A little help getting started?

4 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
Feb 26, 2014 7:44am
via iOS
So sadly over the last year I've gained about 40 pounds, I've just really started to notice and I'm very upset with myself. I'm attempting to eat healthy and now I want to lose weight not only for my looks but for my health. Both sides of my family are very unhealthy like cancer, diabetes, heart disease, so on so forth run in my family. My issue is this, how do I stop eating the bad foods that taste so good and get on track without slipping and how do I get myself to workout? I have little to no motivation. I work 12 hour shifts every other weekend and I can even work out there because there's some exercise equipment but I just don't have any motivation to get off my lazy butt and do it -.- I also need to build muscle in the arms and core area..I'm a female emt and I want to be able to lift people without struggling or looking at the men in the room and telling them to do it. Is anyone interested in being workout buddies?
Image_thumb
3 Posts
Feb 26, 2014 10:46am
via Android

Getting enough sleep is the best place to start. That means sleep. Not just lying around being lazy. When you are rested, you will have more energy and not crave the high calorie junk food. Think of food not so much as something that tastes good, but as fuel for your body. You wouldn't knowingly put bad gas in your car, so why put bad fuel in your body? Be proud of good food choices.

As for lifting exercises, focus on your legs and back along with your core.

For motivation, you could think of yourself as a good example to the public you are helping.

Good luck.

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Feb 26, 2014 11:50am
via Android

I think the best thing to do when getting started is to actually schedule your workout into your day. Put it on your calendar with a time and place. Also have your workout planned out before you start. If you wait until you are at the gym to pick a workout you are much more likely to go the easy route.
You can do it, getting started is the hardest part! Don't let yourself give up!

Image_thumb
952 Posts
Feb 26, 2014 11:51am
via Android

You gotta take little steps and not let setbacks feel like complete defeat. Its difficult to change everything at once but we all have a tendency to set our expectations too high with fitness goals. We know we shouldn't eat junk so it becomes an all-or-nothing goal and when we fail we completely give up and eat more junk with this attitude like "what's the use, I obviously can't do it"

Take small steps. Three to seven minute workouts. A ten minute walk every day or every other day. Cut out one junk food or food group at a time. Eat a fruit and some whole grains at breakfast. Yogurt with granola & fruit is awesome. Eat one vegetable as a snack per day...like cucumber or carrot is simple. There was a period of my life where I wanted to cut out eating convenience store cookies in the afternoons when I got hungry, so I would buy a ton of fruit and say to myself I could eat as much as I wanted as long as I was eating fruit and not cookies. Stuff like that works for me, limits with no limits. I ended up eating a lot of fruit which some may say it was too much fruit sugar but really it was a good change for my quality of life. Switch to eventually only drinking water as a beverage, with black coffee or unsweetened tea. Liquid calories are a huge contributer to the obesity crisis.

Small simple.progressive changes are way more likely to succeed for implementing a real life change.

You can do this. There is absolutely no real reason why you can't. You are not some one in a million special case who just CAN'T get healthy with some simple life changes. You just gotta keep getting back on it when you fall off.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51