Planks

11 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
93 Posts
Jan 13, 2014 9:31pm
via Android

I love do planks but im wondering how effective they still are as it doesnt hurt anymore? I can hold plank up to 3 minutes only hurts a little..any thoughts/ suggestions?

Icon_missing_thumb
40 Posts
Jan 13, 2014 9:48pm
via Android

Well i recently started the working out thing and let me tell you i hate planjs expecially the elbow plank it's sooo hard to do but i hope when i will get used to it, it gets eazier  

13 Jan
Good for you for working out it feels great ( well sumtimes hurts lol) but believe me planks do get much easier! I started doing them about a year ago and it took time but u get a stronger core and toned tummy so dont give up:) the pain and hard work pay off:)
1076743_100000114904305_442849743_n_thumb
1 Post
Jan 13, 2014 10:05pm
via Android

Increase plank hold from 3 minutes to 6 minutes or   whatever amount of that challenges your body.

13 Jan
My arms will probably drop after 5 mins lol but ill give it a try thanks for the suggestion :)
Image_thumb
28 Posts
Jan 13, 2014 10:46pm
via Android

After a period of time your body gets use to  some exercises, even more if you do them frecuently, so change the exercise and keep alternating them (I really don't know if this is your case I'm telling you this for information purposes only), so I'm not telling you to stop doing planks, just variate the exercises so your body doesn' t get used to them

13 Jan
Yeah i do them often at least 4x a week ill try switching it up more give my body a better challenge :) thanks for the tips:)
13 Jan
Glad to help :)
Image_thumb
139 Posts
Jan 13, 2014 10:47pm
via Android

Try going from high plank to low plank(forearm) and pushing back to high plank.  You can also have someone place a weight on your back as you do the plank(or have weights in a back pack or my favorite hold the plank while pulsing your pelvis up(think hip thrust)

13 Jan
Thanks for the suggestions ill def give those a try:D
Image_thumb
226 Posts
Jan 14, 2014 12:09am
via iOS
Have you tried doing planks on a stability ball? I really love planking, too, but after 2 minutes I start to get bored. Doing them on a stability ball really increases the intensity, and it is good for your whole core. You can put your forearms, palms, or feet on the stability ball. Also, make sure that your form is good. 

Hope this helps, and God bless! 
14 Jan
K thanks so much :)
Image_thumb
481 Posts
Jan 14, 2014 12:14am
via Android

I still haven't found any scientific proof tht planks do what claimed I believe tht th cores contraction during a plank is isometric and I dnt hav to b n plank position to create th same isometric movement nor to have to b n plank position to create th same contraction... as far as holding my bodyweight n plank position I thnk is concentric  tho it also cud also cud b isometric as well but I believe its due to the fact tht its an internal force (th muscle fiber contraction)against an external force ( th resistance of our body weight and gravity against th floor ) which I can find better ways to get th same results...but I also thnk they are boring but if u lov them do thm..maybe get creative how bout doing planks on to weight benches and adding weight with th same equipment thts used n adding resistance to dips and pullups?? Tho it cud b risky I thnk

14 Jan
Thnx very informative :D
Image_thumb
72 Posts
Jan 15, 2014 8:11am
via iOS
Congratulations! This is what I call "plank graduation" after you can do it for a certain amount of time it really isn't an effective use of your time. Try variations. 
Hands to elbow planks 
Side planks 
Opposite arm and leg of of the ground planks
Another. Shift your body back away from your elbows so that your shoulders are no longer over your elbows. 
If none of those help. Try the p90x ab ripper workout on here or a ab crunching machine that let's you extend further back than a floor would allow you. 

Happy planking!
16 Jan
Hey thanks for the advice:) i actually did the p90x ab ripper today it was tough but fun! I like new challenges and happy planking! :)
Image_thumb
1655 Posts
Jan 16, 2014 9:24pm
via iOS
I agree with steph, once I could hold a 5 min plank comfortably I graduated to much tougher versions. The wall plank is one of the toughest - lift your feet off the ground and place them against the wall so your entire body is lifted off, and horizontal to the ground. Now perform spider-man planks for as long as you can. To make it more fun you can also mix wall walks into this where you walk backwards up the wall into a handstand position and then walk back down into the elevated plank position.. Looks crazy sick at the gym !!
16 Jan
Cool thanks:) I have done the wall plank a few times its tough I should start doing it again :)
Image_thumb
953 Posts
Jan 17, 2014 12:01pm
via Android

I read an article at livestrong.com recently about "the most overrated exercises" and planks was one of em. The article recommended, once you can do a static plank for over thirty seconds, to incorporate dynamic plank moves which challenge the core in a dynamic way. Pushups, leg raises, bird dog planks, spidermans, changing side planks, and other stuff.

18 Jan
Interesting thanks for the info :)
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
Jan 17, 2014 3:41pm
via Android

Try switching from elbow plank to side plank on each side with hip pulse ups. Also, superman and Spiderman exercises are great for the abs. Look them up

18 Jan
Thanks! My weakness is I hate push ups.. I need to start doing them more! I am only able to do about 10 lol

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51