Running

14 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Aug 1, 2013 11:51am
via Android

What is the difference between running outside and running on the spot? Which one it better! Xx

Image_thumb
42 Posts
Aug 1, 2013 12:04pm
via iOS
Its all about what you like. I will never run on the threadmill - I like running outside in any season (and Denmark got it all: rain, snow, wind, sun).
So do what you likeĀ 
01 Aug
I like running on the spot, thanks :-)
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Aug 1, 2013 1:22pm
via Android

It all what you like the diffrences i see is the way i breath when im loutside there is always change in weather. but on a treadmill or on the spot u in a control tempeture setting.

Icon_missing_thumb
76 Posts
Aug 1, 2013 3:18pm
via Android

If you're doing it as part as circuit training for a minute or two, it will serve the same purpose as jumping rope in-between strength-training sets or exercises: keeping your heart rate going. But it definetely is not the same as running outside or on a treadmill, or jumping rope. First of all, there is no wind resistance for you to work against, no changes in terrain (or incline, if you're on a treadmill) and I think I heard someplace that it is more likely to cause overuse injuries because you're moving in the same place. It's just not as effective :) One great thing you can do at home instead of just jogging in place is drills-these will work and strengthen your leg muscles, to make you a stronger runner. Jog in place lifting your knees really high for 2 minutes, then switch to kicking up your heels very high for another 2 minutes. Skip sideways, alternating sides. You can do this even if you don't have much room, say in an apartment. If you have a bench or even a step, you can try step exercises. Hope this helped

01 Aug
Thank u :-)
Image_thumb
78 Posts
Aug 1, 2013 3:33pm
via Android

For me, running on a treadmill is harder because you don't have the change in scenery. When I run outside, I don't think about how much further I have to go as much; I can just focus on my breathing and stride.

Image_thumb
27 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 12:23am
via iOS
Running outside is easier for me because I think less about how tired I may be, and you have the change in scenery:)
Image_thumb
14 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 12:41am
via Android

I think running on treadmill is gr8.....because u can keep count of ur perfornmance and keeps u boosting to push ur limits further.....

Image_thumb
56 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 12:49am
via iOS
Treadmill: boring and expensive, you have to go to where the treadmill is.
Outside: Interesting, varied, free and always really really close to where you are at any time.

I often laugh at the idea of people stuck going nowhere in traffic waiting to get to the gym where they can get on a treadmill and then spend an hour also going nowhere while someone running outside can spend that entire time going somewhere, and for free!
02 Aug
Unless you have a reasonably priced treadmill at home, and the weather outside is 42-56 C. I'd like to see you laughing then! =P
02 Aug
Ha ha! Saroon my friend, I live in Australia, super hot weather is a fact of life here too. When it's that hot you laugh at the people still inside, or trapped in their cars on the way to the gym and you either toughen the hell up and do what you planned to do (a favourite of mine), or listen to nature and hit the beach! But the toughen up thing, we call Type II fun. You know, the kind of fun you have when you're not having fun. ... I think that's an extreme sport mindset though
06 Aug
Adelaide :)
Image_thumb
56 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 12:52am
via iOS
I guess the advantage of a treadmill at a gym is that you can see how many people are watching you and you can have little competitions in your mind with the person on the treadmill next to you (who is also secretly checking out how you are going and whether or not they are running better, faster etc than you, plus working out who is the hottest person in the gym and if they are likely to be in the top three hottest people on a treadmill)

02 Aug
No, I'm a coach, this is the most common complaint I get from clients about why they stopped going to the gym (if they are runners). Other reasons include: Women feeling intimidated or watched by dudes pumping iron. Men being sick of muscle heads coming over next to them and doing the same exercise but with bigger weight. Unsolicited advice being given to someone who is exercising for their own reasons, while the "helpful" expert handing out Bro Science advice tells them how to get huge by doing *insert their favourite iron pumping theory here* and taking xx supplements. :)
Image_thumb
56 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 2:42pm

Adelaide, you in Australia?

02 Aug
Yeah mate, gets pretty warm here too eh.
02 Aug
Woo! Three Aussies! I reckon Perth might win in the heat stakes, although you do have the Doctor calling in most days. It stays either super still and hot or big norther lies and like a fan forced oven here. Sydney, well that humidity with the heat... At least we do have beaches, plenty of those US states are landlocked.
04 Aug
Yeah mate, we can be having a bit of sea-breeze relief, sometimes. Its the week's on end of high 30's and low 40's that get to you. I haven't tried doing outside running on our summer. Respect to you if you have. I do all my running on jogging trampi during the eek, and for real on hockey field on Saturday and Monday. Have to start outfit running though for tough mudder in Oct.
Untitled_thumb
23 Posts
Aug 2, 2013 7:55pm
via Android

It's all about you how do you feel better, running on treadmill has it's benefits and running out on the open has it's own moments so i think it's all about how you feel.I must say running outside it's the best for me :-)

Image_thumb
170 Posts
Aug 4, 2013 4:30am
via Android

Definitely outside because you increase your aerobic endurance and your speed

Image_thumb
56 Posts
Aug 4, 2013 11:43am

It's normally my wife who puts the brakes on me when it's super hot. So if it is something like going climbing and she is the climbing partner for the day she convinces me to go to the beach to dive and swim etc... I remember a while ago my mate getting on a big long route at his maximum grade in full sun in 44 degreesmud ring a record breaking heat wave... His shoes were melting on the rock - one of the most inspiring things I've ever seen.

but, yeah, I love it when we get weather extremes, being so stupidly uncomfortable is so much fun... In hindsight :-P

Image_thumb
14 Posts
Aug 4, 2013 11:56am
via iOS
Running outside actually makes u work 10% harder due to uneven terrains and unlike the treadmill doesn't assist u in ur runs.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51