Fitness Myths

5 posts | Original | Recent
1018 Posts
Jul 13, 2013 12:29am
via Android

He guys.

We all know there are alot of myths when it comes to fitness. You can post them here and explain whats wrong with them!

1. No pain no gain

Its great to feel sore after an intense workout. But pain is never a good thing. If you arent totally sore the next day this does not say your workout wasnt enough. Pain other than soreness means you made mistake in form during your workout. A wrist or elbow hurting or not feeling 100% is the first sing that you compramised form! Look back at your training and improve it the next time.

2. Machines are better because of the correct form.

Totally wrong. Machines give you an alrdy set range of motion. When you arent able to completely change this range of motion to your body. It forces you in a bad position and makes it alot more likely to obtain an injury. While working with free weights maintaining an correct form is not easy but alot better to learn and control.

3. Woman should just workout on light weight and go for high reps.

Wrong. The body of men and women differ in alot of ways. But in even more ways they work the same way. The lady 3 pound dumbell wont help you at all. Even if you go for 60 repetitions. Simply because it doesnt give enough resistance. If you want to get stronger and have better looking body follow a normal workout plan.

4. I just want to tone my muscles.

This is a wrong way of looking at it. This because it implies several things that are either completely opposites or impossible. A toned body is a body on a low bodyfat percentage and develloped muscles. A toned muscle is a muscle which is continiously partly contracting.

What is implied with toning your body is that you can lower the bodyfat AND build muscle with the same exercise. It becomes even worse when ppl say they are toning their arms. This implies they are burning fat at just their arms (impossible) and at the same time building muscle (complete opposite). What people usually want when they want to 'tone' is a toned body. You cant tone a body with just an exercise but you can increase your muscle mass or lower your bodyfat. And if you eat really good and work really hard you can get results in both departments while following a good workout plan.

Who got some more?

13 Jul
spoken like a true boss!
13 Jul
Wise word from da boss...
13 Jul
Good call Rappa. Some pearls of wisdom and myth busting right there
12 Posts
Jul 13, 2013 12:32am
via Android

I love "I just want to tone my muscles"

144 Posts
Jul 13, 2013 6:22pm

What gets me is "i need to lose 10 pounds in two weeks." There is no healthy way to do this. Weight control is about good nutrition and exercise choices over time, which is why its really a choice  of lifestyle not a diet or exercise program that you knock out in 14 days.

27 Posts
Jul 13, 2013 6:40pm
via iOS
Actually, I just had someone drop 6 pounds of fat in one week's time. And I've helped a couple of guys each drop 8 lbs in 2 weeks. There should be no reason why a person should struggle to drop 2 to 5 pounds in one month if they're supposedly getting their complete nutrition and even just an ok exercise regimen. Exercise is Not more important that Nutrition.
I've helped people get in better shape and health in a short time even with just a great Nutrition Program. It starts at the Cellular Level.
13 Jul
So what are you trying to make clear?
14 Jul
Hi Adriana - From you post, I think we're aligned on things, like it being a combination of diet and exercise that sustains optimal health over the long term. And certainly weight loss amounts of 2-5 pounds a month with proper nutrition and ok exercies regimen are fine. My concern is for the many folks who post a desire for pronounced weight loss, asking for the the 'right workout' to make it happen in a short amount of time. There are issues with this in terms of general health and overall sustainability. Additionally, if it doesn't work out for them,...
27 Posts
Jul 13, 2013 10:43pm
via iOS
It was a reply to Jason's comment

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51