How to run without feeling embarrassed

12 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
1 Post
Sep 27, 2014 12:22am
via Android

I live in a development with a few side streets and I always wanted to go running down there. Of course it would be more of a jog but I really wanted to increase my cardio. But everytime I get the courage to I always get discouraged seeing people outside and knowing they're watching me. I always think they're think,"well she isn't very fit why is she running?" I've tried bringing my dog so he could be my support but it just made me feel worse. Could someone please give me some encouraging words?

27 Sep
Who are they that their opinion is so important? At least you're working on being healthier and not simply just sitting around watching people in the neighborhood! :-)
27 Sep
Go get it Jess!!.... there probably saying I got my a** out there to:-)
27 Sep
Use it as motivation to run faster. Be gone before they have a chance to stare. Lol
27 Sep
Say screw it and go run. If your neighbors talk, what they are really thinking is I wish I had the determination and ability to run myself.
28 Sep
I used to feel that way too, but when you start running just focus on your breathing and keep going! I wear headphones and bring my my dog. Blocks out the noise and keeps me running
Image_thumb
2 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 12:36am
via Android

Well said Anthony ,don't worry about what others are thinking nobody gets ahead thinking like that you are more important than their opinion

Image_thumb
821 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 12:39am
via Android

Don't care what people think. If your doing cardio or anything to better your life people respect that. I felt embarrassed going to the gym when i started. I would struggle benching 25s while everyone else was doing much more. If i would have stopped i would never have built muscle and now i am benching 1.5 x my weight. Everyone starts at the bottom. Remember that.

Image_thumb
157 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 12:58am
via Android

I ride my bike on trails and along the road, I see a lot of people running. I always think it is great to see people (regardless of what their current athletic condition is) taking the steps to a healthier lifestyle. Don't let the opinions of couch potatoes drag you down to their level. Exercise releases endorphins (mood elevators,) and is the best cure for depression. So put on some headphones and ignore the world around you while you start to feel more self-confident with each run you take. :)

Image_thumb
21 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 3:04am
via Android

Just run. Don't think about what's going on around you. Just focus on your music, if you listen to any,  and focus on why you're out there. Just do you and let them stare. If they're thinking she's not fit why is she running,  they're literally dumb. Isn't that why people workout. So I say let them watch. Plus if that's how they think or feel then they can go.hang out with their snobby friends and narrow minds. Good luck. Just go out and jog. It's your life and your world too.

Image_thumb
99 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 11:29am
via Android

I used to feel the same about running outside too but I'd try to block everyone out then I'd get beeped at which would make me more embarrassed.

27 Sep
Most of America barley gets off the couch, if you're running you shouldnt be embarrassed for any reason. You're already doing more then most of the country.
Image_thumb
1 Post
Sep 27, 2014 4:04pm
via Android

I run with my wife, sort of. She runs ahead of me, as and I wear something ridiculous. If anyone even notices her it's because they are feeling sorry for her because some weirdo is behind her. Plus we see a lot of people running all the time. Unless you are a stripper running in pasties and a g-string most people forget they even saw you. If you can't find a friend to dress as Spider-Man to distract from you remember most people are dumb and won't remember. Hopefully they are more concerned with their own crap. If anything think about how much better you are going to look and feel than they are.

Image_thumb
130 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 5:21pm
via Android

Okay firstly you are doing this for you. Those people have zero clue about the courage it takes to run in public. I run occasionally in public but when I do, I really have zero consciousness of those around me. Headphones in. Music on. And some great clothes and trainers on = success for a great run.

Funky_side_crow_thumb
289 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 11:43pm
via Android

Maybe they're looking at you thinking
"Damn look at her running! I wish I had her confidence!"

Image_thumb
7 Posts
Sep 27, 2014 11:50pm
via Android

Don't worry what u think they're saying. They wish they weren't so lazy. I just put in my earbuds and get lost in my tunes.  The faster u get up and start the closer u will get to ur dream. Just do it!!!!! 

Image_thumb
140 Posts
Sep 28, 2014 3:25pm
via Android

Wear a headphone but only one to be aware of your surroundings. A lot of people jog very early or very late. When I jogged I usually went around midnight. The results will be great though! And soon enough you'll feel more fit :)

Icon_missing_thumb
1 Post
Sep 28, 2014 7:09pm
via Android

Stop being self conscious. either no one is paying attention to you or they're probably thinking the same thing I always do, "at least they're doing it" or "wish I could do that"

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51