Plank - tighten glutes

8 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Feb 17, 2014 12:09pm
via Android

Hello, in plank position.. how do you tighten your glutes? By arching the hips forward towards the floor which also makes the lower back have less than a hole?

17 Feb
Check the proper exercise on youtube
Image_thumb
61 Posts
Feb 17, 2014 12:21pm
via Android

I work out on Wednesday ok

Image_thumb
13 Posts
Feb 17, 2014 12:29pm
via Android

I did but they dont explain how yo tighten the glutes

Image_thumb
61 Posts
Feb 17, 2014 12:30pm
via Android

Torrower is Tuesday it is taekwodo ok

17 Feb
Image_thumb
392 Posts
Feb 17, 2014 2:35pm
via Android

Backward plank too

Image_thumb
481 Posts
Feb 17, 2014 4:44pm
via Android

You dnt hav to use a plank to tighten glutes... all tht your doing in plank formation is contracting the muscle and holding it ... you can do this with or without plank formation...all you do is contract the glutes and hold the contraction which is isometric.. u can do the same isometric contraction for abs without plank also... in fact without plank ud probably get far better results for abs by contracting your abs and holding tht contraction..seeing as you can hold the contraction far longer...in a plank your arms and upper body are giving out first not your abs and definitely not your glutes..in fact the same isometric contractions used in planks can be and should be done throughout every exercise we do (Mayb possibly very few exercises tht dnt need to if any )

Icon_missing_thumb
122 Posts
Feb 17, 2014 7:36pm
via Android

Looking in the mirror is probably the best way to see if everything is as it should be. When the say tighten your glutes in plank, you push the floor and do kinda tilt the pelvis. You are supposed to keep everything tight to get more calorie burn but as long as you have proper form it's not necessary.

17 Feb
How does one burn more calories contracting abs and glutes in a plank opposed to caloric burn by contracting muscle groups say off an on through out day without plank? Or how is their more caloric burn in contracting abs and glutes for 5 min in planks in comparison to contracting glutes and abs for 5 minutes performing sqauts??? And how is it determined? I'm just wandering..
17 Feb
I've never actually thought to question it lol. I will ask around! I know I get more fatigued when contracting everything at once as opposed just the muscles needing to work to perform the exercise. Body working harder means more calories burned... right? I dunno. Interesting question though. I will look into it.
17 Feb
Oh, when you are doing a squat your body is already using the glutes for stability and when you force the to contract more, especially on the way up it forces them to be used even more, therefore more butt benefit. In plank though, the glutes are not being use much so its not going to make much of a difference.
17 Feb
I'm not sure...contracting the muscle and holding it is isometric..it is said that the eccentric or negative portion or motion of an exercise is what tears the most muscle fiber which is whats necessary for muscular growth..so which would burn more calories and isometric hold and contraction which doesn't hav an eccentric load or contraction of the muscles during an active compound exercise emphazing the eccentric motion? Which burns more calories? Wall sqauts or sqauts? Pushups or planks? I'm sorry...I question everything... if you do find out Id sure like to knw ..thanx
17 Feb
Hmmm I never thought tht during sqauts ur glutes are being used as a stabilizer...makes sense tho... :-)
Icon_missing_thumb
122 Posts
Feb 17, 2014 8:57pm
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF00421331 Is a an article where they researched 14 subjects with an EMG testing the eccentric, isometric, and concentric movements with a squat, "It was found that the force which the muscles generated was greatest during eccentric contraction, lower during isometric and lowest during concentric contraction. Energy expenditure was slightly greater during concentric than eccentric contraction". What I take from this is that calorie burn is greatest to least in this order: concentric, eccentric, then isometric.
17 Feb
Which is weird because yesterday I tried a wall sit for a minute and was struggling way more than I would during a minute worth of (no extra weight) squats. It seemed as if my quads were using much more energy (energy used is a calorie) and that's why they were shaky and my heart rate went way up. Or perhaps it's because wI hardly do them lol
18 Feb
Thts interesting...so concentic by ths study burns more calories then the eccentric..which a good example of concentric strength is performing a bicep curl and eccentric is also preferred to as the "negative " range of motion and so the "positive " range of motion is concentric...in static or isometric strength the muscles are neither lenghthening nor shortening and have no range of motion..so isometric is neutral... its amazing tht muscle growth is caused by pretty much tearing muscle fiber and rebuilding it...which happens during the "negative" eccentric motion not conentric or so I'm told and told again yet more caloric...
18 Feb
Well maybe..or it could be a matter of adaptation...say I do air sqauts 100 a day... first thing is your using no weight so the only resistance is your body weight...same as a wall squat...yet your doing 100 a day without adding resistance as muscle fiber breaks down and rebuilds it builds in order to adapt to a given stress load..if ur doing sqauts everyday with exact resistance your body has done adapted to current load their no longer is any stress
18 Feb
You do build strength with isometric contractions, but not muscle hypetrophy. The muscle will essentially stay the same size but will become toned and have a higher endurance. We achieve benefits from all three so it is best to incorporate them all into our workouts for strength, calorie burn, or endurance.
18 Feb
As for the wall sqauts its time under tension... if I'm holding a wall sqaut exactly 1 min everday before long the stress load is adapted and no longer are u sweating it....the only way to change ths is by adding stress..weight to sqauts and more time under tension..the reason one was harder is one was adaptive the other under stress???

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51