Am I overtraining?

19 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
55 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 1:20pm

Hello everyone. I started going to the gym on the 23rd of January this year. Ever since that day I haven't missed a single day of gym except for 8 days in June because of my exams and Sundays because the gym is closed that day. I usually workout for around 1.5-2 hours 6 days a week. It mostly consists of 5-10 minutes of cycling as a warm-up then exercises for the part I'm doing that particular day then a few exercises for core and obliques. Usually 10-12 exercises per day. I do like to challenge myself so I keep increasing the weight/reps whenever I feel like I can. Here's my normal week:

Monday - Legs and Core

Tuesday - Chest

Wednesday - Back

Thursday - Shoulders

Friday - Triceps

Saturday - Biceps

Recently I've been having pain in my knees, occasional pain in upper and lower back, sometimes in my chest, sometimes elbows :\ So my question is, am I overtraining?

06 Sep
You have to let your muscles rest to build up. When we workout we basically strip them. So, you have to let them test to build up to the outcome we love so much. The poison may be because you may be straining the muscles and the work is going into the ligaments and tendons.
06 Sep
It was a trainer who told me no more than 2or 3 days in a row. Then rest a day or 2. You may want to rest two days and then workout for 2 the next 6-8wks! Take care!
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 1:33pm
via Android

Well I definitely think you should get that checked out. And maybe do a couple light workouts from time to time sounds like your doing a little too much. But first definitely get checked and maybe a massage ;-)

Icon_missing_thumb
4 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 1:33pm
via Android

Well to be honest I'm not sure but maybe you should try toning it down with the workouts. Maybe you should try resting for a day or two see if that helps

06 Sep
You should take rest for 2-3 days then do simple workout ,
Icon_missing_thumb
55 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 3:01pm
via iOS
Okay then. I'll take 2-3 days off and see if it gets any better. I thought Sunday would be enough rest for a week. How much rest does the body need to recover from worktouts? :/
I'm already thinking of going to the gym tomorrow since I don't want to skip ):
06 Sep
Lol relax guy lol... rest for 2 days
Image_thumb
397 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 6:28pm
via iOS
Unless you to 20 sets a body part you trally shoundnt to be honest
Image_thumb
160 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 6:35pm
via iOS
How much rest your body needs after working out depends on what shape you are in, what kind of workouts you do, how long your workouts last, how intense they are and your general physical condition. Also, your diet, the time of day you work out and the times of day you eat. It is personal, to each his own. 

What's the rush anyway? There is no deadline I hope! Your body looks beautiful in your picture, I would change nothing about it, I would just maintain it. The little improvement that is still possible is not worth breaking your body over.
06 Sep
There is no rush but I'm quite an impatient person :P if the gym weren't closed on Sunday, I'd probably be working out 7 days a week! But I suppose after more than 7 months of 6 days a week workouts, my body is finally telling me to slow down a bit.
Image_thumb
66 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 6:56pm
via Android

Great points by Walker and know john. Do you know how many sets you are doing for a given muscle group on a workout. Depending on your rep range I wouldn't go above 16 sets, it's just not beneficial,  the more you work a muscle group on a session does not equate to gains there will be a limit. With experience you will learn to listen to your body, when it needs rest. Look up periodization. If your constantly training with big weights and low sets you must have a detaining period. My body gains so much from having a whole week off.

Icon_missing_thumb
55 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 7:37pm
via iOS
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I needed some convincing to take a few days off :P Here's what chest day is like
1. 10 minutes of cycling
2. Smith bench press (neck) 4x12
3. Smith bench press (chest) 4x12
4. Smith bench press (incline) 4x12
5. Smith bench press (decline) 4x12
6. Butterfly 4x15
7. Plate loaded chest press (overhand grip) 4x14
8. Plate loaded chest press (neutral grip) 4x14
9. Pull over head machine 4x14
10. Bodyweight leg raise 4x20
11. Bodyweight Sit-up 4x20
12. Dummbbell side bend 4x35
06 Sep
It's usually 10-12 exercises each day for 6 days a week.
06 Sep
That would be too much for me, I would have to dramatically reduce my weights by the time I get to the decline to perform the sets and therefore unable to complete in the same percentage rep max as the others.3/4 sets are enough for gains on the chest for me, But this is for me
06 Sep
Getting scientific maybe your answer. Looking at tonnages, knowing what your 1rep max is etc
06 Sep
So should I cut down on the number of exercises I do for a part each day or the sets in each exercise? I didn't really try to figure out the max weight for 1 rep. Btw should I cut down to 5 or 4 days per week? Currently it's 6 days a week.
06 Sep
To be honest, I would never devote I session to biceps or triceps, I don't find it efficient. They are small muscle groups and therefore don't require 1-2 hours spent solely on them. The same goes for the calf (but that muscle is a different story).
Icon_missing_thumb
55 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 8:16pm
via iOS
Btw since I won't be going to the gym tomorrow since I have to "rest", can I at least do some cardio or something or can I do nothing at all on these rest days?
06 Sep
I use my days off from weights as pure cardio days, giving a clear separation
06 Sep
Oveertraining can cause wound, you will feel exhausted but with difficulty to sleep For me your training is too much because you don't let your body rest
Image_thumb
397 Posts
Sep 6, 2013 9:46pm
via iOS
Dude doing like 30 sets in on dat for chest wtf , spread that .... Out
Icon_missing_thumb
55 Posts
Sep 7, 2013 7:06am
via iOS
Alrighty then. How about I change my routine to something like this?
Monday - chest and triceps
Tuesday - legs and core
Wednesday - cardio
Thursday - back and biceps
Friday - shoulders

This seem okay or should I change something?
07 Sep
You might want to have days off that are not consecutive, although I am not an expert. I think the frequency of days off is more important than the number of days off. For days off, I would just do some "boring" cardio, like jogging or biking, and as for workouts, I would stick with relaxing stuff, like stretching and yoga. I think the key is not to put any strain on muscles on your days off.
07 Sep
Then how about I take Wednesday (just cardio) Friday and Sunday off and switch shoulders to saturday?
07 Sep
That is much better, having a break on the third day will do wonders. I have done a similar schedule. Just make sure you do your chest exercises before you move onto your triceps
07 Sep
Yup, that is the plan. Doing chest before triceps and also i'm restricting to 4 to 5 exercises per body part per day. I wish I took rest days more seriously. Having been working out for 6 days/week for 7 months, all these injuries are my body's plea for mercy :P
Image_thumb
28 Posts
Sep 7, 2013 3:35pm
via iOS
Always good to have one day of rest to let your muscles recover.  Keep up the good work and continue to challenge your body!
Image_thumb
274 Posts
Sep 7, 2013 4:31pm
via Android

The harder you train, the more time you need your body to recover. I have been taught by many trainers that after 1 hour of resistance training, your testosterone levels drop, as do your results. I keep all of my workouts to one hour maximum. I think your split routine is fine, but maybe the cause of pain is improper form. Make sure you are doing exercises correctly, with the proper range of motion in proper form.

Icon_missing_thumb
9 Posts
Sep 7, 2013 4:54pm
via Android

Love your body

Image_thumb
94 Posts
Sep 10, 2013 10:37am
via Android

Now , i think u have taken rest .
What happen

10 Sep
All good now (: the weird feeling in my right knee is gone so I don't walk like a retard anymore and feeling pretty good overall after just 3 days of complete rest.
Image_thumb
1023 Posts
Sep 10, 2013 11:18am
via Android

Lol 4 smith benchpresses? If i were you i would read a little bout some good split schemes and the reasons behind them.

10 Sep
Could you link me to some material I could read? (:
10 Sep
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak4.htm http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/best_intermediate_training_split.htm http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw94.htm These 3 articles give alrdy a great deal of information. Havent read them all but skipped trough and they are solid!
Image_thumb
15 Posts
Sep 10, 2013 11:46am
via Android

For complete recovery you need to have proper intake of vitamins and protein for body repair work!!

10 Sep
Yup. That's what I did for 3 days. Ate and slept :P
Image_thumb
72 Posts
Sep 11, 2013 6:36pm
via Android

I typically use Thursday and Sunday as my days to back off of intense training. These 2 days, I focus on flexibility or using my foam roller and massage my muscles. I don't do total days off, but the body needs to idle down from time to time. If you injured yourself, you would nullify the gains that you have put in so much time to build. Stay healthy

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Sep 11, 2013 8:14pm
via Android

I would give all the info your doctor and try to add more rest/yoga. Keep strong

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51