How do other moms make time for working out?

21 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 12, 2013 10:30pm
via Android

I am a mom and I have 2 awesome boys. But having my children has really transformed my body in a negative way. Not only my body but my mind as well. Its hard for me to stay motivated to workout when im already so tired from my 7 mnth old and my 3 yr old. So my question is, how do you other moms find time between family and career to workout and stay motivated?

13 Sep
Girl iknow it is hard 2 get your work out done. When you have kids. I have 2 boys . 11 nd a 9 yrl.i would suggest u 2 take your kids 4 a ride outside in a stroler.nd u can jog. While they have a blast. Nd u sweated out while runing with them in the stroler.just prepare some healthy snacks, drinks 2 hidrate.youl just kill 2 birds at a time
13 Sep
No I'm not a mom but I am a single dad with kids and its hard, but 1 of the things that I do is I can turn just about anything that I do into a workout into some type of physical activity even when having a chance to sit down for a minute or anything else you can do crunches while sitting, calf raises when walking, curls or anything is better than nothing, just be creative!
13 Sep
Hi! My kids are 20 months and 4 years old. I usually get my workout in at night, when my kids are in bed. During the day, I try to get us out for walks or go for a bike ride with them in the bike trailer.
15 Sep
I'm a dad but i workout whenever my 1yr old take her afternoon nap which sucks because i like to workout before i eat annd I'm hungry before i have time to workout
Image_thumb
104 Posts
Sep 12, 2013 10:52pm
via Android

Id say it is hard with those to ages. I say do what you can when you can. Everything you do even the little workouts gets you a closer to being hotter than you already look.as time goes by itll get easier and you will already have the mindset to get at it.

12 Sep
Well thanks matt! :)
12 Sep
You're welcome, just keep at it keep positive. Itll get easier. Soon enough youll begin to look like you wanting to.
Image_thumb
25 Posts
Sep 12, 2013 11:00pm
via iOS
My kids are 2 & 3 1/2. I put a movie on in my sons room and basically he keeps her distracted, or they get bored and watch me exercise. But 7 months is too small to leave in the other room. Haha. Maybe when the baby naps, or you could try baby & me workouts.
12 Sep
Yea I tried baby and me workouts and he'll be okay with it for a few mins but then he wants to go do his own thing. haha and as far as my 3 yr old sometimes he will actually try and workout with me but he ends up just getting in my way. So ive tried that but my kids are just so curious and dont want to miss out on anything idk if that would work haha :)
Image_thumb
1 Post
Sep 12, 2013 11:01pm
via Android

I don't think you need any exercise lady.. You already look hot

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 12, 2013 11:01pm
via Android

Im a,14 year old kid and my mom does nothing she not fat but not fit

12 Sep
Well thats not healthy lol ;)
Image_thumb
7 Posts
Sep 12, 2013 11:09pm
via Android

I have a two and seven year old...sometimes, my hus goes to school at night so I find time to workout while the kiddies are eating dinner...I can get a good 30mins in, its working so far. They understand workout time is mommy's personal time...

Icon_missing_thumb
172 Posts
Sep 12, 2013 11:12pm
via Android

I haven't been exercising a lot right now because I am still bfeeding my 4.5 month old and too much exercise hits that.

Normally I would just squeeze it in where I can. If my older two (4 & 3) are quiet and playing and my youngest is napping I'll hop on my bike, or do a quick 5 minute skimble workout. OR some days I'll make a mini challenge for myself to complete a certain amount of squats or pushups, etc. And every time I have a few minutes I'll squeeze them in- seems like nothing but you feel it the next day. Other times I include the kids...I'll make up a workout and they'll do it with my while my youngest naps. I'm thinking of waking up a few minutes earlier each morning and squeezing in some then as well. Being a mom you have to be flexible... It'll all workout, even the smallest workout is better than nothing.

***Lost 89 lbs last year in 7 months "squeezing in workouts" while having a 2 & 3 yr old at home.

***And now this year I've lost 56 lbs (weight I gained during the pregnancy) in 4.5 months with a 4 yr old, 3 yr old and 4.5 month old little ones....things are busy but we make it work! 14 more lbs until I am at goal weight!

Image_thumb
4 Posts
Sep 13, 2013 3:40am
via iOS
I have four Children under 7, two still breastfeed, as long as you are eating healthy and drinking plenty of water working out should not hurt your supply.
I get the kids involed in my work out and put the youngest on my back in the ergo. Got to do what you gotta do! 
13 Sep
I workout and play with my son :-) he thinks its funny when I do sit ups and stuff. Or when hes asleep
13 Sep
Kids make great weights lol my 4 year old son was just cheering me on, come on mum you can do it. Bless him. It teaches them them to stay for too, not for now but for the future :)
13 Sep
Mine LOVE to workout with me! I use my ergo as well to help me workout! *** Ive always had problems with my supply EVERY time even without workin out....so "for me" it DOES hit my supply. So I am just mindful of that so I dont overdo it.
Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Sep 13, 2013 6:28am
via Android

We've got a bun in the oven so I'm reading these posts to prepare for the future!! :-D

It must be pretty fun to turn the whole thing into a game for the kids. Tell them that you're all gonna play "gym". I'd get the smallest kid on my back for press ups, a heavier one on my back for squats, and on other exercises I'd get them to cheer daddy on so he doesn't give up!  It also instills into children that exercise is a good thing.

Best of luck Briteny. I hope you work something out :)

260872_1461442907_286894367_n_thumb
51 Posts
Sep 13, 2013 11:03am
via iOS
I work a full time job (45-50 hrs/week), am enrolled in 2 college courses, volunteer at my church, and have a 3 yr old daughter. Im also training for a 5K adventure run. During the work week, I get up 30-60 minutes earlier than normal to get an AM workout in (usually cardio). If you have a good support group (I.e. family member or significant other) that can watch your little ones in the evening, you can get in a short workout as well. You can burn just as many calories in 20 minutes of a HIIT workout (I love Tabata for this) as you can a moderate 1 hr run on a treadmill. Even if you can only fit in 10-15min a day of intense workout, you'll be doing yourself a favor and heading toward the fitness goals you want! :) you can do it!

Tip: I gained 40lbs after I got married, and another 40 when I got pregnant. It has been hard getting motivated and staying motivated. When I find myself struggling through a workout, I imagine how I looked when I got married and I focus on that image. It often makes me push harder! Note: I am 45lbs down today than when I was pregnant. My goal is to lose at least 20 more. :)
Image_thumb
47 Posts
Sep 13, 2013 4:21pm
via Android

Do what you can. Don't feel bad. It is hard if it doesn't happen one day, you have tomorrow.  It gets easier but know enjoy them. Chase them around and fit intense workouts anywhere inbetween it can be done. By the way we r all here for support. You can do it.

Icon_missing_thumb
50 Posts
Sep 13, 2013 4:35pm
via iOS
Not a mom, but a dad of two (4 and 2). Defiantly a hard thing to pull off. Luckily I have an hour lunch break at work. I bring a small meal and a change of clothes so I can eat fast and go for a nice jog. Other then that I might do some high energy exercises on the weekend during nap time, and some low impact routines during the week after supper. I try to incorporate the kids with this, they get a laugh out of it. My 4 year old mirrors my exercises and I use my 2 year old as extra weight for curls, squats and crunches. She's a fit of giggles by the time we're done!
13909201_10157251040055057_4630673276867464444_o_thumb
16 Posts
Sep 13, 2013 4:39pm

I have two... The eldest is in school now so it's easier to manage. I do mine bright and early and my youngest actually does them along beside me (not really well but she tries to follow). Walk EVERYWHERE you physically can.... And I know how hard that can be on a 'fit' day, but strap them into a stroller and get moving. ;)
I also work out at like 6:30am some mornings, or even 9pm at night. As long as  I get it in somewhere I feel I've achomplished something. Also if you sneak in some squats, lunges, wall sits, sit ups here and there for only a few minutes at a time you're doing something... Which is more than nothing.

I was raised with the mindset that if you end the day with only a penny more than you started you gained something. I carry that into working out. If I do at least one, or a handful of things, I've accomplished something. Be it a few minutes of squats, or an hour workout, I did SOMETHING to better myself and that's all that matters.

Hope that helps!

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Sep 13, 2013 4:53pm
via Android

Best thing is to incorporate the kids too.  I would chase my kids around or dance all silly and crazy with them for cardio.  They loved it.  Then I would get creative and use them as my weights.   Picking up toys was always with a squat or a lung.  Warning you can't do sit-ups with them around or they will try to sit all over you or at least my kids did.  So for activities they the can't help with I would do quickly before I jumped in the shower.  I also always play good music that motivates me. So at any moment I might break into a dance.

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 16, 2013 12:13am
via Android

Write the first thing she does is clean and then lays down

Image_thumb
34 Posts
Sep 16, 2013 7:14am
via Android

I know what you mean I feel like I will never be the same,I have a 7 week old and 5 year old, I just do it at random moments I find, I also let my oldest get involved with it too, any little thing you do is better than nothing.

Image_thumb
33 Posts
Sep 16, 2013 7:55pm
via Android

Hey ther
I totally get it its tough to make time but even it you about 15 mins every morning before u start ur day it is something n better than nothing. I even try taking the boys to the park and just run around with them any exercise u can get will work. And be a good example for ur boyz

275826_1263062688_1944205958_n_thumb
5 Posts
Sep 17, 2013 1:10am
via Android

Hi, I am a Mum of 8 and i fully understand trying to get motivated but you can do it. My youngest boys are  2 and 4 yrs and I have made a "circuit" ofy house. I walk 4 kilometers a day in two sessions and i don't leave mu house or own a Treadmill. The little ones follow me as we play follow the leader. 2 Laps of my circuit 10 squats, 2 laps, 10 pushups,.2 laps, 10 star jumps, 2 laps, 10 lunges and repeat all again. I continue doing this till we have done 2.kilometers per session twice a day. The kids love it as we put music on and just have fun.  You can do this Hun just find something that works for you and hit it, as motivation i use my kids.... i want to be here when my kids grow up and as I have already had 5 strokes, taking care of myself is the only way I can do that.  Find your key to living and you'll find your motivation, you can do it :-)

28 Oct
I've done this before too... They chase me, and we "freeze" and do different body weight exercises while counting. It works!
Image_thumb
10 Posts
Sep 17, 2013 1:30am
via Android

Well I wait till both of my children are sleeping and usually start working out at 9:30pm. I must admit after working full time and having to take care of my children, I be exhausted! But your only tired when you keep telling yourself your tired. So start small and when your body begins getting use to the workout then you can expand it.

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Sep 18, 2013 2:11am
via iOS
My children are older, and at the time they were young
I didn't go to the gym I kept busy enuf :) but now I am at a gym 
and think its very cool they offer family memberships, as well
as has a child care as you work out. That is just a cool way
to stay fit, and enjoy a time out from kids, life, life :) lol
Image_thumb
102 Posts
Sep 18, 2013 2:28am
via Android

I wake up a little earlier to get a few minutes in and am lucky to have a daughter who works out so we do together sometimes. After a long, stressful day, my body tends to be worked up and exercising can help me sleep sometimes. Having these apps help alot because if I get a free fee minutes I make myself do something. It takes will sometimes...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51