Advice on weights

6 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
265 Posts
Oct 28, 2013 12:39am
via Android

Background: So I'm a total newb with weights though not with working out. I'm aiming to tone up and do not want to bulk. I'm 163 cm, 55 kg, 21 yrs.

I more or less randomly started lifting a 30 kg bar, maxing out at 5 reps then benchpressed it, with a max of 10 reps. Now I'm addicted to lifting.

So my question is: am I better off reducing the weight to 20 kg and getting more reps or sticking with the 30 kg and slowly building up more reps?

28 Oct
Keep with the same bar and push yourself to add more reps or sets
28 Oct
Ok, thanks!
28 Oct
我前女友她想做消防員 so 我和他 join 了gym club at 多倫多 i was in college n she was in 成人學校讀中學 joined the gym she wanted personal trainer every friday so i went with her for one hour all she do 15 reps 3 sets
28 Oct
Ok, thanks Paul!
28 Oct
無問題:)
Image_thumb
93 Posts
Oct 28, 2013 3:58am
via iOS
Do both... couple of sets with lighter ones (10 reps or so each), then a couple with heavier ones (1-5 reps). I had the same question, so figured I'd try both! ;)
28 Oct
Sure, thanks!
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Oct 28, 2013 10:49am
via Android

Many women worry about "bulking up" when they lift weights but you shouldn't worry about that. Just push yourself. You'll get stronger and look great.

To bulk up, a woman really has to embark on a scientifically engineered program which pushes the boundaries of nature. At the stage you're at, just don't worry. Its nothing that happens overnight, and especially without you wanting it & studying how to make it happen.

28 Oct
Hahaha. I know bulking up is very unlikely. Just thought that stating a clear aim was necessary - writing up my proposal has messed with my mindset, maybe.
29 Oct
Sorry if I tell what you already know. You seem pretty on top of things... My knowledge is quite basic really but so many people don't know the basics so I just try to spread it around.
29 Oct
No need to apologize, I appreciate your input!
Image_thumb
347 Posts
Oct 28, 2013 11:09am
via iOS
If u dnt want to bulk up,focus on reps..do more by descending order,12-5 for example ..then when u feel your are getting used to it,u can add small weights,by 1,2.5 or 5 kg..in order to continue get the results,gud luck
28 Oct
Sounds good, thanks!
Image_thumb
83 Posts
Oct 28, 2013 2:49pm
via Android

Well more weights bigger size, more reps muscle endurance which is lean muscle. So if you are looking to not bulk up but tone I would lift lighter weights more reps.

28 Oct
Ok, thanks.
Image_thumb
1022 Posts
Oct 28, 2013 3:16pm
via Android

If i were you i would stick to a reprange of 8-12 on most of the exercises. The only ones you can/should also go in the lower reps are the compound lifts.

You say you dont want to bulk up but tone up. Since toning doesnt exist. You want lower bodyfat orwhat?

28 Oct
Umm you might want to research about toning... to tone up or tighten muscles you need to lengthen the muscle through strecthing and creating lean muscle strength. But I am not a doctor. So I'm probably wrong lol
28 Oct
That's what I thought too, Michael.
30 Oct
Lol tighten up muscles as in more density by stretching them? Thats so contradicting hehe. If you want to 'tone' there are 2 things you can do. The first one is to increase your muscle mass. The second thing is lower your bodyfat. Toning implies you do both with 1 thing/exercise/workout. Which is not really possible because of how the bodyworks. This being said its not impossible to build muscle while lowering your bodyfat. But this isnt easy and takes time. This is done by heavyweightlifting and eating in he right way. So you trick your body into still using...

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51