Feeling disgusted-tempted to quit skimble and go back to jogging. :(

13 posts | Original | Recent

Head_thumb
24 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 11:19am

I need a rant, because I am feeling just...completely disgusted with my progress since joining. Brief history: Before joining skimble, I lost 105 lbs. I went from 245 to 140 (at my lowest hit 138, but did not stay there with any consistency). I did this mostly on walking/jogging, clean eating, and calorie restriction. But that cost me pretty much all of my muscle mass. So when I joined skimble, thinking to put some muscle back on while continuing to burn fat, I estimated I still had another 10-20 lbs to lose, depending on how much muscle I put on in the process. I'm pretty petite and still have plenty of upper belly fat. (I also have a lot of loose skin from the loss, and know how to tell the difference between the two.) Well, this morning I weighted at 147. Effing awesome. :( Now, I can no longer claim to have cracked the 100 lb mark. I gained 7 lbs back since starting strength training and had to go to Goodwill to buy a few pairs of larger pants (not that 6 is that large, but I donated my 6s because they were too big. Now all of my 4s fit like I just gorged myself on a holiday meal!). My measurements don't seem to have changed much. Maybe slightly larger in the waist, but the tape measure says 'nothing worth getting excited over'. My body fat percentage (if I'm using the calipers properly) hasn't changed at all. I'm still somewhere around 24-25%(ish). I am no stronger today than I was when I started. Okay, maybe I'm a little better at squats, but still can't do pushups or planks any better than I ever could. My core is still in crap condition, and I'm seeing absolutely no signs of improvement from the skimble exercise routines even though they are making me sweat and thoroughly tiring me out. The exercises I couldn't do when I started and had to sub out other exercises? Yeah, I still can't do them. So I've been eating at maintenance to try to put on some muscle, but have not showed any signs of gaining any muscle, and am instead am just going up on the scale and making no progress at all. If anything, I seem to be moving backward. :( Feeling utterly disgusted this morning, and tempted to say to hell with the strength training and go back to jogging and calorie restriction because at least then I see SOME kind of improvement (if that improvement won't do anything about the lack of tone...). If I hit 150 again, on a frame that's built for about 130 (give or take depending on muscle mass), I'm going to cry.

EDIT: To those of you who keep spitting out 'muscle ways more than fat' - thank you, Captain Obvious.  I am not an idiot. And, I DO know the difference between muscle gains and fat gains. These are NOT muscle gains. The vast majority of the added weight is absolutely fat, guaranteed, with only a vey token amount of muscle gain. So, please spare me that particular pep talk.

EDIT 2: the culprit seems to have bern dehydration. Down 2 lbs after upping my water intake. Not sure how to monitor that when I'm getting dehydrated without getting thirsty, but at least the mystery is solved.

15 Oct
Skimble is good no really very good but not to every one if you don't like you can better going to a gym
15 Oct
I understand your frustration. But don't give up! Have you tried some of the exercises which use weights? Strength training is also essential with a combo of cardio. I would get some dumbbells and resistance bands if you can. Skimble has really good resources for that and if all else doesn't work. Look online and create your own exercises! I googled a lot of Circuit training sets and just created my own. They are a little bit more intense than some Skimble workouts but give it a try! :)
15 Oct
Keep your head up an keep up the hard work... like they say if it was easy everybody would be doing it:-)
16 Oct
Maybe you should do more calithenics type of execises. I did them the first 3 weeks I was on skimble and went from a sise 18/20 in pants to a size 12. It was pretty hard thats why im taking a break from it. But im planning on going back on it. Give it a try. It might help.
16 Oct
Katnerine B - I just had to google calisthenics, and now that I know what it is, I can say that 90% of the workouts I'm doing are definitely part of that category. I started off my weight loss as a size 22/24 pants. Got down to a size 4/5. Now, after joining Skimble, I'm more like a 6/7. It's certainly not that I hate being a 6. It's a perfectly reasonable size to be, but I'm not getting any stronger, and I'm not in any better shape. Something is definitely going wrong, but I can't figure out what.
Head_thumb
24 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 1:18pm
via Android

Ziad - I actually do really like Skimble. The workouts feel more intense than my jogs, in less time, but I don't seem to be getting any payoff for the work I'm putting in, which is very aggravating. A gym is unfortunately not a possibility at all in my current financial situation.  It's not that I dislike Skimble - that couldn't be farther from true - but I'm not making progress, even though based on how I feel after exercise, I should be.

16 Oct
How are you diong :-:-)
Head_thumb
24 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 1:33pm
via Android

Samara - I have weights and resistance bands. Those workouts have felt less effective than the bodyweight, so haven't been of much interest. I probably should get 8 lb weights. I have 5 lb which are definitely too light, and 10 which now seem too heavy (they weren't when I bought them! :(  ).  But I do have a dumbell routine in the mix.
I actually am having trouble with a lot of even the 'moderate' routines. I do swap out some exercises when I come across one I can't do at all. I might do crunches or planks instead of fighting surfers, for example, since I can't do even one of those yet.
I'm just getting nowhere in spite of the routines seeming to be giving me a good workout. I feel worked out, but my body isn't getting any stronger, slimmer, or more toned. I can't think of any reason for it not to be helping (though now that I'm fully conscious, I do wonder if maybe my iron is low again. It shouldn't be, but it is something I struggle with - I don't seem to absorb it effectively), but I actually was doing better on strict cardio, which shouldn't be, but is. It's very aggravating.

Image_thumb
231 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 4:00pm
via Android

You know that you can do running and jogging workouts here at Skimble?

Head_thumb
24 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 4:04pm
via Android

Yes, though it's a bit of a moot point. I can jog just fine without an app telling me how to or for how long.

I joined specifically with strength training in mind, and I'm getting nowhere, or going in reverse. If all I'm going to do is run, there's not much point in having an app for that.

Image_thumb
231 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 4:08pm
via Android

Yeah, but this app motivates me because of points, and shows how well you've been doing and I like where I'm at...sort of about 50.

Head_thumb
24 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 4:20pm
via Android

For jogging, I don't see any need for it. I was doing it long before the app. I like the variety the app provides, and I definitely feel like I've worked out after a routine (if I don't, I do a second). But the end result hasn't changed: I've gained weight since I started and that weight does not appear to be muscle. So in spite if feeling the burn, I'm actually in worse shape than I was pre-app, which does not make any logical sense, and is extremely annoying.  It doesn't matter if I'm motivated to work out if the workouts aren't helping. They should be, feel like they are when I'm doing them, but tracked progress tells a different story. Eating at maintenance and doing strength training hasn't made me stronger, just heavier.

Image_thumb
385 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 5:52pm
via Android

You may of added muscle it pushes the fat out making it look bigger over the layer of fat...if you weight has increased then it's more of a sign that you have.

The more muscle the more fat you burn doing cardio.

Just hang in there I've hit points like this many times and gave up, its only now I've thought sod it im not giving up and seeing results I wanted!

15 Oct
I do think I gained a tiny amount of muscle in my legs. Squats are a bit easier(still not impressive atball, though). But everything else is just as hard as it's always been. It's not really that I look different in the mirror, as much as my pants are all too small in the waist. I guess it's hard to imagine this much weight being the result of muscle, when (with the exception of squats), everything is just as difficult as it was on day 1. I can't hold a plank any longer, do any more push ups. The things...
Image_thumb
171 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 6:14pm
via Android

Did you stop doing cardio after you started using skimble?

15 Oct
I didn't stop entirely. Several of the routines I do have cardio as a big part. They are definitely getting the heart rate up. But, obviously I've had to sacrifice the daily cardio to make time for strength training. So, I am still doing cardio, but not the 7 days a week I was doing before skimble.
15 Oct
I was told not to do strength training on calorie restriction, so increased myself to maintenance. I think I'm going to try cutting them back again and see what happens(it's not a huge caloric difference). If I'm not gaining muscle anyway, I don't see how going back down to my previous intake is going to matter.
15 Oct
Are you sure you're doing the strength training correctly? I found out a was doing a lot of stuff wrong because the videos on this app don't really go into dept when it comes to explaining how to do each exercise clearly sometimes.. YouTube can be better for that. Also I'm no expert but everyone is different and maybe it would be better for you if you did more cardio and then maybe more intense strength training than you're doing now.
15 Oct
Silje - I may be out of shape now, but I took karate for 10 yrs. I can say with absolute certainty that I know how to properly perform moves this basic. Push ups and the various crunches are so simple from a technical standpoint that I actually think they're a lot harder to do wrong than right. My current fitness level is atrocious, but that wasn't always the case. So, yes, I'm sure. With the exception of exercises that I simply do not have the physical strength to execute, I am definitely doing the moves correctly. I don't think...
16 Oct
Did you start doing strength training when you were happy with your weight? Or before?
Head_thumb
24 Posts
Oct 15, 2014 9:36pm

(error)

16 Oct
I know how hard it can be but don't give up you can do it....
Image_thumb
4 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 12:57pm
via Android

If you are gaining muscle you will also go up in weight and size... to lose the belly fat do more cardio you need to get your heart rate up around 170 to start burning fat.. get your self a good heart rate monitor like a polar.... the reason you saw a difference when running was probably because if this...

16 Oct
Yes, I know muscle adds weight, but I am petite, with a small frame. Even with muscle (which these gains are definitely not. I haven't gained nearly enough muscle to account for 7 lbs. Not even close, and certainly nothing in the area that's gone back up a size.) The reason this is so aggravating is that my current routines are actually more intense than the jogging ever was. Jogging never left me out of breath or made me sweat. So even without a monitor, it's obvious I'm getting a better cardio response from the routines I'm doing now, but...
16 Oct
Muscle weighs more than fat, if you're trying to get stronger and you're building muscle thus gaining weight it's working.
Image_thumb
117 Posts
Oct 17, 2014 9:00pm
via Android

you need cardio to fight the fat... try paleo diet it helped me lose a lot of weight... when you do the workouts and gain muscle you will gain weight because muscle is heavier than fat so you don't seem to lose weight at all. just keep at it both cardio and workouts here in time you will notice your body feeling different stronger but still weighing as much but you will get firmer muscles rather than fatty tissue.

Image_thumb
1 Post
Oct 17, 2014 9:18pm

I have been combining gym with Skimble. Doing cardio and then a Skimble workout 4times a week. It has been working for me.

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51