Feeling discouraged :(

14 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 4:56am
via Android

A lot of these workouts seem to have crunches, or something similar where you lie on your back, but every time I do those, my lower back throbs & I get back spasms the rest of the night/day... How am I supposed to do workouts that hurt me so bad?!?!

02 Oct
Dont be discourged, never be discouraged. You got this!
Image_thumb
347 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 7:40am
via iOS
If u want to work ur abs but it hurts your back,just do ab workouts in standing stance..like jumps,high knees,alternate arms high knees..There so many..search for it on you tube..n never get discouraged..u can do it
02 Oct
I totally agree with Matt. There is no one way to do crunches. Standing (like he suggests) accomplishes the same results. Don't get discouraged. It's the start of something new and you're eventually going to be able to do them effortlessly once you're accustomed to doing them. Always warm up and stretch before exercises. Best of luck!
Image_thumb
1 Post
Oct 2, 2013 7:48am
via Android

I love fitness

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 8:53am
via Android

Switch the lying down exercises for ones you can do - you can do it. Go out and smash it! 

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 9:33am
via Android

You have to stretch out. After stretching out, start with a few sets of back extensions. Body weight only, when you start any form of physical fitness. Stretching out first for about 10

minutes and then after you are done working out.

Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 11:29am

You need to buy a fold up exercise matt to protect your back otherwise you'll get a sore back, may even blisters from doing abs work on hard floor or carpet. (As I sadly discovered.. ouch!)

This is the kind of thing I mean >

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/accessories/york__ultimate_folding_exercise_mat/13154_p.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaign=Froogle&mkwid=2XpCCHwK_d{device}&pcrid=29553392225&gclid=CK-E19KF-LkCFbMftAodDwoAdg

Image_thumb
104 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 1:01pm
via Android

Mine does the same from time to time. I stand and do standing abs or ive found putting a small pillow under my butt helps.

Image_thumb
122 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 1:06pm
via Android

Can u change ur font colorI can not read it

Image_thumb
158 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 1:16pm
via Android

You need to do planks. It's a static push-up position which is great for your whole upper body. It helps strengthen your core. Check it out :)

Image_thumb
129 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 1:46pm
via Android

Everybody has great ideas which are really helpful.    I would also like to suggest doing squats, which can help you build strength on your lower back as well. 

Image_thumb
5 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 2:00pm
via Android

Thank you everybody :) great tips & support!

Image_thumb
38 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 4:43pm
via Android

Hey. My back has always done the same thing. The exercises I found worked best, for my back and abs at the same time, were hanging exercises. They help stretch your back while working your core and it strengthens both simulatiously to work together. It's golden!

02 Oct
One good tip is in addition to stretching before and after is to use a foam roller and roll your back body over it about 7 to 10 times. It helps loosen up any tightness in your muscles. Do less if its a little intense for you. You can also roll your gluetes and legs on it. All those muscles support each other. Its cool you asked for help instead of giving up. I get discouraged sometime, but it always feels better to keep on it. Most times you can find a way to work around difficult times. Don't forget...
Image_thumb
5 Posts
Oct 2, 2013 7:20pm
via Android

Thank you so much, everybody! :) I feel much better & more confident now!

Image_thumb
953 Posts
Oct 3, 2013 2:03am
via Android

there are many ab exercises which are known for causing back problems but ppl just continue to do them.

Planks are safe, bicycle crunches are one you should try and see how you feel.

You can google different search terms and read up on it. "situp alternatives" "core exercises hurt back" "exercise abs back pain" and stuff like that. There are many articles about back pain and back-friendly core exercises.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51