Running Training!

7 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Apr 12, 2014 6:14pm
via Android

Hi All. I'm doing race for life for third year running but running it for the first time. It's 5K. Was thinking of getting out tomorrow to get my training started. Can anyone suggest best way to start? Distance and if should jog before running? Appreciate any help.
Thanks

12 Apr
Please, use more friendly color of the font. It's painful.
Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Apr 12, 2014 6:26pm
via Android

I'm going to start new running season tomorrow, too. I think about 1.5 km early morning. Don't rush at the beginning and don't forget to warm-up before. The real combine running for 6 km on hills in a month maybe...

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Apr 12, 2014 6:29pm
via Android

I jogged a couple of years ago to train for race for life first time. So not been out jogging since. So would you suggest jog first and lead up to running?

12 Apr
I'm not enough competent to suggest in this training :-) my purpose is to prepare for rugged terrain running.
Image_thumb
11 Posts
Apr 12, 2014 7:07pm
via Android

I'm not sure where your fitness level is at, so if you are just starting out, try jogging for a minute then walking for a minute for 20-30 minIf this is too easy, try 1 min jog and 30 sec walk. Build up till you can jog for 30 min without walkingOnce you are comfortable with that, try increasing your paceWhen I run, on my way back I try to beat my time that it took to run thereThat way you will have to maintain/increase your speed for the second half of your run.

05 Jul
Excellent advice Natasha! Excellent indeed. :-)
05 Jul
Listen to Natasha on this, Tracy.
Image_thumb
8 Posts
Apr 12, 2014 7:12pm
via Android

Thanks. That's really helpful. I went back to gym few weeks ago. So hopefully that's helped to strengthen my muscles. I'll give your tips a try tomorrow Natasha! I reckon if start gradually and continue with gym too.

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Apr 13, 2014 8:23am
via Android

I really recommend the C25k its preparing you from zero and builds for you a full workout routine for the week.
afterwards there's C210k and 21.1 and even a marathon if you'd like haha..

Image_thumb
8 Posts
Jul 5, 2014 9:52pm
via Android

Thanks. I did follow Natasha's advice and am following a training plan devised for Race For Life. Been in training now for almost 10 weeks. Going really well.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51