Where am I going wrong?

10 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
78 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 7:44am
via Android

Been at this intensely four weeks. My Daily diet for a 73 kilo man is 80 -150 grams protein. 60 grams of fat 150 to 200 grams carbs. Training 5 to 6 times a week. I have put on 2 kilos.

15 Feb
What you might be doing is putting your body into starvation mode causing you to gain weight since your body is being tricked into storing any calories you get as fat. Also don't just go off of weight it is not a good indicator since muscle weighs more so you may be getting lean but weigh more than you did before. It all depends on how you feel and measure circumference around your middle arms and legs it is a better indication at first
Image_thumb
731 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 9:29am
via iOS
150g protein=600kcals
200g carbs=800kcals
60g fats=540kcals
Total=1940kcals
That sounds pretty good.

You May want to try this

First reset your system. Eat 3000kcals just fore one day.
Then start from 2500kcals and go Down with 100 or 200kcals every week till you start losing weight.

Also make sure you get your vitamins and drink enough water :)
Image_thumb
78 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 10:38am
via Android

Will take your advice on board thank you very much. May need to give it more time as well.

Image_thumb
482 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 5:41pm
via Android

Their are some missing factors...it may be your doing nothing wrong... are you only going by the scale? Did you eat or drink before weighing? What's your training look like? Are u weight training? Before changing anything... make sure something is actually wrong..4 weeks is not tht long... first of all the scale is not the best indicator for fat loss..a measureing tape is much more affective...sometimes we lose weight as we gain muscle...which means numbers on scale stay the same or move up depending on the ratio... but if thts the case you will also be losing inches... also water retention as well as other things affect the numbers on scale... Personally I thnk u shud keep doing what ur doing..use a measurement tape and weigh only once a week make sure drinking plenty of water and such and keep training hard...your consistancy is going to pay off...

Image_thumb
78 Posts
Feb 15, 2014 6:17pm
via Android

Thanks Hanna. Have taken some measurements and will try again in four weeks.

16 Feb
Ull do fine! Dnt be discouraged keep being consistent! You can do it! :-)
16 Feb
And welcome
Image_thumb
144 Posts
Feb 16, 2014 6:17am

Hi Paul. I know you have been hard charging these last few weeks. Don't stop b/c you are doing great. But what is your goal? Lose weight? Gain lean muscle? Both? We might answer better if we knew more precinct what you are after. Fight on!

16 Feb
Um Precisely...not precinct. :)
Image_thumb
78 Posts
Feb 16, 2014 2:14pm
via Android

Hi Jason.  My main goal is to shed some body fat. Since Jan I have modified my diet. I take in no added sugar.  As this was the only downside of my food intake. I have also pushed my protein intake to 150 grams in the last week.  My workouts have left me gasping and fatigued.  I think I shall give it another month. If you can think of any mods then will be grateful. 

Image_thumb
2 Posts
Feb 18, 2014 4:14am
via iOS
If you are gaining muscle and losing fat you may actually gain weight. I gained 10 pounds during basic training, but I assure you I didn't get larger (except muscle). Don't get discouraged as you may be doing better than you think.
Image_thumb
144 Posts
Feb 18, 2014 5:07am

Hi Paul,

I think Hannah and Alyssa both have good thoughts for you here. Basically, you may be burning off fat and replacing it with lean muscle. My suggestions would be - 1. try for at least 4 months. 2. Do the physical measurements as Hannah suggested, esp waist, bicep and neck. 3. Beyond measurements, ask yourself if your clothes fit differently...this was the first thing I actually noticed...pants that once fit had become loose. 4. Weigth is a handy mesaure, but consider looking also at body fat percentages. 5. You cut sweets, which is great, but I'd suggest lean protein and high fiber from whole foods as much as possible. I'm not an expert, but this what i've done and my results after a year....from 20%+ body fat to just under 17%, improved blood cholesterol, elminated heartburn, needed some new clothes, AND my total weight change has been nnly 4 pounds. (so like less than 2 kilos). For me, the body fat / lean muscle told a much more compelling story than just weight alone. Maybe this is what's happening to you as well? Best of luck and I can only say that sticking with it should pay off!

18 Feb
Exactly what I was trying to say but worded better :-)
Image_thumb
78 Posts
Feb 18, 2014 6:14pm
via Android

Wish I could say I've noticed any changes but as you guys have said I need to stick with it. Thanks for all the guidance appreciate it.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51