Runners

11 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
81 Posts
Jun 30, 2014 11:53pm
via Android

What would you recommend as a beginner's routine for someone who wants to get into the habit of running. I would love to call myself a true runner.

01 Jul
I run cross country.... Honestly just start running as long as you can go time yourself and the next add one minute to that run and eventually you will be able to run a lot
01 Jul
"10 min Sprint interval "workout you can try
01 Jul
I will try that, Brianna. Thanks!
01 Jul
Start out slow to build up your endurance. I would suggest run 1 minute, walk 1 minute for about 20-30 min. If this is too easy/difficult change up the interval lengths. Soon you will build up to running for the entire 20-30 min.
Image_thumb
37 Posts
Jul 1, 2014 1:36am
via Android

I started out running most of a mile and walking a mile, now I run 5 miles everyday, want to add more miles by the end of summer so I can do a half marathon this winter

01 Jul
I can't even run half a mile w/o being out of breath. I'm that lame. Lol Jog, yeah. But not run...not yet, anyway. Good for you, Tom! Best of luck!
01 Jul
Thanks, just run what you can, and add some walking eventually you'll be able to run more and more, it does take time so don't get discouraged just push yourself alike further than before you can do it
Image_thumb
1 Post
Jul 1, 2014 1:44am
via Android

I would recommend using the couch to 5K program. Is a great beginning program to get you started. One you complete that then you can move up to a novice, intermediate and advanced program. Best of luck to you.

01 Jul
Thanks, Mike! Is that one listed on here? Can you link it for me, please?
05 Jul
Yes please, cause I'd like to know more about that also.
Image_thumb
53 Posts
Jul 1, 2014 2:00am
via Android

I am using a c25k app I am on my fourth weekI can now 3/4 of a mile now.   I want to run my first 5k by the fallI also joined a 10 miles a week here that's keeps me motivated

01 Jul
Thank you so much for recommending this app Sidra! I will try it out tomorrow!
01 Jul
Great. Let me know how it works out. Good luck.
01 Jul
Will do!
Image_thumb
37 Posts
Jul 1, 2014 5:49pm
via Android

I did a schedule similar to coach to 5k, went from running for just 30 seconds per interval on day 1 to running 3 miles within 6 weeks.  I defo recommend it.

01 Jul
That is what I am trying to get to. 3miles non stop.
01 Jul
I struggled at first, I was stopping every mile, then I increased the distance I ran before I stopped. Stick with it, you'll get there. :)
01 Jul
Download the C25K free app, it's helps train you without overdoing it
01 Jul
Gemma, I am running on a track at the moment. Where do you run and how do you keep track of your miles.
05 Jul
The day I planned on starting the C25k I ended up getting a muscle spasm in my lower right back. So annoying. I'm still trying to get over it.
Image_thumb
37 Posts
Jul 1, 2014 6:36pm
via Android

I prefer street runs but I'm a member at my local gym too (for rainy days) I use several gps running apps like nike, mapmyrun and run keeper. They are all good but currently prefer runkeeper.

01 Jul
@ Sidra W
01 Jul
Thanks I will look into those.
05 Jul
Hey Karlene, you can also go to the store (Wal-Mart, K-mart, Target, etc.) & get a 'Pedometer'; you will find them in the Exercise section. They come in different shapes, sizes, & colors, and clips right onto your waistband. They measure in Steps or 'MILES'. Simply choose 'Miles', & you'll be able to keep track of what you run or walk. Enjoy! :-)
05 Jul
Couldn't running on the street or sidewalk cause damage to your knees due to the hard impact? The track I go to is pretty soft, that's why I love it. But I definitely want to run a 5K some day.
05 Jul
Oh, also, for the times you do 'street or sidewalk' runs or walks, here's another good way to know the distance: If you already know the route or path you'd like to do or take, simply get in your car, if you're not starting from home (or wherever you may be), go to the start or beginning of your route, stop the car, push the button & set your car's 'Odometer' at 'ZERO', then all you have to do is simply drive from beginning to end, or start to finish (for runners & walkers), and presto, you'll have your 'mileage'...
Image_thumb
288 Posts
Jul 5, 2014 2:32pm
via Android

Running app I always use is Nike+running

05 Jul
How does that help with endurance to keep going further?
05 Jul
I only use km n time they do have training mode 5k to marathon
05 Jul
Oh cool!! Wish Runtastic had that.
05 Jul
Get it on play store or apple store they have Nike+running
05 Jul
Wow. Cool they actually have it there. Last time I checked they didn't have an app for android devices. Very nice. I have a LOT of health apps on my phone right now, so I think I'll hold off on adding another one. I've got the C25k, my fitness pal, runtastic, AllSkimble apps, Fitbit, and Samsung health. Do you guys use multiple apps? Or just one for all your fitness and health needs?
Image_thumb
28 Posts
Jul 5, 2014 4:43pm
via Android

I want too

05 Jul
Do you just lack the motivation? Or don't know where to start?
05 Jul
Seriously don't know how to start ..it will be so hard
Image_thumb
53 Posts
Jul 5, 2014 7:01pm
via Android

OK so someone  told me about Gmap pedometer. Com .  the gps signals on my phone sucks.  On this site you can map out you running routesIt shows how many miles or km you map out.   I mapped out a 1 mile in route around my neighborhoodI walk /run it 4 times aroundI will use it to continue training for my first 5k.  I am using c25k app from zen labsIts working for me.

Image_thumb
53 Posts
Jul 5, 2014 7:02pm
via Android

BTW I had to change my infoKarlene is Sidra

Image_thumb
109 Posts
Jul 5, 2014 7:20pm
via iOS
Hey!this is how i started:i was overweight and even could not imagine myself running.i started to walk,everyday i came home by walk-around 5km,during the working day if i have something to do outside the office,i walk.and on the 3rd month of just walking i realized that i have a feeling i want to move faster,i was kind of a very light during my walks.so i went for my first runs.now it is my 5th month and i am easyli running 8-10km and it makes me pleasure.but first-try reguar walks,im not sure if it is very healthy if you are out of breath while running.walks will make you stronger and you will be used to cardio exercises.
05 Jul
This is very true, Anete! I think if I wanted to lose weight fast and see results faster, then I would need to run. But like you said, if you know you're overweight and no way you can run, then walking/power walking is probably the best thing to do. Thank you for sharing.
07 Jul
Good job! I lost 5.5 stone by running and eating healthy. Took me 2 years though. A few pounds have crept back on lately :( hoping to shed them over the next few months. This app is really helping.
07 Jul
Di power walks r good for beginning then gradually start running that's what I learned at a health rehab in Taiwan it's called newstart I had bad calastro good ones r fine but they say my goal was to gain weight

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51