Do protein shakes work?

7 posts | Original | Recent
7 Posts
Aug 19, 2014 6:45am
via Android

I've been drinking 30g of protein first thing in the morning and after I work out for the past month. So far I've only gained about three pounds. Have you seen any noteworthy results from protein shakes? If so, how much muscle have you gained? How much did you have to drink? How long did it take to see those results?

A 106 lb former vegetarian.

19 Aug
Gaining weight comes down to one simple thing...consuming more calories than use around 2000 just being alive more with any physical activity...protein alone will not make you gain weight...its the calories which is why bulking powers were invented they also contain carbs and high calorie content
19 Aug
Protein shakes are good, but regulate your intake. Protein can help burn fat but depending on your regiment it can build muscle adding weight. Research and try kale and spinach shakes and smoothies. Great for,weight loss
3 Posts
Aug 19, 2014 7:09am
via Android

I've been using them for weight-loss but I have a few ideas. First of all do you mix yours with milk or water? That might sound like a stupid question but some people do it. If you use milk try whole milk. The milk fats are good for you and will help your body absorb the nutrients. It will also help keep you fuller longer.

Do you have your shake with anything solid? Try it with a piece of fruit like a banana. The potassium in bananas is great for preventing muscle cramps.

It doesn't matter how much of it you drink, neither weight nor muscle will arrive overnight. It tkes time.  You have to build it slowly so you don't injure yourself. I prefer to use my own body weight/resistance to build muscle.  That way I know I'm not doing too heavy, too soon. Good luck!

70 Posts
Aug 19, 2014 7:14am
via Android

Hi I haven't actually used protein shakes myself but I believe they are great and convenient for people to get extra protein before doing body building workouts cuz protein helps you gain muscle as you probably already know.

I've also read that it can suppress your appetite making you eat less and therefore lose weight.

I would just give it time, keep working out and having your shakes and watch your calorie intake is high enough.

Hope you get some better advice from others but I hope cud help a lil...

4 Posts
Aug 19, 2014 4:25pm
via Android

Im not sure where you're getting info from, you make it sound like drinking a protein shake alone will build muscles. Protein shakes are something that will help you get results but what it really comes down to is how you train. If your wanting to gain muscles then you need to focus on increasing your calorie intake and when you lift weights continue to add more weight.

168 Posts
Aug 19, 2014 8:50pm
via Android

No long explanation here. The answer is plain and simple.

YES! they do work IF used right. Like everything else, read label before use. Of course, results may vary... Everyone is built differently.

1 Post
Aug 19, 2014 10:48pm
via Android

When I was getting ready for basic I was drinking one serving of isomass extreme weight gainer. In a month and a half I gained 14 pounds and I was at the gym 5 ttimes a week for no less than 3 hours at a time. I would drink it right after I worked out. With 2% milk it had around 1100 calories and a huge combo of proteins, carbs and vitamins.

18 Posts
Aug 20, 2014 1:09am
via Android

Whey protein IS a viable food source and can be a main food source on a healthy diet you take a high quality protein with almond milk and a scoop of natural peanut butter or coconut oil you'll have a great tasting meal replacement with a good amount of healthy calories you can have twice a day. But like others say moderation is key chicken and fish is a good food source on a healthy diet but you can't eat it all day every day variety is essential and ensure your nutrient intake is sound otherwise all your efforts are in vane

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51