Unanticipated Body Shape

11 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
11 Posts
Jul 15, 2013 1:18am

I have recently been working on improving my core, and have been consistently working out while maintaining a diet that has previously never altered my shape. However, in the process of sculpting my core, I've noticed that my stomach visually appears larger in an unflattering way although the scale says I have only gained about 3/4 pounds ( I assume to muscle gain since my diet wouldn't allow this). I am in the beginning weeks of this change & I have never had a six pack before. Is this change usual considering you'd expect your stomach to look smaller? Will I drop this noticeable weight? Or should I alter my routine completely?

12 Aug
Just don't train your Obliques because these will make you look a lot bigger. The obliques will make youe waist a lot bigger. Just train lower, upper and inner abs for a flatter stomach.
08 Oct
Are you on kik?
Image_thumb
47 Posts
Jul 15, 2013 1:30am
via Android

your muscles get bigger when they are constintly being used. so if your abs burn or are sore they'll increase in size because muscles only get as big as needed. also your stomach will only flatten if there was fat over it.

15 Jul
So the increase of size in my muscle is responsible for the bulge? That's refreshing but will the fat that is over the growing muscle eventually trim away?
Image_thumb
47 Posts
Jul 15, 2013 2:07am
via Android

it will if the exercises make your stomach burn not become sore.when there's burning tells you your fat basically being removed.

15 Jul
The burning is because a build up of lactic acid in the muscles not fat being removed
16 Jul
Icon_missing_thumb
122 Posts
Jul 15, 2013 2:37am
via Android

Have you started taking supplements that cause bloating? Like Creatine?

15 Jul
Image_thumb
226 Posts
Jul 15, 2013 3:05am
via iOS
Your stomach could be getting bigger from muscle build. There is no guarantee that the layer of fat will go away, but you do need to be careful that you do not build the abdominal muscles too much. I would focus on burning the fat with cardio first, then focus on getting a six-pack. Otherwise, you may accidentally build more muscle then you want, because the layer of fat will deceive you. The only thing is that you are a girl; girls do not build muscle very easily, so it may be just bloating in the stomach and intestines that makes your stomach look bigger. Drink lots of water and eat healthy, and you will achieve your goal.
15 Jul
Your reply was well put! I appreciate your help
15 Jul
No problem!
06 Aug
I was just going to suggest to increase your cardio to burn the fat over the muscles. You can keep doing ab exercises that may build the muscle but you would have to she'd the fat over to see the definition.
Image_thumb
147 Posts
Jul 15, 2013 9:47pm
via iOS
The trick to getting a flatter stomach with light abs is to actually do alot of cardio first then so ab workouts. You never want to focus too much on abs without cardio because it will make your stomach "look fat."
16 Jul
Much appreciated :)
Image_thumb
70 Posts
Jul 16, 2013 8:39am
via Android

In my own personal experience, working on abs alone has the bulging muscle affect but doing cardio that includes ab work, doing breathing exercises, and doing core strengthening moves rather than just abs will help build and define muscle that appears flatter.  Pilates, yoga, and kickboxing are great for this!!  My Pilates instructor told me to pull my stomach in toward my spine always and especially when working out to help the muscles develop in the flat, pulled in shape rather than the bulging shape that appears it you push your muscles outward when doing a sit up.  I have no science to back that up, but it seems to work judging by her clients.  It helps support the spine anyway, so not a bad habit to get into.  Being a girl, though, you can experience normal bloating due to food or drinks or gas/constipation or girl stuff like your period or other hormonal changes.  If it's any of these just take note and it will probably go away on its own.  If it persists, you may want to have your dr check for any digestive conditions.

16 Jul
Definitely nothing to do with bloating but I will take your suggestion! Thank you for your help!
Icon_missing_thumb
122 Posts
Aug 3, 2013 9:20pm
via Android

I was doing my ab exercises today and something occurred to me and it made me think of your belly lol. When you do, say, crunches, are you making sure you are pulling your belly button towards your spine? If you don't, every time you crunch up your abs will bulge outwards. You can actually see this happen. This seems to train the muscle to bulge out rather than be flat. So make sure you pull that belly button in at all times during those ab workouts! :) 

Image_thumb
85 Posts
Aug 4, 2013 9:09am
via iOS
do leg lifts and don't let your lower back arch. if you start arching your lower back just stop until you can hold it straight again. you shouldn't be able to build muscle if your doing a lot of reps. gain of muscle mass comes with low reps.
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Aug 6, 2013 2:02am
via Android

Strong core equal longer cardio sk if u want a flat belly or abs combine those workout those go hand and hand.

Image_thumb
15 Posts
Aug 6, 2013 2:54am
via Android

I did the same thing, but I kept with it and my waist line has shrunk. However, one thing I do know, you can work on your abs and do all the cardio & core you want, but if you don't have the right diet, you won't reveal your cut. You say the diet you're following had done nothing in the past, it might not be the right one to support your activity. Lots of lean proteins on strength training days. Lean protein & proper carbs on hi cardio days to support muscle building and recovery. I find I have to research nutrition and find what works for me, we have different body types, therefore we have different needs. So keep experimenting, and keep going, cuz is all working for the greater good, a more fit you!

06 Aug
I had lost a lot of weight(worded it excessively poorly in my description) with my diet but I will look to mix up & find what works for me!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51