Muscle weigh more than fat?

10 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jan 11, 2014 11:01am
via Android

I've always heard that muscle does weigh more than fat, but recently read somewhere that its not correct and it actually weighes the same as fat, anyone know what is correct? Thanksx

11 Jan
Google?
11 Jan
A pound of anything vs a pound of something else will equal the same. But I think what you are looking at is related to size and density. If you are to cut a piece of fat into a brick and then do the same to muscle the muscle will weigh more. Although they are the same size(height, width and length) muscle is much more dense and compact and there for weigh more. Which is why if you add muscle and lose fat you can actually weigh the same or weigh more, but you close will be looser because the...
11 Jan
Ok ...so ur telling its not bout poundage or weight...yet if I were to disect fat and muscle thn I would find out tht muscle weighs more...if its not in poundage or kiliograms thn how exactly is it being weighed??
11 Jan
Hannah, I'm guessing that comment is directed at my comment. What I an saying is that if you have a pound of fat and a pound of muscle, they would each be a pound but the size or total amount of muscle would be less in area(height length and width). Much in the same way if you have a block of fat that is 1 x 1 x 1 ( l x w x h) and a block of muscle 1 x 1 x 1 the are the same size but the muscle will weigh more due to its increase...
11 Jan
Yes it was :-) the reason being is because with muscle being much more dense I need less to make exactly 5 pounds and I would need more fat to make exactly 5 pounds due to their chemical make up..ths is y a 170lb women bodybuilder looks so lean compared to a overweight women of th same weight height and stature ..and since we do not slice ourselves and mold our fat and muscle into bricks but instead get on a scale which means five pounds of muscle and 5 pounds of fat is eqaul because we r measuring exactly...
Image_thumb
731 Posts
Jan 11, 2014 12:06pm
via iOS
You can make a simple experiment at home to test it yourself

You Will need
2 plates
1 pound of lean chicken breast
1 pound if solid butter

Put the chicken om one plate and the butter on the other plate. You Will see it's pritty much the same size. 

However dry muscle without water in it are more Compact Then fat, but in your body your muscle fibers Will allways be filled with water so it's pritty much the same :)
Image_thumb
482 Posts
Jan 11, 2014 1:17pm
via Android

No its a complete myth its physics....muscle is dense th molcules are compacted closer together as well as fat is far less dense...take a 10 pounds of rocks and 10 lbs of feathers rocks n one bucket and feathers n anther...the 10lbs of rocks seems heavier thn th 10 pounds of feathers ...but does the rocks weigh more thn th feathers??? No 10lbs is still 10lbs they weigh exactly the same...rocks may seem heavier thn th feathers as well as muscle may seem heavier thn fat but a pound is still a pound...

Image_thumb
274 Posts
Jan 11, 2014 3:59pm
via Android

You guys are measuring both in lbs. Of course 1lb of anything will weigh the same as 1lb of anything else. It's 1lb. But if you take a measurement, such as 1 cup of fat and 1 cup of muscle, which would weigh more?

11 Jan
Go back to my experiment with chicken and butter and take a look on what takes up the most space :)
11 Jan
Lol I'll take your word on it man. Don't really feel like handling raw chicken and butter this morning
11 Jan
I've looked it up thts how come I say its a myth ... if I were to measure 1 pound of fat to a million with one pound to a million of muscles they still will weigh the same...but muscle will fill heavier...it doesn't matter if muscle feels heavier if a person weighs 170lbs and they lose 10lb of fat and add 10lbs of muscle thn they still weigh 170lbs...but wat happens is tht 170lb person loses 10lbs of fat and gains 12 pounds of muscle so they now weigh 172lbs so now they conclude muscle weighs more thn fat...
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Jan 11, 2014 8:29pm
via Android

Thanks yeah that helps, I've been working out a lot lately and  the scales have hardly moved, and I've had a lot of people say, oh you've probably built muscle, I'm hoping they are right but then I think are they just saying that to make me feel better?

11 Jan
Yes :-) probably so..scales are a horrible way to track progress to many fluctuations .. try measuring with a measuring tape instead ...
11 Jan
Jus keep doing what ur doing ....ur doing good and ur hard work will pay off
11 Jan
Meassure ur stomach, arms,legss. If you are losing fat these will decrease. Even when you build muscle
12 Jan
Yeah I'll dig out the measuring tape, ta guys xx
Image_thumb
954 Posts
Jan 12, 2014 9:25am
via Android

Which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?

12 Jan
They weigh th same... it just takes more feathers to make a ton ths is its volume ...mass has to do with th matter of th object but mass is greater for bricks thn feathers but mass and weight are not th same thing so they weigh th same because a ton of feathers is still just one ton and a ton of bricks is still just one ton...thts all tht matters whn u put it on th scale
Icon_missing_thumb
122 Posts
Jan 12, 2014 7:48pm
via Android

1 lb of muscle is the same weight as 1 lb of fat lol. The only difference is the SIZE. 1 lb of fat has a much larger mass than 1 lb of muscle. So when people say muscle weighs less than fat it sounds a bit nonsensical ha

Image_thumb
482 Posts
Jan 12, 2014 8:29pm
via Android

Does a 1/2 a pound equal 1 pound is 5oz eqaul to 12oz does 1+2=4??? A feather has different chemical structure ...thn a rock 1 feather and 1 rock will not weigh th same but they will also not b th same measurement...so whn they r weighed individually they will not weigh th same but to make and equal measurement u must add more feathers ths is volume ..on a body we measure by scales if I'm replacing 10 pounds of muscle with 10 pounds of fat they are equal it just takes more fat or volume to equal muscle or mass... 10 pounds is 10 pounds is 10 pounds.

12 Jan
You're making physics sound complicated when it's actually very simple. Stop trying too over complicate the matter when it is very simple. Pound for pound things weigh the same, but measure and weigh things that are off equal size and they weigh the same.
Image_thumb
482 Posts
Jan 12, 2014 8:46pm
via Android

To me it is simple and very very very very basic seeing it was 9th grade science over 18 years ago and is probably 6th Grade science today...if its to complicated to u thts ur problem...and since ur more interseted n arguing and before ur emotions explode and start calling me stupid or ths or tht or accuse me of saying ur ths or doing tht...Ill just end ths conversation and tell u hav a good day sir.

12 Jan
I'm guessing judging by your lack of maturity that you're 12?
Image_thumb
482 Posts
Jan 12, 2014 9:53pm
via Android

No I'm not 12 I'm autistic...but I'm donr  talking bout th subject matter but how is me not agreeing with u immature? Sounds like a nice political way of calling me stupid... lol.. hav a nice day

12 Jan
(Typo) done

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51