Drinking while exercising?

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
35 Posts
Feb 1, 2014 3:26pm
via Android

How do you do it? I hear you should stay hydrated during a workout. I have tried, but I get such a bad cramp, I can't even drink much prior to a workout or I feel like I could die. Is there some kind of tolerance that needs to be built? Or something wrong with me? Tips?

01 Feb
I have that problem as well I discovered that if I drank an hour before and used a water bottle with a straw for a few sips during I stopped having it happen
Image_thumb
255 Posts
Feb 1, 2014 4:52pm
via Android

You have to drink before and after
But during the workout you will have to drink not much
What happens to you is normal.

01 Feb
Thank you!! I do drink lots before, usually 30 mins or so, and then I drink like a lost camel when Im done. I just head read a few places to drink during, and that just sounds impossible.... lol
01 Feb
If I drink during, I just take a few sips. I read somewhere to drink two hours before! I think its another case of finding what's right for you.
Image_thumb
274 Posts
Feb 1, 2014 5:38pm
via Android

If your workout is less than an hour, you don't have to drink at all during

Image_thumb
55 Posts
Feb 1, 2014 6:50pm
via Android

Try to stay hydrated at all times, drink consistently throughout the day. That way your hydrated enough to work out anytime and the quickest way to hydrate after exercise is drinking hot water or cooled water from the kettle so the body doesnt have to bring the water upto core temperature. During exercise just take on a little bit at a time. :-)

Image_thumb
481 Posts
Feb 1, 2014 9:41pm
via Android

As long as your properly hydrated is does not matter..listen to your body...if its making u sick don't do it!!! If your thirsty your body will tell you ! Look at kids whn they are playing outside they are running jumping etc. Yet they dnt load up on water before or after and carry a water bottle with thm to hydrate during their physical excertions..they just play and whn their thirsty they run in and say I'm thirsty get something to drink and are off again.... it works the same way.. ur body does not knw what kind of physical excertion is taking place be it sports exercisie hiking or playing free tag

Image_thumb
18 Posts
Feb 2, 2014 3:27am
via Android

You should be hydrating all day long. You should be consuming at least 8 glasses per day. Over hydrating before you run can cause more harm then help. If your hydrated properly before you run, during your wourkout you will only be maintaining your fluids as needed. (small sips or a few trips to the water fountain as another suggested). If you run first thing in the morning I highly recommend drinking at least 2 glasses right before bed. Also be sure to consume a small amount of electrolytes before and after workout.   ♧

Image_thumb
25 Posts
Feb 2, 2014 10:56pm
via Android

I found that what gave me cramps was actually not the water, but my food not being digested. Eat 1.5 or 2 hours prior to your workouts and maybe you'll feel better.

Image_thumb
86 Posts
Feb 3, 2014 3:15am
via Android

Be hydrated all day... drink plenty of water during your day and few before workout and obviously after.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51