I'm new! Help!

9 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
May 16, 2014 12:48am
via Android

I'm a single mom, full time working nurse and have absolutely no energy and no motivation. I feel awful about myself, no confidence, and I have the worst addiction to sugar. I have an auto immune disease that could potentially cripple me if I don't take care of myself, but even that is not enough to motivate me. I need to lose about 65lbs. I'm about 210 now. I need help... motivation, support!

16 May
Welcome to skimble Janette.. ,make friends, motivate each other, be inspired to workout... Think about your goal and stick with it!
16 May
Since the weather is getting better why don't you start by taking a walk 3-4 times a week and try to limit your sugar intake to twice a week. We have to start small sometimes.
16 May
Hi Janette! I'll give you some advice that would maybe be useful to you: -find motivation: you can find motivation on internet, always!, theres a variety of pages that give you that little reason you need to start working out. I recommend you to visit: fatmaninalittlesuit.tumblr.com and fitnessgram.tumblr.com :) Get support: you can get support from family members telling them what you are going to do, how you are gonna change your lifestyle, but there's a website (blogilates.com) where you'll find a lot of motivational stories about weightloss journeys and a lot of users creating groups to support each other,...
Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
May 16, 2014 1:06am
via Android

Easier said than done. I've tried it many times before. I'm not sure where to start.

Image_thumb
61 Posts
May 16, 2014 1:20am
via Android

If you really want a better and fitter you, you should also help yourself to cut bad food addiction, then do some cardio...

16 May
Light cardio
Image_thumb
61 Posts
May 16, 2014 1:46am
via Android

Janete try to join the 30 lbs in 3 months challenge I started there, they are good motivators!

May 16, 2014 2:13am
via Android

Hey Jannete. Welcome to the forum. Like u I love sugary stuff. I also had problems with my weight and diabetes runs in all women in my family. Let me tell u. Small changes do work. You start by doing some spring cleaning. 1hour of organizing the house. Keep urself busy. I totally know where u are coming from. Been there done that. Something I learn with time is that ur diet is 80-90 what will determine if u lose or gain weight. That said, DO NOY EAT LESS OR GO ON A DIET THAT WILL HURT U. One thing that worked for me is oatmeal is a miracle worker. One cup of cooked oatmeal in the morning will give u energy for the next 3-4 hours and will keep u full. Is also low on calories and good for ur heart. Is recommended that u eat 1400-1500 cals if u want to lose weight (the healthy way, 1 pound a week). That said, don't eat a snicker or something like that everyday. Eat more of the good stuff. Do some research on healthy alternatives and every once in a while. Once a week maybe have a cheat day. I believe u can do it. U already made the first step in living a helathier life. xD good luck.

Nino

Icon_missing_thumb
3 Posts
May 16, 2014 2:25am
via Android

Thank you Nino. Appreciate the boost! I need help in the food department. For instance, I like oatmeal, but I only like the sweet fruit kind. I can't eat plain oatmeal. Do you have any suggestions? I'm on a very limited income, im a single parent raising a child on one income and paying all the bills etc. I get no help and no child support. I'm barely making ends meet. I can't afford tons of lean meats and fruits and vegs. I can try to work them in, but my son is very picky. I need fast and cheap recipes for healthy eating. He loves fruit but not vegetables. Can anyone help me with recipes and ideas? Shopping lists, etc? Thanks for your help.

Image_thumb
26 Posts
May 16, 2014 2:25am
via Android

To keep yourself from eating too much sugar, try to keep healthy foods like apples in your kitchen as a pose to foods high in sugar like candy bars. Hope this helps:)

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
May 16, 2014 6:57am
via Android

Also some reminders/things I forgot:
- remember: big breakfast, medium lunch, satisfying but tiny dinner.
- eat every 2 - 3 hours  healthy snacks.
- keep active through the day
- drink AT LEAST 8 glasses or water a day.
- green tea boosts your metabolism which helps a lot with weightloss
- fruits have natural sugar so why would you need refined also you are sweet enough
- veggies are your best friends
- DIETS ARE TRASH, what you need is a lifestyle change, keep eating healthy for the rest of your life is what you need, what everyone needs
Oh and by the way you should create an account on instagram and follow fitmencook you'll thank me for that!
Also if you want some motivation and advice, my kik is "craicmila" and my blog is fitnessgram.tumblr.com
Have a nice life janette, you can achieve everything you want if you make an effort, good luck :)

May 17, 2014 1:59am
via Android

Hey Janette,

Something that helped me (I was in the same situation) was to prepare for the week or at least 3 days ahead. Since you're a single mom I'm sure you are pretty tired by the end of the day. And I would know when you are tired you get the first combinient food you can find in the fridge. Preparing your food makes it super easy. Like for example:
-Get a bag of baby carrots and put them in sandwich bags. Approximately 15 - 20. If you have a small dipping container (for dipping sauce) put your favorite salad dressing. I for example like French or buffalo ranch. Read in the back for the serving size and just pore 1 seving. You can also look up in pinterest (which I absolutely love) and look for recipes on home made salsas and use them as dipping sauce. Your son will love this for sure ;)

-Get veggies like brocoli and or green beans. You can steam them 15-20 minutes and them throw them for 5 on the pan with a lil bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and crushed garlic (get the natural one, is cheaper and tasted better). You can eat as mush as you want of that. Serve it with piece grill chicken (serving size is the palm of you had) or a fish.

Losing weight and keeping it is 80/20 (what you eat/active life). Don't think of it as a punishment, think of it as a new beginning with youself as the winner. This also mental thing. Dont discourage yourself if you dont lose weight fast. Your body takes 2-3 weeks to get use to the routine. Also if you don't eat well your body hits a platoon. So don't eat less than 1400-1500 calories a day. For oatmeal my suggestion is to buy the family size instant oatmeal. Is cheaper and you can customize it to your liking. So try this:
-1 cup of uncooked instant oatmeal
-1/2 teaspoon of salt
-1 teaspoon of brown sugar or trivia sugar, or artificial sweetner, or honey, or maple syrup 100%
-1 cup of water
-1/4 teaspoon ginger
-1/4 teaspoon cinamon

Don't have to make it exacly like this. For example you can change the sweener for half banana and ir taste good.

Have fun with the kitchen, learn new healthy recipes, explore new spices and expand your taste buds. I'm sure you will be a motivator for many people in the same position as you. Be the roll model, and succed. A person once told me "food doesn't taste better than what skinny looks". I didn't understood first but then when I lost weight because of little changes and replacement I got super motivated. Again, don't think of it as punishment, think of it as an oportunity and motivator to get healthy, live long, look good and feel good. I assure you that your confidence is going to be pretty high and nobody will be able to stop you but yourself.

Best of luck, I believe in you. You are amazing and can accomplish anything you put your mind to it.

Nino

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51