Fibromyalgia and motivation to stay healthy and in shape

2 posts | Original | Recent
2 Posts
Aug 27, 2013 2:09pm
via Android

I joined because I have medical issues and have a really hard time with keeping motivation to keep moving right now. I refuse to let my fibromyalgia, costochondritis, chronic back pain and other health issues keep me down and haven't had this issue before. I live for being active and all of my families hobbies are outdoor activities that require strength. I was keeping on top of my weight and strength (more weight seems to mean more pain) but then this summer I had to have surgery and the doctor said NO ACTIVITY... STAY IN BED. I was restricted for 6 weeks. I lost 10 pounds because I was too sick and tired to eat, but lost my muscle (I was pretty muscular even with my issues because of all my hobbies). Now my cloths are all tight and I know that even though I am tired and hurt I need to get back to normal before I get overwhelmed and go downhill. I spent the last 8 years working on myself so I could enjoy life and deal with my pain. Its hard starting from scratch again.

Does anyone else have fibromyalgia? What workouts did you use to get on track?

28 Aug
Hey I was recently diagnosed with fibromyalgia as well. Some days are definitely harder then others but even on really bad days I just push myself to walk moderately for 20 minutes. It's at least a little something and it does seem to help so I can achieve more throughout the day. Still learning how to manage it any tips would be helpful. Good luck and remember you're not the only one going through this.
2 Posts
Aug 28, 2013 12:47pm
via Android

On really bad days I can't even get out of bed.  It is literally impossible to move.  My doctor says most people with my severity are on disability and don't work. I ride horses, hunt, and fish.  I push past where everyone else does. Most of the time I can still do more than most women who are perfectly healthy because I do not give up.  I have researched and experimented and have found a couple things.....  FM has certain foods to avoid that can make it worse. For me its gluten and dairy. I haven't cut them out, but I have reduced them. Add maca and protein shakes and chlorella to your diet, they help too. I get mine through Vega, but other companies have it too.  I belong to support groups for help, and when I get discouraged I reach out on them.  I have never had a problem like this before where I couldn't get the motivation for the push. I have always struggled but never this badly.  The problem with pushing through pain is FM will always punish you for it. I can work in the barn all day one day feeding and mucking stalls, and the next day be in so much pain I can't even think.  On those days you can't push through. You have to let your body recover.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51