Which one is correct?!

3 posts | Original | Recent
4 Posts
Dec 16, 2013 3:45pm
via iOS
When we do scott with smith machine which one is correct?
1: put some thing like sinker under the heel to protect knees
2: or put some thing under the Fingers and toes to protect knees
3: none of them
16 Dec
A lot of it depends one how well you can perform the squat. If you lack movement in your ankle or flexibility in your hamstrings placing something under the heel can allow for a better squat. You want to sit back and keep your knees behind your toes, and if you feel placing something on the toes will help then do it, but I would look at fixing any imbalances that are preventing you from performing the squat properly.
16 Dec
Ya you are right, thank you
16 Dec
It depends! In university we ve learn that some people in life have a femur that is so long that is impossible for them to keep knees behind toes and keep their balance! And at the end more then 60% of the balance is in the front of your feet not in the heel! So it better to put something under the heel depending on the flexibility of your ankle and if you can do you squats with shoes you will see some differences! See ya
16 Dec
*without shoes (sorry)
17 Dec
I've not met any tht had ths problem i guessing its rather rare and th problem is probably trying to go heavier thn can lift properly and muscles r not strong enough to perform correctly such as a problem i had with lunges witch i thought was due to bad knees but i was wrong jus i wasn't strong enough to perform them correctly
482 Posts
Dec 17, 2013 12:22am
via Android

# 3 To protect knees in all honesty is to never do sqauts..but correct form u shud never place anything underneath anthing...th bar should b behind restin on ur shoulders arms behind bar and head in front knees should b behind toes during performance feet flat on ground placing ur weight on th back of ur heels controversial about how far is safe or how deep is safe so I won't their but for th best safety precautions if doing sqauts perform correctly listen to ur body and invest in some knee wraps..their r variations of sqauts where th form changes such as front loaded sqauts these tho shud never b attempted by a beginner

38 Posts
Dec 18, 2013 2:22pm

This post is realy original and i think it will help some people!

Fry AC, Smith JC and Schilling BK do some research on:
"Effect of knee position on hip and knee torques during the barbell squat."

That's the results:

Some recommendations suggest keeping the shank as vertical as possible during the barbell squat, thus keeping the knees from moving past the toes. This study examined joint kinetics occurring when forward displacement of the knees is restricted vs. when such movement is not restricted. Seven weight-trained men (mean +/- SD; age = 27.9 +/- 5.2 years) were videotaped while performing 2 variations of parallel barbell squats (barbell load = body weight). Either the knees were permitted to move anteriorly past the toes (unrestricted) or a wooden barrier prevented the knees from moving anteriorly past the toes (restricted).

Differences resulted between static knee and hip torques for both types of squat as well as when both squat variations were compared with each other (p < 0.05). For the unrestricted squat, knee torque (N.m; mean +/- SD) = 150.1 +/- 50.8 and hip torque = 28.2 +/- 65.0.

For the restricted squat, knee torque = 117.3 +/- 34.2 (a bit less than unrestricted squat but not that much) and hip torque = 302.7 +/- 71.2. (but for hip torque here you see the difference +302.7 vs 28.2) Restricted squats also produced more anterior lean of the trunk and shank and a greater internal angle at the knees and ankles. The squat technique used can affect the distribution of forces between the knees and hips and on the kinematic properties of the exercise.

PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS: Although restricting forward movement of the knees may minimize stress on the knees, it is likely that forces are inappropriately transferred to the hips and low-back region. Thus, appropriate joint loading during this exercise may require the knees to move slightly past the toes.

Hope it will help people to chose if it's better to add only (150.1-117.3) 32.8 on a knee torque or to add (302.7-28.2) 247.5 on hip and lower back torque!

Up to you, but i've chosen!!

See ya

18 Dec
Thank u so much thomas :)
18 Dec
You re welcome H B ;-)

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51