Weight gain for hard gainer?

4 posts | Original | Recent
10 Posts
Jul 23, 2014 12:27pm
via Android

I'm one of those high metabolism, skinny guys, hard gainer, mostly ectomorph.
Looking to gain some muscle, general tone, lean muscle. Between 5-10lbs
Anyone else, guys and gals, trying to gain as well? Any tips on workouts, diets, anything useful?
Much appreciated

23 Jul
Same here, from what I've researched, you have to work 3 times a week and eat lots of healthy fats like avocado's and nuts, fish...And for the workout you want to target different muscles every time. For exemple, biceps and shoulders on Monday, legs and abs on Wednesday and back and triceps on Saturday
23 Jul
This describes me exactly. I've been increasing my protein intake a lot and eating some foods that are fattening (healthy kind like yogurt). This issue is really hard with me too because I have an eating disorder but it's getting results.
7 Posts
Jul 23, 2014 4:33pm
via iOS
Hey Adam

The most common mistake made by people wanting to gain weight is not taking in enough calories. You may think that you eat a lot during the day but when you actually break it down and count up the calories, it will be significantly less than what you need to add weight. You need to find out what your body needs to maintain your weight now. Try a site like acaloriecounter.com.  It takes your height, weight, age, gender and activity level determine how many calories you need a day to maintain your current body weight.  Since you want to gain weight, you will want to add calories to that number.....I've always tried to shoot for 500 calories over my maintence number. For example, I am 5'10, 195 lbs, 29, male, and light activity(I only workout 1-3 times a week). I need roughly 2500 calories a day just to maintain my weight, so when I want to gain weight, I will need to take in 3000 calories a day. The more active you become and more u workout the  more calories you will need to intake. It's all about the numbers when gaining/losing weight. In order to make sure it is good weight u are putting on....the general rule of thumb is 40/40/20.  Meaning 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat. 

Hope this helped....there is plenty of info out there on the web. It is a full time job keeping up with calories every day and eating every 3 hours but if bulking up is what u want... It is the way to success.

Just remember, when in doubt keep eating!

29 Posts
Jul 23, 2014 6:23pm
via Android

Definitely a good amount of protein and a well balanced diet like troy outlined. There are some protein powders that are good to mix in with your food that are especially potent after a workout, meaning you'll benefit the most from them in terms of muscle growth if you ingest some post workout. Hope it works out for you! 

10 Posts
Jul 29, 2014 9:43pm
via Android

Cheers for the advice guys. I'll eat even more!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51