Graveyard Shift Workers & Losing Weight

3 posts | Original | Recent

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Oct 8, 2014 12:37am
via Android

Hi everyone!

I am struggling with nutrition, energy and working out. I work overnight just 3 nights but it feels longer. I barely eat because my clock is off and all I want is sleep but have a hard time taking naps and staying asleep. I also go to school in the afternoon so I have to get up earlier some days. My schedule is ruining my motivation. When I'm up I have a headache, feel weak and hardly hungry. Any tips out there from overnighters to staying asleep and energy?

Image_thumb
821 Posts
Oct 8, 2014 6:23am
via Android

To be honest there is not a lot of advice. I'm on the same boat as you. I work 3 overnights and 2 morning shifts 8 - 12 hours per shift.  I also have a 3 year old. It's tough. I have the same problem with sleep, energy, and appetite. I suffer from nausea and migrane often. All I can say is stay away from alcohol. Eat enough protein and whole foods. Take a multi vitamin or 2 daily. For workouts I drink a preworkout supplement after I clock out. And make sure to take a post workout supplement and glutamine along with a protein shake after my workout. It sucks being sore at work especially if you have a physical job like me. So I try everything I can to help my muscles repair. Hope this helps you a little.

Icon_missing_thumb
2 Posts
Oct 8, 2014 6:29am
via Android

I don't take vitamins or a pre workout supplement.  I do drink a protein shake after my workouts and if I'm in a rush and skip "breakfast". I will definitely get those and hopefully that works. Some days I can push through lack of sleep and energy. Thanks for the advice!

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51