Scared to go to the gym and be judged!

17 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 6:38am
via iOS
So I'm 17. I used to play basketball and softball for 9 years. Up until I moved I started gaining a lot of weight! I really want to get my life back and live like a normal teenager. I recently bought a gym membership but I'm terrified to be this out of shape and having to workout in front of fitness fanatics. I don't want their critiques to ruin my motivation. What do I do?
11 Aug
What you do is TUNE THEM OUT! As a mother of three boys-9, 5, and 19 months at 30 years of age, I FELL OUT when getting back to exercising! I know it is hard for you, as I think back on my lack of confidence at 17, but hang in there! The fact that you have the goal of exercising in the first place is a start! Do not get discouraged! People may or may not react the way you think, and most of it will be hyper-inflated by your own imagination and expectations anyhow. We are our own...
11 Aug
Heyy, U know. This happened with me also. Then I realized one fact that Gym looks crowded because of the mirrors placed everywhere.. Just be honest to your workout and you will definitely shred it!
11 Aug
Thanks! Glad to know I'm not the only one. I Need to suck it up and stop caring what everyone thinks. But that's easier said than done!
Image_thumb
105 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 6:47am
via iOS
The gym is there to help you. Don't be scared. No one will judge you for trying to be healthy.

And if they critique, it's to help you succeed. 
Image_thumb
105 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 5:13pm
via iOS
I weighed 125lbs in high school. I played rugby, softball, and always took a PE class. Two years after high school, I gained 45lbs. Unlike you, my closest gym is 20 miles away. I did workouts in my house using this app and calorie counting. I went from 170lbs down to my current 137lbs in 7 months. So you don't have to go to gym to lose weight. 

Being as you have a membership, my suggestion would be try working out a bit at home until your comfortable enough to go to gym. Take those baby steps to build your confidence up. When you finally go, become familiar with the machines; basically which ones work out what part of your body. If you want to work with weights, set goals for yourself. 

I completely understand how you feel. When I weighed 170lbs, I was extremely self conscience. Even to the point of crying while shopping because the clothes I liked didn't fit. I avoided going in public. I had one pair of jeans that fit. So if you really want to lose the weight, you just have to focus on what your goal. It's not easy, but it's worth it. Just remind yourself that you'll feel better someday. Anytime you lose motivation, remember how self-conscience you feel now as a reminder to keep going. 

11 Aug
This is to a point me. Thank you do much for the words of wisdom!
Image_thumb
347 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 6:29pm

Remembered the first time I entered a gym,it was thriling..love it..just remeber one thing,gym gonna be ur best friend..just forget about the others..just go and train,be dedicated and regular..and the rewards will be a great body,and confidence too..and dnt forget,we all had to start somewhere..so they dnt have right to judge u,gud luck

Image_thumb
94 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 7:28pm
via Android

This saying annoys me but YOLO :)  And trust me in 10 years you are going to appreciate the body you have now :)  just do it girl!

12 Aug
Haha definitely! Thanks!
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 7:37pm
via iOS
omg same!! I also don't like running around the block for the same reason.
Image_thumb
92 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 7:43pm
via iOS
I completely understand how you feel girl! Im 16 and am extremly worried about others watching me But don't worry many people there will hardly even notice you because they're busy doing their own exercises!! Just worry about yourself! Take magazines to look at or watch a movie on your phone while running! Or bring a friend to workout with you!  Zone everyone out and just remember how good you're going to feel when you're done
Image_thumb
89 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 7:44pm
via Android

I was the same,  had my induction and booked a personal trainer session for the next week.
I went twice on my own to get a feel for what I liked cardio wise, then told the trainer. They devise a plan and its so easy to follow and they target whatever you want.
Personal trainer sessions are included in my fee up to once every 6-8weeks.
Hooe you build the courage,  I did and lost 4 dress sizes and kept the weight off. Good luck x

12 Aug
Thank you! I'm glad everything is working out for you!
12 Aug
Aw thanks, thats sweet. I'm sure you will find your own rhythm, everyone is right just go for it, be the best you that you can!
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 8:21pm
via Android

Just go for it. No one will judge the look but your effort.

Image_thumb
31 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 11:46pm
via Android

Ask one of the gym staff to give you a programme and show you a few moves to get you started and feeling confident with the equipment. Most people are far too absorbed in what they are doing to notice others in the gym.  Or admiring themselves in the mirror. ...

Image_thumb
47 Posts
Aug 11, 2013 11:57pm
via Android

i was in the same situation because when i was 14 i started working out and going to the gym. just go with friends or family but if you can't just listen to your favorite songs it might help.

Image_thumb
3 Posts
Aug 12, 2013 5:01am
via iOS
Thanks everyone for all the words of encouragement! It's awesome to know strangers are rooting for you personal success as well! I'm definitely going for it! I'm gonna show em' what this girls got! :
Image_thumb
397 Posts
Aug 12, 2013 6:52am
via iOS
The gym suppose yo help you get you ideal body along with dieting so dont like nothing stand in the way of your goals
Image_thumb
26 Posts
Aug 12, 2013 8:03am
via Android

Dint worry that's how I felt when I started modeling because I thought I wasn't the right figure and even when I started ballet in the rad I thought I wasn't good enough
But theatres always usually someone fatter or worse than you

Image_thumb
71 Posts
Aug 12, 2013 9:27am
via iOS
Go to the gym. No one will judge you they will have respect for you making you start to become a better you. Becoming for takes a lot of effort time and mental strength. Heck I feel terrible missing a gym session in 3 days. And I'm fit. So if I see someone starting my who properly can't run or lift I have huge respect for you starting :D be proud to go to the gym. Be proud of you and what you want and you show the disepline and strength to show up :D
Image_thumb
1 Post
Aug 12, 2013 6:24pm
via iOS
I don't think anyone would judge you, it's a gym for Pete's sake, everyone there was out of shape once, or why else would they be there! Even if they do though, that's their prob not yours
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Aug 12, 2013 6:28pm
via iOS
You shouldn't care what people think about you. Nobody's perfect !

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51