Swimming

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
20 Posts
May 16, 2013 4:32pm
via Android

Are there any specific workouts to improve swimming?

Image_thumb
40 Posts
May 16, 2013 5:42pm
via Android

If your goal is to maximize your swimming potential, then the type of Excersise youd really benefit from doing are those that build your endurance and workout multiple parts of your body. Try to get excersises that give you a full range of motion. -Cardio type would be good as long as you wear ankle/wrist weights as you move. As u know, Swimming requires both strength and emdurance, so taking endurance excersises and making them a little harder by adding weights (3-10lb range) can help you on both fronts. I find that Active.com and mens/womens health also hav3 some pretty good advice for swimmers looking to step up their game. I hope this helps and good luck with your endeavors!
J

17 May
Thank you Joshua. I will definitely look up on those websites.
Image_thumb
20 Posts
May 17, 2013 4:47pm
via Android

Thank you so much. I'd really appreciate that. Yes I do have access to the gym but I'm weary of using it. If its essential and helps improve swimming, I'll do it. I must clarify that I'm just a beginner as a swimmer. Just abt a week old - I'm able to float and do breast stroke without breathing. I'm abt to learn breathing techniques. Thank you once again.

Image_thumb
20 Posts
May 21, 2013 7:58am

Hello Joshua, 

Thanks for the tips. Found all the three websites with a wealth of knowledge stored therein. I am starting with the beginners drills/workouts and I must say it is extremely helpful. Thank you so much for your help and showing the direction.

Best regards, 

Sanjay

Image_thumb
19 Posts
May 21, 2013 11:30am
via Android

well. i'm a swimmer so i suggest that you would swim for 5 times a week and i day for land training. your choice if gym or jogging or whatever. your choice. that helped me improve. :)

Image_thumb
47 Posts
May 21, 2013 12:44pm
via iOS
I swim 3 days a week. But when you train you have I train HARD. Personally, I have joined a team and have a coach to push me as hard as I can go (and she does). 
     But I think a way to do it (if like my mom u don't want to stop for breaks and keep up endurance) is this:

Warm up (at home or somewhere you can do dry land excersise a) :  25-50 jumping jacks. 20 push ups. 1 minute ELBOW plank. Mountain climbers for 45 seconds. And last (but my least least LEAST favorite) do 10-15 burpees. 

In water:  do a medium speed 300 (if you wish you can make that a 400 or 500, but for those hundreds make sure you keep a regular pace) 

Next: get out your kickboard (or do streamline kicks if a kickboard is not availuable)  and do a 200 I.M. ORDER kick. 

For rest of swimming workout: do something like this if you don't want to have to stop:  Swim one slowish (medium speed) lap.  Then do another one as fast as you can (or near to as fast). Now do another medium before doing 2 fast ones. I think you get the gist of it... It's like interval swimming!  

If you are going to aim speed, make sure you swim with fast kicks and arms when going fast.  Long arms, but fast. We don't want a T-Rex in the pool!  (Meaning you have short arm strokes, not that ur big) 

Ok. I could give you other workouts also if you don't mind stopping and are aiming more for muscle or something. Although I can't give you too much about muscle...  

I hope this helped in some way!  
Stay fit, Stay Healthy,
Julia<3
Image_thumb
27 Posts
May 21, 2013 1:01pm
via iOS
I've swum for years and my sisters still swim: they've done national level. They've done land training for strength: weights and such. I trained 5 days a week, and added abs. But if you're a beginner make sure you get someone to teach you the techniques of swimming before anything else. I sometimes go swimming still

And get your core strong! 

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51