching and it calculated 245 calories burned in 25 minutes. That's almost 10 calories per min. There's no way I was burning that many calories doing restorative/gentle yoga. Maybe 50 -70 cals but definitely not 245. I know the calorie burn is an estimate but it should be reasonably reliable especially because users are using the info to chart progress and determine net calorie intake, etc.
Icon_missing_thumb
5 Posts
Dec 22, 2014 4:20am
I'm looking for the calculator used. I've compared skimble's results to six other exercise calculators on the web and none have numbers as high as skimble's. The closest one was still over 100 calories lower. It doesn't seem to matter whether the workout is casual, moderate or intense --- the estimated calorie burn is very high. I did a workout today that was very gentle yoga and stretching and it calculated 245 calories burned in 25 minutes. That's almost 10 calories per min. There's no way I was burning that many calories doing restorative/gentle yoga. Maybe 50 -70 cals but definitely not 245. I know the calorie burn is an estimate but it should be reasonably reliable especially because users are using the info to chart progress and determine net calorie intake, etc.
Image_thumb
1657 Posts
Dec 22, 2014 7:06am
via iOS
Hi Tom, I think the calories burned is purely an approximate based on how long the workout has run for (time). You're right, it's just an estimate and is too high. It doesn't matter whether I'm dripping sweat or eating Cheetos outta my belly button, it'll still say the same amount of calories. 
It's very difficult for skimble to get accurate numbers though so I cut them some slack 

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51