8 home gym essentials?

10 posts | Original | Recent
166 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 4:57am
via Android

Hey guys, I need your advice! This week I'll be picking up a few small home gym items. Which got me wondering; if you had to pick 8 and only 8 essential home gym items ...what would they be?
By the way, right now I only have an adjustable dumbbell set, kettlebells, ankle weights, exercise mat and yoga mat. Can't wait to hear your suggestions!

28 Jul
Depends on space! If space is limited then a pullup bar with what you have! Unlimited space then Rappa nailed it!
1017 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 5:12am
via Android

1. Powerrack for squats.
2. A good bench type.
3. Olympic barbell.
4. Weight plates.
5. Pull up bar.
6. Swissbal
7. Enough dumbells
8. Everything else

28 Jul
Thx Rappa, good list!
28 Jul
I want to get an exercise ball to be able to do dumbbell work off it, but I keep hearing that they can pop?!!
28 Jul
Honestly Rapp. Hit it right on the head also grab u a jumprope & ankle weightes
28 Jul
Awesome! Got a good list going now :-) You guys are the best man!
28 Jul
Out door kick bag for fitness warmup....chin up bar can be built in to bag holder....barbel for squats dead lifts etc...dumbell set sure you know what to do with them...bench if you have room...skipping rope cheapest and does its job so well...150 to 300kg grippers bothing build forearms like them and helps with weights too pretty much what I have at home. Thou I do most of my workouts in gym. A multi gym set would cover some of them and it would add leg work aswell
166 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 5:53am
via Android

By the way, if you want to include more than 8 ... go for it! 

28 Jul
Whoops forgot to add in the foam roller, but it's my least favourite : it seriously hurts;)
52 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 5:54am
via Android

Everything Rappa said lol!
Don't forget the foam roller, medicine ball or 2 and an ab wheel

28 Jul
Foam rollers are already on the list :-)
9 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 9:07am

My home gym has kettle bells, skipping ropes, resistance bands, a tractor tyre, yoga mats, medicine balls, a boxing bag, dumb bells, barbells, a bench, a kick pad, and a fit ball:-) love mixing my working out between a home gym, working out at the park (kids monkey bars are the bomb), and the gym

2 Posts
Jul 28, 2014 12:20pm
via Android

1.yogo mat
3.medicine ball
4.pull up bar
6.jump rope
8.barbell and weight plates for it:)

28 Jul
Thx Meghan, great list! I totally forgot about plyo-box! I used to use them all the time when I played basketball. I'm gonna have to add "bigger apartment" to the list, lol.
28 Jul
Welcome haha=)
72 Posts
Jul 29, 2014 3:00am
via Android

I'm way behind .All I got is a pair select tech dumbbells an a pull up bar..heart strong tho and

159 Posts
Aug 2, 2014 7:22am
via Android

A yoga mat
A detachable pullup bar
A pair of light weights for cardio
A pair of heavy weights or a kettleball
Those stretchy exercise bands

.. That should do it

13 Posts
Aug 21, 2014 4:06pm
via iOS
I personally have never owned a gym membership or worked out in commercial gym in my entire life. Here's a Partial list of equipment that I have in my own personal basement gym. I'll make my list in the order of what equipment I use the most...

1) Olympic barbell and plates

2) Power block adjustable dumbbells

3) Half or full cage (power rack) With pull-up bar attached

4) Bench

5) Resistance bands

6) Medicine balls

7) Kettlebells

8)TRX Suspension trainer

I'm going to add honorable mention to:  Stability balls, Ab wheels,  and foam rollers
I will mention I have Loads more equipment:  High and low cable pull machines, Heavy bags, Dip bars,  Treadmill,  etc... but the list above is the equipment I use daily. 
21 Aug
Awesome list Rogue! I think I have a complete idea of what I need for a total home gym now. Just not sure I'll have the space, lol. Thx again man, much appreciated :-)
21 Aug
I will mention this, (and it is perplexing as heck)... The 2 times that I got in What I consider to be the best shape of my life... Was at a time that I actually didn't have a gym available to me!! & i was doing only bodyweight exercises. How's that for Confusing!
21 Aug
@Rogue how did your leg day routine look like using bodyweight...
21 Aug
Lol, that is interesting! It's hard to figure out. I will say this though, diet diet diet. Since I talked to yourself and others about nutrition it's made a huge difference! I'm at 196 now and only 11 lbs from my goal. But, my strength has stayed the same; I'm definitely leaning out but why reps and strength seem to be maintaining. But to what you were saying about being at your best with just bodyweight resistance; any theories on why that is?
22 Aug
Hey guys, Let me start by saying I was sh-sh-shredded! And while I might not have gained any new muscle... I certainly didn't lose any either! And my cardio was at a all time high as I concentrated on running and fullbody circuits. @Henry... The exercises I threw in for my legs consisted mostly of walking lunges, bodyweight squats, box jumps & Jump split squats as I recall. I did Huge fullbody circuits Monday, Wednesday, & Friday and ran almost every single day between 5 & 17k.
10 Posts
Aug 22, 2014 10:23pm
via Android

1) dumbbells
2) extra weights
3) push up bars
4) exercise ball
5) exercise mat
6) foam roller

I wouldn't need 8 items, this is all the items I have now, and its more than enough for me, and I've never been to a gym in my life.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51