I joined a gym but social anxiety is preventing me from going

9 posts | Original | Recent

Image_thumb
10 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 5:18am
via Android

I thought to maybe go at like 3 am, but I'm afraid that other weirdos will have the same idea..

16 Oct
Some people prefer to exercise alone, some like groups, early birds, night owls, No1s right or wrong, we're all different, thats awesome
16 Oct
I wouldn't worry abt it bring ear phones and do your thing ..
16 Oct
I've actually avoided the gym for years for this same reason. I recently started in the gym with a few co-workers which eased the anxiety a bit. Maybe you could find a workout partner. Honestly everyone is there to workout so they shouldn't be paying much attention to what you're doing anyway. After a few weeks I'm sure the people and the environment will become familiar and the anxiety will eventually go away. Being in the gym also exposes you to different equipment and exercises that may help you reach your goals.
16 Oct
I'm standing outside of the gym now, still afraid to go in. Lol I'm such a weirdo. I've been here for 20 minutes.
16 Oct
I take Zoloft. What is CBT?
Image_thumb
385 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 7:39am
via Android

Well in my gym its quieter in the morning around 9am .. people are off to work and the bums are still in bed.

But important part to recognise your anxiety, think about what your feeling and why your feeling when your there the more you learn about it the better chance of over coming it.

Remember that the people in the gym are there to workout as well and they will be to busy to recognise what your doing...you probably wont feel the same so ignore them calmy avoid eye contact unleas needed. Use the imagen your in an empty room technique to keep calm and relaxed.

Try looking for 1on1 martial arts coach in your area...it will improve your confidence a lot.

Image_thumb
73 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 9:40am
via Android

I only joined the gym 5 weeks ago and when i walked in for the first time i actually had a panic attack. I felt so out of my comfort zone having never participated in any kind of excercise let alone the closed proximity of a gym! But i thought, you know what i have nothing to lose but so much to gain. I bit the bullet and i went with the flow. Now i walk in and im trying all different sorts of things. Everyone has to start somewhere and all of those people at the gym were once where i was im sure! Good luck x

Image_thumb
1 Post
Oct 16, 2014 10:55am
via Android

The gym actually cures anxiety mate. The first time will be the hardest but if u try doing a warm up at home or run to gym with a cap on. Earfones help some people but I personally hate them. I usually head straight for treadmill so I can take a glance around and see that no1s paying me any attention. Everyone looks to see when a new person walks in a room its just a protection thing comes natural. Once ur there ul not want to leave. Gets addictive.

Image_thumb
73 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 10:30pm
via Android

Glen are you still there?

16 Oct
I decided to walk around the block
16 Oct
Ok thats gd ur still there. So how about just going in and having a lil go on sokw cardio machines, small warm ups. Like a walk on the treadmill, or a stepper?? Taking deep breaths the whole time & keep thinking how far you have come etc etc??
16 Oct
I would like to... I wish it were that easy. Lol I feel like I need to be drunk to go in.
16 Oct
Aw i can imagine. Have you thought about maybe getting some anxiety tablets or CBT??
16 Oct
I suffered from social anxiety through one of my pregnancies really bad. I know the feelings your experiencing and its not nice. Small steps to reach your goal.
Image_thumb
10 Posts
Oct 16, 2014 11:42pm
via Android

I made it inside via making my roommate sign up.

17 Oct
I'd start out small the first couple days. Go with plans on doing something light that you already know how to do, like walking or running on the treadmill. Look at the equipment and decide ahead of time what you want to use if the machine is free when you're there. Then you can Google how to use it (in case you don't know) and have more confidence walking in. Everyone has had that awkward first few days/weeks and people don't really pay attention to who does what.
17 Oct
Thanks, that's good advice.
Image_thumb
6 Posts
Oct 21, 2014 9:26am
via Android

Hello Glen!!

I suffered anxiety as well. I do my bodyweight in the park. It's composed by pull ups, push ups and jogging. Outdoor (i.e a forest or a park) is the best place to exercise your body and calm the anxiety.

10592720_10153109793326258_8138063226090520623_n_thumb
2 Posts
Oct 21, 2014 10:55pm
via Android

Taking the first step is always the hardest. But do not feel intimidated. You may want to join classes like spin and always be honest when instructors ask who are first timers, it always helps :)
Spin classes are easy to follow but makes you lose a lot. Now i am addicted to working out

Image_thumb
73 Posts
Oct 22, 2014 8:06pm
via Android

Hows it going???

Workout_trainer_icon Workout_trainer_logo_184x72

Follow along workouts & programs on your phone or tablet.

Wt_iphone_featured_68x134 Wt_ipad_do_workout_171x134

Download_app_store_ios Download_google_play_android_172x51