Abs exercising

2 posts | Original | Recent

Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Jul 29, 2013 12:45pm

Okay, so I've seen a few people on here say that exercising abs for 2+ days in a row is bad. Is this true and if so, why?

I only ask because I have also seen people on here say the complete opposite: that your abs are the one part of your body that you can hit daily. :-S

Thanks

Image_thumb
70 Posts
Jul 29, 2013 1:19pm
via Android

Your abs need rest just like the rest of your body.  If the muscles can't rest they can't heal and that will delay your progress.  I don't see any reason why you can't work your abs 4 or 5 days each week if you wanted.  The main thing is you do give them rest.  I think the idea from only working your abs a couple times a week makes more sense because ab only work that does not involve the entire core is pretty much just for appearance.  In that case, typically the muscles are there, just hidden under fat.  So working on abs everyday doesn't make sense.  If you have a particular goal, "I'd like to be able to _____" and it requires a strong core, train 5 days a week.  For most people lifting for their full entire body, everything gets two days.  Upper body day, lower body day, core day, reapeat with one day of complete rest.  It gives all muscle groups adequate workout time and rest time and cuts back on time of each workout (as opposed to trying to hit all 3 in a single workout twice each week).  As far as a normal, daily workout for a healthy life style, this weight training is really all you need.  Short term you could do more, but it just wouldn't be practical for a long term routine (unless you're a body builder or something...).  I hope that is helpful!!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51