A question for kettlebell-ers!

4 posts | Original | Recent
61 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 9:55am
via Android

I have a 5kg kettlebell (that's about 11 pounds). I can do 10 reps of 2 handed kettlebell swings in about 20 secs With the 5kg kettlebell. But I want to be able to do a 10 reps in 15 secs Only.

Shall I increase the weight to 7.5 kg (16.5 pounds) or shall I train more with 5kg kettlebell?

Honestly the 5 kg is not heavy enough I know , & it kinda pauses at the top of swing (don't know the reason why?) Maybe because the weight is light, but am still practicing!

13 Mar
It really depends on your own strength. I'm 6'5" and 320 lbs and I swing a 40lb kettlebell. Make sure at the top of your swing, you are not going higher than your sternum (or heart). There will be a slight pause anyway since gravity takes over to drop the kettlebell again. Also, I use a homemade kettlebell made from 1"steel pipes and I can add or subtract weight plates as I like.
482 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 3:05pm
via Android

Mmm....Id go with the higher weight... but really its the overall training routine tht u use tht will make the difference

1017 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 3:10pm
via Android

Tbh i would focus more on completing good reps not so much on the time. Faster doesnt really mean better.

61 Posts
Mar 13, 2014 5:50pm
via Android

When I swing the 5kg kettlebell (her name is Enjy btw ...lol) it goes higher than my chest level so I think I got to go heavier.
The fraction of second that it take to go higher each rep might have an impact on the timing.

And yes I've been learning how to swing (2 hand swing)the proper way for a while now & I know I can't trade a good form with reps or timing or both. But honestly I want more...lol.

14 Mar
Then go heavier :p

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51