Dumbbell question.

3 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
Nov 10, 2013 7:09pm
via Android

What is a good weight to start off with dumbbells? My grandparents have two that are one lb. And they told me if I do a lot of reps with them it will help with my arms but I don't feel like one pound will do much. Any help is appreciated.

Image_thumb
83 Posts
Nov 10, 2013 7:18pm
via Android

Well some of the muscle freaks at the la fitness make fun of me for lifting just the bar when doing bench press (I'll lift it 100-150 times) but then after talking to them I get them to wrestle with me and they find out really quick who is stronger... some people want to be able to pick up and move a whole truck 3 feet, others (me) want to take it apart and move it miles.
Muscle endurance is more powerful than muscle strength.

So to answer yes lifting lighter weight and doing a lot of reps will make you stronger.

10 Nov
Thank you so much!
10 Nov
Michael-i started with 10lbs,those are wayyyy to light for me. I now use 20 &25lb dumbels. So is it ok for me to do high reps with those like 20-30reps? Cuz thats what ive been doing &im stronger &my muscles are defined. Tell me if im wrong or need less weight:-)
10 Nov
Like i said 10-15lbs are too light for me. I can do over 100reps &wont feel burn
10 Nov
You are doing great.. lifting heavy is only for looks it gets you big (yes it will increase your one rep max) but lighter weights more reps builds lean muscle which is muscle strength. Keep up the high reps and add weight as you get more endurance.
10 Nov
And high reps to me is over 50 for single muscle exercises such as bicep curls or calf raises, I aim for 100 or more for muscle group exercises like bench press or deadliftdeadliest.
Image_thumb
91 Posts
Nov 10, 2013 8:21pm
via Android

He's right. I use 10lb dummbells with reps of 30-50

10 Nov
Thanks!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51