How do you work on your abs with a bum back??

5 posts | Original | Recent

203090_1386140985_1816306011_n_thumb
3 Posts
Sep 3, 2013 4:58pm
via Android

I have several back problems and am on alot of restrictions, can't lift over 10 lbs, no repetitive bending, twisting motion of back hips or legs..so what the heck can i do to tone my stomach

Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 3, 2013 5:12pm
via iOS
I have no idea what a workout routine would be like for a person with so many restrictions. But I know I would look at yoga first. Even yoga has some poses that would be a no-no for you, but there are some neat poses where you need to keep part of your body weight off the floor in a position that you have to hold. No twisting your spine, no considerable weight to lift... I would start looking there.

Ultimately though, given the severe restrictions you have, I would most likely build my own routine based on workouts that look like they are good for my body but that contain some exercises that are prohibited for me. I would take those workouts and cut out the stuff that I know I am not allowed to do.

If you want to burn fat, cardio is the way to go, and there are many ways you can do cardio that allow you to work around the restrictions. Biking and swimming come to mind.
03 Sep
I have done aquatic therapy out was so wimpy lol ..I do push myself and do some things I shouldn't I'm doing 30 day squats challenge right now..I do alot of walking planks, push ups against counter I.found I can handle with minimal pain after ...what about the exercise ball anything on that I could do to work on belly lol
03 Sep
And love yoga lol I do wii fit yoga!
04 Sep
I have been dreaming of a Wii fit forever! It sounds like great fun and I heard lots of good things about it. I have the Just Dance Wii games and they are fantastic. It is heavy cardio for me, so I can only do a few songs at a time and prefer to rely on regular workouts, but it is the most fun I have had working out!
369300_100003155125812_2105145974_n_thumb
1 Post
Sep 3, 2013 5:48pm
via Android

Stability ball crunches are easy on the back & require more resistance than on floor. Also try working other body parts@ same time..i.e. chest presses & chest flyes on stability ball, alternating arm chest presses, & plank exercises. Make sure keep core tight w/EVERYTHING, especially plank; also superman's: lie on floor w/arms & legs straight out, lift chest & thighs off floor &hold for beat. Will strengthen lower back. B careful w/ cardio: usually people w/ back probs are advised to do recumbant bikes & low-impact..personally, I avoid treadmill bc impact on back & joints. For high-impact, make sure not on concrete /asphalt..rubber or padded carpeted floors usually more forgiving. If have access to lower back extension machine, feels great!!! Get better range of motion than floor superman, & can hang there to stretch out & align. Avoid vibration /shaking equipment!! If already bad back can make worse or slip disk!

03 Sep
I have 2 herniated disc one of them is totally bad, and sitting on nerve to hip edema to sciatica at l-5 from hernia sitting on nerve root for yr before first surgery then had a second.also have degenerative disc disease , bursitis in hips an exposed nerve in back and fibromyalgia ,I just can't let all that have me...I push myself to do it to be healthy , I love treadmill just can't run I do exercise for core against wall ppt feet up lift butt hold and the ones standing against wall I do a 30 day arm...
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 4, 2013 4:22am
via iOS
My partner uses a stability ball. I have only used it for stretching, and he got a prescription by the physio. But I did try a few things I saw on Skimble that were for abs that did seem to make a lot of sense, without actually working out. I think there are neat planks that can be done on a ball. For my own purposes, though, I really see more of a cool way to stretch in it.

But I think the ball is definitely worth a try for what you want to do, and it does seem to be low and no impact, which is probably a good thing in your case.

I have liked Saint Patrick's Day Ball (link doesn't work) as something to eventually try out on the ball, but I am probably not in good enough shape yet to do it.
203090_1386140985_1816306011_n_thumb
3 Posts
Sep 4, 2013 6:25am
via Android

St. Patrick's Day Ball I'll have to try this..but first guess I better get me some balls haha jk ..I have full membership to gym and they offer classes for people with fibromyalgia think I'm going to take one up..thought about aquatic class also but it's prolly all old women in bathing caps lol I refuse to be old

04 Sep
I see what you mean about the old woman stuff! I like gardening, but every time I visit an event that has to even remotely do with gardening, the cool but old women creep me out. I appreciate their knowledge and kindness, but the vibe just doesn't suit me! ;) I will end up where they are sooner or later, but in the mean time, there's no rush!
05 Sep
I have almost 2 acres you can come do gardening here haha..I planted a pumpkin kit for son 1 pumpkin and the plant is huge took over..and tomatoes which are coming out awesome and potatoes ...that's extent of my gardening lol but I do like to throw head phones on and go mow..well time to go do my squat arm challenge ..wish me luck
05 Sep
Oh, how I wish I lived next door to your place! I have to make do with 200 sq.ft.! City soil is never deep enough for potatoes. :'( It is my dream to move out of the city and have land where I am left alone... Maybe in a few years. But first, I have to get my body in shape. ;)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51